Running and high blood pressure (Read 169 times)

DalTexRunner

I have been running consistently for the past 7 years (ten marathons in that time). About a year ago, I started noticing my heart rate increasing a lot while I was running, which affected my running long distances. A few months ago my physician diagnosed me with high blood pressure and put me on a medication (hydrochlorot). I don't know if there is any correlation or not (high blood pressure and the medication), but my running for the past 6 to 9 months has been a struggle to say the least—my heart rate while running increases quickly, and therefore it is very difficult to run sustained long distances.

Does anyone know if there are different blood pressure medications that might be better for runners or any other insight (i'm 51, 6', and weigh 175)?

Latent Runner

When you were diagnosed with high blood pressure, was it a one-off test or was it through a comprehensive evaluation?  I ask because depending upon when my blood pressure is taken and what else is going on, I can have either low blood pressure or decidedly high blood pressure.  Funny thing, four weeks ago I ran a pretty hard 8-miler right before giving blood at a periodic blood drive my company has; my BP was 120/80.  Two weeks later I had my annual physical and opted to run to the office instead of drive, the run was six miles which I took pretty easy because I had to run home afterwards; my BP was 117/78.  Then less than 24 hours later my company had its annual health screening to determine who gets a discount on their health care, and I had a BP of 147/95.  Go figure.

FWIW, I'm older than you (56), shorter than you (5'8"), and heavier than you (195), so if one of us should have high blood pressure, it should be me and not you.

I guess all the above is to suggest you might want to get a second opinion, and maybe, just maybe, lose the meds.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
      • 2-mile: 13:49
      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
      • 5-Mile: 37:24
      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
      rufustrunt

Doesn't sound like anything to worry about. That is the cool thing about high blood pressure, they call it "the silent killer"...which is much better than a loud killer. Not that I have ever died from high blood pressure, but if I did, at least it would be a nice quiet death....So there really isn't anything you can do about it I guess....

SillyC

Hi DalTexRunner.....

If you're wondering what "other" drugs are out there for runners.... you've been given a diuretic type drug.  The other kind that works well for runners are the ACE inhibitors.

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

If you have questions regarding your medications you need to bring them up with your doctor.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

DalTexRunner

Hi DalTexRunner.....

If you're wondering what "other" drugs are out there for runners.... you've been given a diuretic type drug.  The other kind that works well for runners are the ACE inhibitors.

Thanks, and yes, i had researched that my medication is a diueretic vs an ACE inhibitor....however, none of this really means anything to me other than the fact that my running has drastically been more difficult over  the last several months....i'm certainly going to go back to my doctor, but i'm wondering if anyone else has some experience in this (ACE inhibitor, or Beta Blocker, diuretic, etc...).

DalTexRunner

When you were diagnosed with high blood pressure, was it a one-off test or was it through a comprehensive evaluation?  I ask because depending upon when my blood pressure is taken and what else is going on, I can have either low blood pressure or decidedly high blood pressure.  Funny thing, four weeks ago I ran a pretty hard 8-miler right before giving blood at a periodic blood drive my company has; my BP was 120/80.  Two weeks later I had my annual physical and opted to run to the office instead of drive, the run was six miles which I took pretty easy because I had to run home afterwards; my BP was 117/78.  Then less than 24 hours later my company had its annual health screening to determine who gets a discount on their health care, and I had a BP of 147/95.  Go figure.

FWIW, I'm older than you (56), shorter than you (5'8"), and heavier than you (195), so if one of us should have high blood pressure, it should be me and not you.

I guess all the above is to suggest you might want to get a second opinion, and maybe, just maybe, lose the meds.

my diagnosis is the combined result of a couple doctor visits (bp reading) as well as me using my own bp reading device and monitoring over a full month+.   You're right about the readings fluctuating greatly, but they all are consistently high...i know there are various high blood pressure medications and i'm just wondering if anyone has experienced similar issues to me and has a different type of medication recommendation...i obviously will discuss this also with my doctor, but runners are good resources also! Thanks.

