tender heels (Read 1142 times)

Hi all, I've been lurking for a while now. I'm enjoying the information and humor! This past week, my heels have been hurting a bit. I really don't think it's the beginning of PF. Or is it? They don't hurt in the morning at all. Only after I've been on my feet for a while. It's a sort of dull ache. I just went on a walk with the dogs and one of my kids and wore my old shoes and my heels are aching. They just feel tender and a little bruised, not a sharp pain. My shoes have 132 miles on them. Do you think it's possible that I need some new ones already? I started running in October and started my log in December. Started the log when I got new shoes. I would love some feedback on what you all might think and what I can do to make them feel better. It only started around Tuesday this past week. Everything else on my body feels great. Thanks!!! Debi
      Hi all, I've been lurking for a while now. I'm enjoying the information and humor! This past week, my heels have been hurting a bit. I really don't think it's the beginning of PF. Or is it? Thanks!!! Debi
      Well I hope I'm wrong but it just may be the beginning of PF. This is my second go round at running, my first attempt was in 2002 after 11 months of running I developed a tender heel. I just kept running than one day BAM I landed on that heel and it felt like there was no padding whatsoever there. It took until the beginning of last summer for all signs to disappear, that's right almost 4 full years. I have been running 6 months now with no problem however I remain very concerned of developing a tender heel. Sorry but I really don't know how to stop it from progressing if it is PF other than the obvious......cut way back on the running untiil the tenderness disappears. Undecided

