Does this sound like plantar fasciitis to you? (Read 1447 times)

lilyriver

So as I was cooling down after my 5 mi run yesterday, I noticed what felt like a temporary cramp in the middle of my right foot. But then it didn't go away and actually got more intense, so that I actually had trouble just walking around the house yesterday. I've been taking advil and icing iit which helps for awhile each time, but it doesn't seem to be improving. I can walk but every step is painful. Obviously I didn't run today but the prospects of (a) time off from running or (b) medical bills are freaking me out so much I can't think about anything else! I'm a barely-insured grad student and running is the only thing that keeps me sane... I've been reading a little about foot injuries and what makes me question whether this is PF is that the pain is localized more on the outside of my midfoot than on my inner arch. And while it did hurt when I got out of bed this morning, it wasn't any more intense than it had been all yesterday. There isn't any visible swelling and there is no especially sharp pain when I touch any one area on my foot. It's just the weight of walking that's hurting it. I don't know if it makes a difference to know, but I have relatively high arches. I don't think I have major gait issues, though. Also, this week I didn't rest the day after my long run like I usually do. I was feeling so good I went for an easy run instead -- could that change alone have caused something like this? I just don't know what to think, but I can't think about anything else. And I have to walk to class in three hours! I'm a mess. So any advice would be so great. Thanks!

The Greatest of All Time

It sounds like it could be PF. First thing to do is stop walking around your house barefooted. If you have some Birkenstocks, wear those. Take a couple of days off. Take a tennis ball or baseball and roll your foot over it gently while sitting down massaging the sore area. You can also use a cold can of pop and it might make it feel better.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
        Could be peroneal tendinitis too. I too have high arches and have had peroneal tendinitis twice since I've started running. What you are describing sounds like the same thing I had, intense outer (and even under) mid-foot pain when you put weight on it. I took a week or two off and iced it regularly, then eased back into running. Look at the peroneus brevis and longus tendons in these pictures. The brevis attaches to the middle of your outer foot. The longus makes a turn at the outer/mid foot, goes under the foot and connects to the area around your big toe. Also, the tendons attach to the two muscles on your outer leg. These muscles were very sore each time I had the tendonitis.
        lilyriver

Thank you both for your replies! Will-do on the massage and the Birkenstocks -- luckily I've held on to my clogs. As for tendonitis, the peroneus longus DOES look to be in about the spot I'm feeling the pain. I haven't felt any soreness in any part of my legs, though. I guess in any case, rest (and ice) is probably in order. And then I'll just see how it develops?
            Could also be cuboid syndrome. Just a thought.
            lilyriver

I wonder if you might be right about cuboid syndrome -- I did some heavy googling and a lot of what I read makes it sound like the most likely explanation. Specifically, I read somewhere that with cuboid syndrome, the pain from walking happens when you push off your toes, and that is definitely the case here. But now I don't know what to do. "Going to the doctor" for me is just a visit to the university's clinic, and it seems unlikely that anyone there is going to be able to diagnosis this and perform the "cuboid whip" that everyone says could make this all go away...
                You probably have the answer you need already, but I'll throw in my 2 cents, since I've had recurring plantar fasciitis issues. For me, pf is like a sharp pain in the middle of my heel, so every time I take a step, it hurts, like I'm stepping on a pebble. It's worse first thing in the morning - when I first get out of bed, I swear I can almost feel the tendon snap a little bit. It is also worse when I walk around barefoot -- which I hate, because there is nothing I love more than padding around the house in my thick fleecy socks!!! Undecided This sounds different than what you're experiencing though, so I'm not sure what you've got, or if you have pf perhaps you have the pain in a different place. What's annoying to me is the recurrence of the problem. I had it so bad years ago, I had custom orthotics made. Oddly enough, after I had my son, it went away, and is just now starting to come back (5 years later). What I think is interesting is I was starting to get complacent in my shoe buying. I used to be so particular, and would spend $100 on a pair of shoes, because they had to fit my orthotics. In the last 5 years I've gotten lazy and have bought most of my shoes at Target or Fred Meyer (other than my running shoes & hiking boots, of course!), and now I'm having pf problems again. Just goes to show ya... don't scrimp on your shoes, and wear your orthotics!!! Roll eyes Big grin (and by the way -- those cheap shoes?? They fall apart in a year. The $100 shoes I bought 7 or 8 years ago, I am still wearing, and they still look great)

Michelle

lilyriver

Haha, yeah, I'm all about cheap shoes in every case EXCEPT for running. For running, I'm solidly mid-range! I wonder how varied people's experiences with plantar fasciitis (or any condition for that matter) are? Everyone's pain is so different. You have a really clear and vivid way of describing yours, and it sounds very different from mine, but I'm not convinced we don't have the same problem. All that is to say that I have not yet reached a conclusive internet self-diagnosis of my foot issue! I think tomorrow I will go to the clinic and see how far I can get towards an actual diagnosis there. I ended up having to walk a mile each way to class this afternoon -- since my car's battery decided to die today of all days -- and came home pretty convinced that this isn't going to go away on its own. (I was trying not to look pathetic but I swear I was getting sympathetic looks from people passing me in their cars.) Is it generally a good idea when you go to the doctor with a running injury (well, assuming this is a direct result of running) to say up front, "I think this could be x, y, or z"? Or is it better to just give a neutral description of symptoms?
                    I don't think it matters, but I would prefer to give a general description & see if they come up with the same thing that you think is wrong with you. If they come up with something else, you can ask & say "really? I thought it might be X" and you could start a good discussion that way.

Michelle