Is there a way to plan future runs? (Read 1879 times)

alhizeer

I have tracked my runs in Excel for years, but I've been attracted to this site based on all of its really great features.  However, one thing I find lacking is an ability to enter a training plan.  If I train for a race, I like to be able plan all of my runs up until race day (and a little afterwards).  I tried entering a run that was dated in the future, and the software allowed it, but the weekly totals and graphs had no way to differentiate between future miles and actual miles.  At the very least, it would be nice to not include workouts in the future in any of the summary calculations, graphs, or statistics. 

A really game-changing feature, though, would be to record my planned miles and actual miles as separate records.  The actual miles would auto-generate from the plan, but could be changed and detail added (like pace, weather, etc).  Then I would be able to view a report that showed me what I planned versus what I did.

Thanks,
    alhizeer

uhhh...what?

It's called a running log.  You run, you log.  Run again, log again.

This has come up a bunch in this request section. Like here.

I think Eric has it on his to-do list.

2017 Goals
        1) Run more than 231 miles
        2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

I wonder if it would do the trick to set up "Future Runs" as a separate activity? 

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Half Fanatic #846

I have tracked my runs in Excel for years, but I've been attracted to this site based on all of its really great features.  However, one thing I find lacking is an ability to enter a training plan.  If I train for a race, I like to be able plan all of my runs up until race day (and a little afterwards).  I tried entering a run that was dated in the future, and the software allowed it, but the weekly totals and graphs had no way to differentiate between future miles and actual miles.  At the very least, it would be nice to not include workouts in the future in any of the summary calculations, graphs, or statistics. 

A really game-changing feature, though, would be to record my planned miles and actual miles as separate records.  The actual miles would auto-generate from the plan, but could be changed and detail added (like pace, weather, etc).  Then I would be able to view a report that showed me what I planned versus what I did.

Thanks,
            alhizeer

I'm with you.  I thought I was the only one (or one of the few) here that actually planned their training in writing.  It just makes sense to me; I mean nobody really follows a training plan off the top of their head or based on how they feel day to day, do they?  Anyway, my brain can't keep track of the details involved in a training plan, so - yes I would definitely welcome the ability to note planned runs on the calendar that don't count in current totals. Until then, my stats remain skewed because I enter my runs on the calendar well in advance.  I change entries from time to time based on current circumstances, but planning in advance both motivates me and helps me reach my goals.   

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Purdey

Self anointed title

Planning future runs is harder than planning past runs.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

...nobody really follows a training plan off the top of their head or based on how they feel day to day, do they? 

I do.

But I'm a nut.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I do.

But I'm a nut.

+1

When I slavishly followed a plan in the past it led to very frequent injuries.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Case in point. I ran 26.2 miles today. Not straight out (what, you think I'm an idiot? No sane person would run 26.2mi straight without rest.)

With food breaks.

It's nice that way, with two lunch breaks.

Not planned at all.

MTA: But I am off-topic. Sorry.

alhizeer

Thanks for all the quick replies!  I'm surprised so many people train without planning the coming weeks.  I find myself injured or not running much if I play it by ear.

I have tried adding "planned runs" as another activity, but it's hard to switch it from one activity to another and preserve some of the other metadata like equipment and workout type.  The best thing I've found to do is just add "Planned" as a workout type, but then I can't mark something as "Easy" or "Tempo", which is a little problematic.

The real big pain is that since future runs are the same as actual runs in the eyes of the software, data uploaded from my Garmin does not recognize any of my planned items and just adds a second run to each day.  This basically doubles all my totals, and I have to delete the plans to have an accurate log again.  Not too bad, but a little frustrating.  Especially since I would like to put the workout type and equipment in the plan and not have to re-enter it after the upload from my Garmin.

Glad to hear that the dev team is working on it, though!

I'm with you.  I thought I was the only one (or one of the few) here that actually planned their training in writing.  It just makes sense to me; I mean nobody really follows a training plan off the top of their head or based on how they feel day to day, do they?  Anyway, my brain can't keep track of the details involved in a training plan, so - yes I would definitely welcome the ability to note planned runs on the calendar that don't count in current totals. Until then, my stats remain skewed because I enter my runs on the calendar well in advance.  I change entries from time to time based on current circumstances, but planning in advance both motivates me and helps me reach my goals.   

Amazing...  This is what I often refer to as "crap shooting".  For those who are actually training for a specifc race(s), you've got to have a clear plan of what you'll be doing this week; next week; next month...a week before the race, a month before, etc. AS WELL AS why you're doing those particular workouts.  When you don't have a clear idea of what you'll be doing and why you're doing them, that's when you start throwing races here and there and hope to PR each and every time and end up not peaking for THE RACE.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Hm. But it might be difficult for RA to match up the actual garmin track to a planned run anyway -- how will it know which matches? They're unlikely to match perfectly. Maybe you didn't run exactly the planned distance, down to the last foot. Maybe you got tired and sore and didn't even get within 100' of the plan.

But OTOH, Eric is a genius.

...I'm surprised so many people train without planning the coming weeks.  I find myself injured or not running much if I play it by ear.

I don't think those guys particularly don't have any plan or schedule that they follow.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Amazing...  This is what I often refer to as "crap shooting".  For those who are actually training for a specifc race(s), you've got to have a clear plan of what you'll be doing this week; next week; next month...a week before the race, a month before, etc. AS WELL AS why you're doing those particular workouts.  When you don't have a clear idea of what you'll be doing and why you're doing them, that's when you start throwing races here and there and hope to PR each and every time and end up not peaking for THE RACE.

Patently false. I know because I'm a living counterexample. I certainly don't hope to PR each and every time. That would be stupid. I think you're just accusing me of this dumb thing without really knowing what you're talking about when you toss this accusation out.

Patently false. I know because I'm a living counterexample. I certainly don't hope to PR each and every time. That would be stupid. I think you're just accusing me of this dumb thing without really knowing what you're talking about when you toss this accusation out.

????

I know we have had some differences--and I can't even remember what we were arguing about before--but I thought you were one of those poeple who would have a plan (my second post).  My first post wasn't even a responce to you.  Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed; or are you still carrying our previous "argument" around???