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

C-R

Could be PF or perhaps something changed such as increased miles, increased long run, faster pace, etc. One thiing a sports massage therapist and trainer mentioned to me is that using a baseball or softball and rolling your foot (ball to heel) on it will help keep the area more flexible. I do this almost everyday and it seems to work for me. Good luck.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Do you own a foam roller? If not go buy one. They are worth their weight in gold. I had this problem with my right heel after my marathon. I did a lot of reading about it and found out that one of the causes of PF can be tight calf or soleus muscles. Then I got the bright idea to roll out my lower leg on my foam roller and !VIOLA! no more heel pain!!!!!!!!!!
          Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
            Do you own a foam roller? If not go buy one. They are worth their weight in gold. I had this problem with my right heel after my marathon. I did a lot of reading about it and found out that one of the causes of PF can be tight calf or soleus muscles. Then I got the bright idea to roll out my lower leg on my foam roller and !VIOLA! no more heel pain!!!!!!!!!!
            Thanks for that info! Is this what you're talking about? http://www.workoutz.com/exercise/feet_soles_with_foam_roller I just got back from a run. Had more of an achiles ache today. It felt really tight, like I needed to stretch. I even had a cramp in my arch...that's a first. Had my best time yet though which is good Big grin Hopefully I can find a roller that isn't $50!!! Shocked Can't I use a pool noodle??? LOL! Debi
              This past week, my heels have been hurting a bit. I really don't think it's the beginning of PF. Or is it? They don't hurt in the morning at all. Only after I've been on my feet for a while. It's a sort of dull ache. I just went on a walk with the dogs and one of my kids and wore my old shoes and my heels are aching. They just feel tender and a little bruised, not a sharp pain. My shoes have 132 miles on them. Do you think it's possible that I need some new ones already? I started running in October and started my log in December. Started the log when I got new shoes. I would love some feedback on what you all might think and what I can do to make them feel better. It only started around Tuesday this past week. Everything else on my body feels great.
              This old lady went ski school to learn how to ski first time in her life. This young ski instructur was trying to teach her how to turn. "As you come to the point where you want to turn, just slowly straighten your knees to get your center of gravity up; and then go down low..." She tried and tried and tried some more but just couldn't get it. Then it occured to her. If this young guy is telling her to "just gently straighten your knees", this could mean, to an old lady, stand up as hard as she could. She tried that and viola, made the turn. Watching that, the young instructor said, "Good! Just like that; nice and easy..." We all have different perspectives. "Pain in the heel" can for some mean actually the end of PF where it attatches to the heel bone; it could be right in the middle of the round part of the heel; it could also mean where Achilles tendon attaches to the heel bone on the backside of the heel... "Pain" could also mean something you can hardly walk around; sharp pain; dull pain; pain that gets worse as you exercise more; pain that goes away as you exercise (or, in other words, as you warm up...). I think one of the problems with this kind of "internet" diagnosis is that none of us exactly know what you're actually exactly experiencing... Another problem could be that most of us know way too many "cool" terminologies. I've heard so many times people would say, "Ooooh, I might have a compartment syndrom..." It's still quite rare to have this but it sounds so damn cool! I've heard people describe "shin splint" anywhere from simple over-use shin muscles (you can get this from simply walking a mile more than you had ever walked!) to actual compartment syndrom (my friend is the first one ever to be treated with this complication). So be very careful of how you describe things and how you listen to others "diagnose" what you have--including mine. Problems like Plantar Fasciitis or Achilles tendonitis hurt in the morning when we get up is because these are the issue with tendon/ligament/muscle. First thing in the morning, they are not warmed up or stretched; they are stiff. I can't remember the name but that sock that attached to the high top of the other end of the sock (around your knee) for PF or Achilles problem; that works because it stretches you ankle/arch while sleeping, consequently they are not as stiff in the morning (very simple solution; but quite brilliant when you think about it...). So....if it doesn't hurt first thing in the morning, I don't think it's PF. You described it as a "dull pain" like it could be bruised... I think you have described it quite well; i think it's most likely what it is. I wouldn't suggest to walk around too much because walking involves a lot of hard pounding on your heel. Equally, if you land hard on your heel while running, you might think about working on alternating your running form. I advocate mid-foot landing regardless of the speed of running. In fact, it might be easily if you are moving slower because you don't really need to stretch your forward leg too far in the front (though most slower runners tend to stick their forward leg too far out and land hard on their heel). Think about drawing a circle with your leg; I know this is not the most "correct" explanation but should give you an image of bringing your knees high(er than normal) and "dropping" your lower leg straight from that point on. This way, you won't stick your below knee out in the front and land on your heel. On the other hand, walking involves your legs moving like a pendulum (spelling?) and stick out the front leg straight with knee almost locked; go right into the ground at an angle! If you do land on your heel (as you run), what you COULD do is to get an extra sponge foam material; cut it off in the shape of heel; make a hole in the middle (or wherever the pain) is like a donut; place it in your shoe. This is the same concept as wart protection; but if you have a specific pain that you can actually pin-point in more or less the middle of the heel, this would work...for the time being. You can use the similar technique when you walk around. But most likely, if this is the cause, getting more cushiny shoes may not be a good solution. What it would do is actually encourage you to continue landing hard on your heel and, with extra thickness in the shoe, mostly likely, it would become even more unstable; unless the shoe has tons of stability divices, which could cause other problems because it's too rigid; cause other problems like ITBS or other pronation/supination problems. Try to run barefoot on grass just a little bit. See if you can even run landing on your heel. It would be too hard to do. You're actually supposed to land nicely and smoothly, using arch/ankle/knee as a cusioning device. Now we rely on "sponge" to do the job too much. Observe how you're landing when running barefoot. You should encourage such movements. I think all the sugested exercises would help one way or the other. For the time being, icing (the sore heel spot) would work as good as anything. Fill a paper cup with water and freeze the whole thing. As it freezes, peel off the paper part about a half an inch from the top; this way you can hold the cup as you apply the ice in a circular motion around the sore area. I'm kinda going on and on and on and don't know when to stop...so I'll stop here! ;o)
                Nobby, I want to thank you so much for your reply. It know how long it takes to write that much and you really spent a lot of time to help me Big grin I appreciate it. I know it's hard to diagnose injuries over the internet. I really wanted to rule out PF. I was pretty sure when it started that it wasn't, but wanted to get feedback from other runners what they thought. I've done some research on PF and my symptoms just don't fit. I'm still getting the foam roller because it couldn't hurt. I used a ball last night and it felt really good, so a roller is going to be even better. I really pay attention to where my feet land when I run. It doesn't seem to me like I land on my heel at all. It's more of a middle food strike. I don't take a long stride at all. edit: <deleted> I think some of my problem is bad "fashion" shoes. They never bothered me before, but now that my feet are being used and abused a lot more, maybe having sensible every day shoes are in order. Yay, I get to buy more shoes. My dh will be sooooo happy! Evil grin I will be icing and rolling and taking care of my feet. Thank you to all who replied for your words of wisdom. I appreciate it. Debi </deleted>
                  Thanks for that info! Is this what you're talking about? http://www.workoutz.com/exercise/feet_soles_with_foam_roller I just got back from a run. Had more of an achiles ache today. It felt really tight, like I needed to stretch. I even had a cramp in my arch...that's a first. Had my best time yet though which is good Big grin Hopefully I can find a roller that isn't $50!!! Shocked Can't I use a pool noodle??? LOL! Debi
                  Hi Debi, I paid $30.00 for mine. Look at fitness sites such as www.spri.com I used to teach group fitness (aerobics) so I know where some good deals are. Yes that is the roller I'm talking about. Pool noodles won't cut it...they're wayyyy too soft. If you can't find a foam roller that is reasonable in your area try buying a thing called "The Stick" you can find these usually at your local running store. They're second best to the roller. I prefer the roller because when you use it, you also build up some upper body muscle and work on the core all while giving yourself a massage. Wohoo! Big grin
                  Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
                    Hi Debi, I paid $30.00 for mine. Look at fitness sites such as www.spri.com I used to teach group fitness (aerobics) so I know where some good deals are. Yes that is the roller I'm talking about. Pool noodles won't cut it...they're wayyyy too soft. If you can't find a foam roller that is reasonable in your area try buying a thing called "The Stick" you can find these usually at your local running store. They're second best to the roller. I prefer the roller because when you use it, you also build up some upper body muscle and work on the core all while giving yourself a massage. Wohoo! Big grin
                    Thanks! I looked around town yesterday for one and had no luck. I ordered one from Zombierunner and got an email that they already shipped it! I was only kidding about the pool noodle Wink Debi
                    Go Daddy

