New Bedford Half (Read 267 times)

Here's my NB race report. One runner's perspective anyway.

Runners run

L Train

ajitter.

FSBD

Great write up.  You definitely showed the spirit of the race.  I definitely got what I was expecting out of it based on the descriptions.  The talent level was great, the team atmosphere was fun.

When I saw my mile 7 split I also had a whoops thought as well, but that seems to be just how the course is.

I ran a 1:30:09 and came in 402

I keep thinking about miles 2,3 &4 and thinking if I had run those a little less conservatively I could have gotten in under 90 minutes. Plus I think I backed off too much at mile 8 after looking at my mile 7 split.

Here are my splits.

<tfoot> </tfoot>

Split

Time

Distance

Avg Pace

Summary 1:30:11.1 13.21 6:50
        1 6:55.4 1.00 6:55
        2 7:02.2 1.00 7:02
        3 7:02.2 1.00 7:02
        4 6:57.8 1.00 6:58
        5 6:51.0 1.00 6:51
        6 6:50.5 1.00 6:50
        7 6:39.1 1.00 6:39
        8 6:53.4 1.00 6:53
        9 6:49.9 1.00 6:50
        10 6:47.4 1.00 6:47
        11 6:49.3 1.00 6:49
        12 6:40.9 1.00 6:41
        13 6:41.7 1.00 6:42
        14 1:10.5 0.21 5:33 

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

Great race report. You forgot to mention you dropping trou while the people across the street were trying to enjoy the sun and not the moon.

kcam

Excellent report and nice race!  Really captures the spirit of competing WITH your peers and not against 'em.

"New Bedford in March is where you go to see how you measure up against the toughest and deepest running community on planet earth (probably) outside the Great Rift Valley."

At least you said 'probably'!  My boyz (and girls) in the USATF-PA would give you a run for your money.

jfa

Well, I'm not amongst the fast guys here , but this is all really good stuff. In the vertically challenged area that I live in, you have to work hard to get ready for the hills on the Boston course. Looking at the NB Half course profile, if it wasn't specifically designed to be a really good warmup for Boston, then the good folks at St Patrick's had some Devine Intervention.

I can line up profiles of the first 6 miles from Hopkinton with the ~ 3.5 mile mark on the NB course and have roughly the same profile. Get ready for some downhill. Then, the last hill at 12 is HH, then downhill from there. They're all ( even the Newton hills) not that big, it's more about where they are.

At least that's how this beach comber sees it?

Looking forward to the jaunt through New Bedford.  This is easily my favorite half marathon and one of my all-time favorite races at any distance.  Great team and individual competition, FAST course, and some challenging hills.  Love to see the reactions to people running PR's at the 10-mile mark before heading up the big hill on mile 13.  A good friend of mine, and former New Bedford resident, always told me to aim for the church spire near the crest of the hill.  Once you get there, you're almost home... Just gotta finish the final (easier) stretch of hill, turn the corner at KFC and crush it downhill over the final quarter mile.

Lots of good memories here.  This will be my ninth running of the race in the last ten years.  Only 20 days to go!

Well, I'm not amongst the fast guys here , but this is all really good stuff. In the vertically challenged area that I live in, you have to work hard to get ready for the hills on the Boston course. Looking at the NB Half course profile, if it wasn't specifically designed to be a really good warmup for Boston, then the good folks at St Patrick's had some Devine Intervention.

I can line up profiles of the first 6 miles from Hopkinton with the ~ 3.5 mile mark on the NB course and have roughly the same profile. Get ready for some downhill. Then, the last hill at 12 is HH, then downhill from there. They're all ( even the Newton hills) not that big, it's more about where they are.

At least that's how this beach comber sees it?

Hey Joe, I wouldn't say the NB course is similar to Boston at all but it's great prep in that it's a hard finish, so good mental practice. Despite not being super flat, it's a fast course if you run it right. The key is to run those miles from 3.5 to 7 on the edge, without going overboard. And then get mentally ready to suffer like an animal in the last 3 miles. Enjoy!

I'm leaning toward making it again. I'm not ready to race a good half, but I don't want to miss out on all the suffering and post race fun.

Runners run

jfa

Thanks for the tips guys. It's exactly what I was hoping for.

Been working pretty hard this winter and jacked for PR attempts in the Whaling City and Boston. I have been doing my training runs putting my biggest hills in the toughest places. No surprises. Well, I'm sure there will be some but I'm getting as prepared as possible.