Course dropdown doesn't work right (Read 526 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Sometimes it is impossible to select a route that has not been used in a while.  In this example, I had not used "Five Mile to Holmes Lake" in ten months.  It did not appear in the default dropdown (it does appear now, so you see it in the screenshot below).

Supposedly, if you type part of the name the course list will filter and bring in the missing courses, but regardless of whether I typed F or Five or Five Mile, it never appeared.  Upper/lower case made no difference.  I think I tried H and Holmes as well.

I finally typed the entire course name by hand, and entered its mileage on the workout.  Now it does appear in the list, and the workout has joined the others for that course.

Not a biggie, just a peculiarity.

kcam

I've noticed this as well.  More of an annoyance than anything else.  I wonder if it has to do with the "Only show courses used in the last XX months" option?  Mine is set to "24" months but sometimes courses that I have definitely used in the last 24 months will not show up until I type the name.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I've noticed this as well.  More of an annoyance than anything else.  I wonder if it has to do with the "Only show courses used in the last XX months" option?  Mine is set to "24" months but sometimes courses that I have definitely used in the last 24 months will not show up until I type the name.

Mine is set to 36 months.

eric :)

Two things.  It might have choked on the symbols.  Next time, only type in letters and see if that makes a difference.  Also, did you see the spinning wait icon to the right?  It might take a little while to locate the courses that you haven't used in a while.  Wait until the spinning icon goes away to see if the course is located.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

What you're seeing in the first screenshot was auto-populated, not something I typed.  In the second screenshot, I typed only the letter F.  No symbols.  There's no indication that the system is busy looking things up.  I could probably duplicate the behavior on another infrequently-used course.

kcam

Eric, you may be right about just waiting a little longer.  I tried pulling up a course I haven't used in quite a while and, once I typed the first letter of the course, the fastest I saw it pull up the course was ~4 seconds and the slowest was ~7 seconds.  I suppose it could be even longer if there are lots of users querying data at that time. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Still happening on that particular course, "Five Mile to Holmes Lake".  I can wait all day after typing the letter f, and that course will not appear.  However, if I type the initial letters of other words in the course name, e.g. m for Mile, h for Holmes, l for Lake, the course comes up.  The word Five just isn't indexed somehow.  Anyway, I have a workaround, which is to use one of the other words to find a course if the first one doesn't work.

I could edit and save that course to see if that fixes it, but I won't do so in case you're interested in looking at it.  This has happened on rare occasions in the past, on other courses.  Probably not worth a lot of effort tracking down.

dennrunner

Probably unrelated but I'll just throw it out there.

I have trouble with the dropdown search for one particular course named "GG". The search finds the course but only displays it for a second or so.  Then it disappears and some other courses which also have GG as part of their name remain in view, but not "GG".

GG was not the original name of the course. I renamed it long ago after I had logged many runs under the original course name.  Could the renaming have anything to do with the dropdown search behavior?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm not sure, but it's possible I renamed that route.

eric :)

Probably unrelated but I'll just throw it out there.

I have trouble with the dropdown search for one particular course named "GG". The search finds the course but only displays it for a second or so.  Then it disappears and some other courses which also have GG as part of their name remain in view, but not "GG".

GG was not the original name of the course. I renamed it long ago after I had logged many runs under the original course name.  Could the renaming have anything to do with the dropdown search behavior?

"GG" doesn't work because there is a minimum word length in the text indexer.  When you add a new course, the individual words in the name are stored separately so that they can be searched.  The indexer ignores all words less than 3 letters so "GG" won't be stored and will not be part of the search result.  If you lengthen the name, it'll fix the problem.