I started to develop PF in December of 2005. It never came to the point that I could not run, it just lingered for two years. I initially tried to take a month off to rest my feet but the pain was not reduced. I tried all of the shoe remedies and stretches that were available but none had a lasting effect. It was not until I tried the most highly cushioned shoe I could find did I notice improvement and eventual elimination of morning pain. For me it was the Nike air vomero that did the trick. Again, I was never unable to run due to the discomfort and possibly exteneded the life of the pain by not shutting down completely for an exteneded period. It seemed to be more of a cushioning problem than anything else. I don't know if this will help, just another idea to think about.

Giants Fan

Just wanted to add in my two cents. I had the same problem, turned out to be heel bruise. I got some inserts from my physical therapist, made all the difference in the world. Also got some running shoes with deeper heel cup--also helped. I am now virtually pain free, so something to think about. Just had to respond when I saw that the heel doesn't bother you in the morning, mine was the same way...only after activity on it for awhile. I have also added in some stretching for calves and hamstrings. Helped also. Good luck!

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Hey Midwest...I think it was totally heal bruises. The pain has just about gone away. I still have occasional bad feet day when I have ran on concrete for most of the run. Icing them right after seems to help a lot. I'm trying to find more routes with less concrete and more dirt. I had some heel inserts in my hand the other day, but I'm scared to buy them for fear of aggravating any other part of my body. Wish I had lots of money to try out all kinds of shoes to find Mr Right! Thanks for your thoughts. Debi
                            Hi Debi, It sounds like you've gotten some pretty good feedback here and I don't want to kick a dead horse or reiterate too much of what everyone else here is saying, but I agree that it sounds like the mild beginning of PF. I experienced the same tenderness (feels almost like a heel bruise), in both feet last fall while beginning to ramp up miles for a marathon. Although it never reached the point of being an all-out case of PF, the ache did creep into my arches a bit, and it was still quite uncomfortable and very frustrating to have to take time off to let the tenderness subside. I agree that the foam roller is a HUGE help! As turboterie1 stated, PF pain is often caused by tight calf and/or soleus muscles, and the roller hits them nicely. You can also use a tennis ball for direct pressure on the front of your shins (about 5-6in below the knee was quite tight on me). Another thing that I would HIGHLY recommend is HTP Heel Seat inserts for your shoes: http://heel-that-pain.com/ I'm not typically one to fall for purported "miracle cures," but these things have done the trick for me like you wouldn't believe! They fit right into the heel of your shoes (casual and running), and apply pressure to the fascia right where it meets the heel bone. Its intended to stretch and strengthen the fascia. It was pretty uncomfortable at first since the area was pretty hot, but it definitely helped keep me running while recovering. I hope this helps!