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Getting experiences from other runners is one thing.  Getting a recommendation needs to come from your prescribing health care provider.  If you're experiencing issues regarding your running and you think it's the result of your new medications then you really need to address this with your doctor/PA/NP.  Nobody here is going to be able to provide any kind of assessment and accurately determine if, in fact, the hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) is affecting your running or if there are other issues at play.

HCTZ is a very common, widely used blood pressure medication.  Unless you have underlying health issues (e.g. diabetes) it is considered a first line medication for hypertension.  This does not mean, however, it is perfect for everyone.  There may be other issues why your health care provider started you on this specific medication as opposed to some of the other medications out there.

***************************************************************************************

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Doesn't sound like anything to worry about. That is the cool thing about high blood pressure, they call it "the silent killer"...which is much better than a loud killer. Not that I have ever died from high blood pressure, but if I did, at least it would be a nice quiet death....So there really isn't anything you can do about it I guess....

Only if you're lucky.

You can use other herbal adjuncts like hibiscus flowers, beet juice, green tea to help lower your blood pressure.  Beets and beet juice also effects nitrates in your body which can enhance some peoples endurance.  Be careful of interactions with prescribed medications though, consult with your doctor.

DalTexRunner

Getting experiences from other runners is one thing.  Getting a recommendation needs to come from your prescribing health care provider.  If you're experiencing issues regarding your running and you think it's the result of your new medications then you really need to address this with your doctor/PA/NP.  Nobody here is going to be able to provide any kind of assessment and accurately determine if, in fact, the hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) is affecting your running or if there are other issues at play.

HCTZ is a very common, widely used blood pressure medication.  Unless you have underlying health issues (e.g. diabetes) it is considered a first line medication for hypertension.  This does not mean, however, it is perfect for everyone.  There may be other issues why your health care provider started you on this specific medication as opposed to some of the other medications out there.

Thank you.....i get your gist--go see/talk to my doctor which of course i was planning on...there had been another post previously made by another runner with similarities to mine and it had a good number of responses/comments which is all i was trying to achieve in this post.

DalTexRunner

You can use other herbal adjuncts like hibiscus flowers, beet juice, green tea to help lower your blood pressure.  Beets and beet juice also effects nitrates in your body which can enhance some peoples endurance.  Be careful of interactions with prescribed medications though, consult with your doctor.

Thanks!

SillyC

Like Cookie Monster says,  this is all really stuff you need to talk about with your physician.

But since someone has brought it up?  The hibiscus.  Oh, the hibiscus.

Yeah, it can lower one's blood pressure.....   a bit.  Probably not enough if you're already on meds.  And you need to drink it several times a day in order for it to be effective.  If you're already on meds....  it's probably not going to do squat compared to the meds..

But the tea is delicious and it gets me totally high.

I've got pre-hypertension and I drink a cup of this a day.  I tell myself it's for the blood pressure but that's not even true at all.

From Wiki but who knows:

Preliminary study has shown that drinking hibiscus tea may lower blood pressure in people with type 2 diabetes,[3] prehypertension, or mild hypertension.[7][8][9] However, there is no reliable evidence to support recommending hibiscus tea in the treatment of primary hypertension.[10][11] The average systolic blood pressure for diabetics drinking hibiscus tea decreased from 134.8 mmHg (17.97 kPa) at the beginning of one study to 112.7 mmHg (15.03 kPa) at the end of the study, one month later.[3] Drinking 3 cups of hibiscus tea daily for 6 weeks reduced systolic blood pressure by 7 mm Hg in prehypertensive and mildly hypertensive participants. In those with mean systolic blood pressure over 129 mm Hg, the reduction was nearly 14 mm Hg. Hibiscus flowers contain anthocyanins, which are believed to be active antihypertensive compounds, acting as angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors.

dyuatl

I am older (63) and have high blood pressure for many years. I started taking medicine (Micardis 40mg daily) for several years now and without any ill-effects. I don't take my med before my daily run (maybe I should come to think about it) and have completed many marathons. I guess everyone is different consult your physician for advise.