Garmin 610 locked up but still recorded run (Read 43 times)

My 2 year old Garmin 610 locked up at mile 14 in the Paris marathon last Sunday.  It did record the rest of the race but showed the lap info for mile 14 on the screen.  I tried start/stop and lap and combinations of those buttons but couldn't clear the screen. I missed the nice distraction of seeing my distance slowly build.

I'm glad it recorded but wonder if the lock up was due to my procrastination about installing updates to the watch.  Garmin connect shows 6 updates ready to be installed.  I've put off the updates because I don't want to lose the ability to upload to RA.

Thoughts?  Similar experiences?  Commiseration?  Thanks!

2014 - heal the sinuses and move to Germany!

2015 - Paris Marathon 12 April

northernman

Fight The Future

My 610 has locked up like that twice over the last month. I think it's on its last legs. You can reset it by holding the power on button for about 10 seconds. Don't know if that also starts a new run or just carries on adding it to the current run. Like you, I'm way behind on updates

delicate flower

That happened with my 610 a few times.  Like northernman said, powering it down and turning it back on did the trick.  The device was just a big ol' pile of shit so I returned it to Costco and got a 620, which is an equally big pile of shit.

<3

mp5f

Commiseration: My 610 locks up quite a bit but always loses the run when it does so.  Master reset seems to help for a while.  I try to avoid most features (stuff like virtual pacer) and start each run with the battery fully charged.  I don't know if those really help, but given the low quality it seems plausible that avoiding the more fringe parts of their software could do so.

I was able to use a second computer to update it so that I could still upload to RA.  It's been stable for about a month now.

Thanks for the commiseration and ideas!  I may have to take over my husband's computer for the updates : )

2014 - heal the sinuses and move to Germany!

2015 - Paris Marathon 12 April