Domestic Goddess sort of query... (Read 752 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I want a Hoover Floormateâ„¢ (I think)! I have one of those Swiffer vaccum things that I'm pretty certain has bit the dust. The lame little air filter thing in it doesn't seat well and I think the motor is full of debris (I removed all of the screws to try to clean it out, but it appears that the case is still sealed shut--probably to force people to replace the entire unit). No great surprise for what, $30 I paid. And we still have to mop the old-fashioned way. Anyhow, our downstairs is entirely unfinished pine wood or vinyl. No carpeting at all. Does anyone here have a Floormate? What do you think of it? We have a low-end Hoover "steam" vac that we have used on carpet (Dane's room still has carpet and we lend it to my ILs, we also used it downstairs before we tore all the carpeting out and it REALLY got the dirt out). Definitely worth the money. For those who have used both, how does the Floormate compare to their hot water carpet cleaners? Can you use whatever cleaning solution you wish? I'd prefer to use just vinegar water solution on our wood. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I've heard tell of the hoover floormates. Most people either love em, or hate em. eh. I'm no help, LOL! I actually bought the $100 one from Target and brought it home but I got it put together and it seemed sooooooo cheap, I just couldn't bring myself to even try it. I returned it. I use a Meile Silver Moon on my wall to wall hardwood floors and the tiled baths and kitchen. Then I mop with a...gads. oh yeah. one of those Orange Glo Hardwood Floor cleaning systems with the washable microfiber mop head. I've gone through several of the swiffer type mopping systems, since I fired the cleaners, and so far the orange glo has been the best. YRMV. good luck. Wink

Jennifer mm#1231

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have read some pretty mixed reviews of the Floormates (some models seem a bit better than others, but still not great from the looks of things). Hmmm...for that price they should be 4-5 stars all the time. Maybe we'd be just as well off with a better stick vac for hard floors and just stick to regular mopping. I'd still like to find a vac that is rechargeable, though. And that swivel head on that little Swiffer thing is really nice. Man, I wish I could hire someone else to clean my house. I hate that. I don't much mind laundry (though we tend to let the clean stuff pile up bad before folding and putting it all away--how do you do it with all of your boys?), but all the other stuff...blah. k

~ Sarah Kay

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I have a Floormate. Does that make me a domestic goddess? Err... god rather? I had it for several years. I got it because I got tired of rinsing the mop in between. The Floormate is decent, but don't expect it to do heavy duty cleaning. It has these spinning brushes, but sometimes I wonder if they even touch the floor let alone clean it. I usually do a couple of passes with it, first time with the detergent, and the subsequent ones with just plain water. It doesn't really save me much time because it goes pretty slowly. It does do a good job at wet pickup. The last time I used it was two weekends ago. I resorted to scrub down the floors first and then used it suck up all the soapy water. Its brushes are only good for superficial scrubbing. All in all, I think it's marginally ok.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...that's pretty much what I am reading--ok, not great. For that price I think I'll probably look for a good stick vac to pick up the dust, ahem, bunnies (and sand, pine needles, cat litter particles, random kid debris, etc.) and keep using my regular mop. I've seen some well-rated hard-floor vacs for about $50, which seems like a decent price, considering the cheesy Swiffer vac was $30 or so. k

~ Sarah Kay

I have one, Blondie. You need to try mine before you go buy one. You know our anti-allergy house with it's absolutely no carpet...I decided the hands & knees scrubbing was too much work. So, I broke down & bought the Floormate. Typically, what happens is that I start with using it on the kitchen and/or bathrooms & then decide I can use the mop or scrub on my hands & knees faster & I scrap it. I agree w/ Mile Collector...it does great on wet pickup. On our unfinished floor in the basement, I can dump mass amounts of Lysol & water & use the broom to "scrub", then suck it all up with the Hoover. It works good for getting rid of the dog, kid & husband tracks in the basement. As for scrubbing, I also question how well the brushes actually touch the floor. I have used vinegar water in mine when I tried it on all of our laminate, but it didn't work out well. There were no problems with the vinegar & the machine, it just streaked the hell out of the floor. But, no need to blame Hoover for that...EVERYTHING makes laminate floors streak. If anyone has the solution for that problem, I'd love to hear it!! All in all, I'd say save your money. For my uses, I'd rather just mop. I do use the Floormate to vaccume the dog hair & dirt sometimes & it works well. My only complaint about the dry part of it, is that it isn't big enough. As you know, we have alot of open floor space in this house & the thing is narrow enough that sweeping is sometimes just faster. And w/ 3 kids, 3 dogs, a construction hubby & a farm, sweeping hair & dirt is a 3 times per day job!!!! By the way, where have you been?? I've tried to call you the last few days, but I think you've been buried under the new kitchen floor or something??? Undecided
              So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

By the way, where have you been?? I've tried to call you the last few days, but I think you've been buried under the new kitchen floor or something??? Undecided
                Derek's cousin Kris and her hubby made a quick trip up here last night, so we've been with them most of the last 24 hours. Other than that just the same-ol' story when my ILs are around. Hey, we (or I should say, *I*) bought this cheesy $80 Bissell contraption at Meijer. It was the only thing that was actually designed for hard floors and does both wet and dry vacuuming. Not sure if it's going to be worth the $$. The reviews I found on epinions.com were pretty mixed and not too impressive. But we'll give it a whirl. If it sucks (or, doesn't, heh) I'll return it and look for a better stick-vac at Lowes or Home Depot, or something. k

~ Sarah Kay

You know what kills me?? Our house is piped for central vac, but we don't have the vaccume unit. Putting the piping in when you are building new is really cheap. Of course, after building the new house, you have to wait 30 years to afford the damn vaccume unit!!
                  So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, central vacs are pretty pricey. That's something we had planned to do if we had built, too. k

~ Sarah Kay

I don't have an opinion, other than to say that vacuuming sucks.
                      My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha! It does...literally AND figuratively! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Pron8r, I love your deep insights!!!