Goal of sub 17 minute 5k (Read 8285 times)

But this week, every single run I've felt so much stronger. And I'm running faster at similar efforts. It's been a good week and I'm psyched to see what I have next Saturday.
    Me too. Good luck Llama!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Mishka-old log

Nice interval workout on 4/16 Mishka. Enjoyed the notes and comments about the different types of pain during racing. I didn't like the shorter events in track and never had a lot of success at them. Back in the day I attributed it to a lack of natural speed. Now that I'm older I think the real reason was that I didn't understand the temporary nature of the pain for these races and was afraid to push enough.
      Thanks, dude. Every distance has it's own unique pain nuance. The differences are more distinct at the shorter distances. I think the trick with the shorter distances, at least for me, was hitting the finish line right as (or very shortly after) the body starts physically shutting down. You accumulate so much acid, it feels like your heart is pumping peanut butter through your vessels. It has the effect of sending your stride into these slo-mo, exaggerated movements, and at that point, not only is pain maximized, but you're no longer capable of maintaining your race pace. The shorter races essentially become a game where you manage that feeling according to how far you are from the finish line. Of course it's never as simple as that, because races are not time trials, and you have lots of other things to consider because you have other runners around you, playing their games too. A lack of natural speed will definitely have an impact on your ability to be successful at shorter races, but so will a lack of familiarity with shorter races. It takes a lot of practice to figure it out.
      Mishka-old log

I'm curious about next weekend too for you. For sure, it's gonna be intense. You are rollin' right now, keep it going.
        Me too. Good luck Llama!
        Thanks, guys! Weekly update: Felt like things got back on track last week. Key workouts: 6 x 800, 200m recoveries. I wasn't sure what to try to run them in, so I started a little slower than 17:00 5k pace and wanted to descend the pace to average 17:00 pace for the workout. That was too easy with only 6 intervals, and I'm used to leaving everything on the track. But it's not always necessary to do that, and it was a good workout overall. 2 x 1.6 miles, hard efforts. This workout was a on grass loop. There was no letting up or coasting while running fast, the way you can on a track. These were a little slower than 5k pace, but the surface was definitely a factor. I felt strong, and didn't have much left at the end. Good workout. Long run, 20 miles. Not what I planned. Beautiful day and I got carried away. Had fun, felt strong. The last 30 min was hard work, but I also picked up the pace in the last 4 miles. Great week overall. Best week yet. The extra rest that I didn't want to take 2 weeks ago was exactly what I needed. One week out and I feel ready. Only one hard effort this week. Wednesday, to have time to recover from the long run, and to allow 2 days of recovery for the 5k.

Think Whirled Peas

saWEET. Good work, Mishka.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Week of 4/13: 43 miles, tapering for Boston. Did a 10 miler on with 2 x 2 miles @ MP, that was the only "workout." Ran the Boston Marathon in 2:54:53 yesterday and I'm walkin' kinda gingerly today. Will take it easy the rest of the week and then the sub 17 5k quest is on.

Runners run

Long run, 20 miles. Not what I planned. Beautiful day and I got carried away. Had fun, felt strong. The last 30 min was hard work, but I also picked up the pace in the last 4 miles.
              AWESOME LLAMA! Is the love back?
              And you know sometimes it gets so painful Just like talking to yourself When everything don't seem to have no rhyme or reason We all go Do do loo do do, do do loo do do Waiting for the sun to shine
              Mishka-old log

AWESOME LLAMA! Is the love back?
                That's not what my quads are calling it right now, but yes.
                  Thanks, guys! Long run, 20 miles. Not what I planned. Beautiful day and I got carried away. Had fun, felt strong. The last 30 min was hard work, but I also picked up the pace in the last 4 miles. .
                  You went from a long run of 12 milers to 15 to 20 in about 3 weeks time. How did you manage that? Are you Superman?

Why is it sideways?

You went from a long run of 12 milers to 15 to 20 in about 3 weeks time. How did you manage that? Are you Superman?
                    He's got a long background of competitive running at a very high level. That's how. Plus, he's got *crazy eyes*.
                    Mishka-old log

Honestly, I don't have an answer that I could be confident was truthful. The plan for that day was 17 or 18. I'd be more comfortable today if I would have stopped there. I've been running for 14 years, but I'm not still sure what I'm doing. At least not with this phase of my lifetime of running. Mainly, I'm running hard (often very hard) when I'm recovered, and going short and easy when I'm not. I think (emphasis on the unsure nature of that statement) that attention to recovery has been the biggest key. On a macro scale as it relates to my general health with running, and on a smaller scale when you look at a detail like the increase my long run. Getting that right has been a combination of patience and luck. And I may yet pay for that 20 miler more than I'm aware of right now, so there's always that. I don't know why I ran 20. I don't know what it's going to get me. We have a really nice metropark system here. The trails at the park I was at on Saturday are awesome. I got to 1:50 and didn't really feel like stopping. I went back into the park and kept adding loops, and getting faster and faster. When it started feeling really really stupid, I stopped. MTA: There's a lot of truth to what Jeff said too. At times I don't feel like I've learned much from it. But, one thing that history gives me is a familiarity with the discomfort of running hard. That's a big piece of the puzzle in a sudden increase in the distance of a long run.
                        Mishka, will your race be carried live on Universal Sports? I didn't see it listed, that must be an oversight.

Runners run

I've been running for 14 years, but I'm not still sure what I'm doing. At least not with this phase of my lifetime of running.
                          As a relative newbie, I find this very comforting. I have to believe the running gods will favor your effort Mishka, helping Mr Velich at Glass City must have made a serious deposit in your karma account. Best of luck, can't wait to read the report.

E.J.
                          Greater Lowell Road Runners
                          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

MrH

But, one thing that history gives me is a familiarity with the discomfort of running hard.
                            This reminded me of the story of Peter Maher, a Canadian who grew up in Ireland and as a schoolboy was an elite distance runner. One of his peers was Jerry Kiernan a 2:12 marathoner who represented Ireland in a number of World XC championships and placed ninth in the LA Olympic Marathon ahead of Alberto Salazar, Tosheiko Seiko and Rod Dixon. After school Maher stopped running, smoked 60 cigarettes a day and enjoyed his Guinness. His weight topped 250 lbs. The story is that he was in a pub with his friends watching John Treacy and Kiernan run in the LA Marathon on TV and he commented that he used to beat Kiernan in high school. Everyone of course laughed at the obese guy. Maher decided to compete again,lost over 100 lbs and was able to get into 2:11 marathon shape and in four years was representing Canada at the Olympics. He said an important part of his return was knowing what "hard training should feel like".

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

I haven't posted in about a month on this topic. Still kicking around the idea of really going for this goal or not since I am still pretty far away. Been reading some of the workouts several of you are doing - very impressive. I don't think I've ever put together 10x1200 or any repeats longer than a mile. I have improved somewhat on recent tempo runs. This week was 3 miles in 19:35 and I really felt good (5 miles in 35:35 total). If I had a good race I could crack 34 for 5 miles now. Last week was 2 miles in 12:50. I've gotten my mileage up into the 30s and my average pace has crept down into the 7:45-7:50 area. An easy day for me now is 4 miles in 31:30 as opposed to 2.5 or 3 miles at 8:15 pace just four months ago. Health - I've had the right ankle tendonitis and the back of left knee tightness (they're related) flare up but I could get through it. Now I'm feeling strong. So now I am wondering whether I should increase intensity and stay in the low 30s or get up to 40-45 or so miles/week. BUT I'm coming up close to my time constraints. Which do you think is more effective? I peaked in college in ~16:20 shape but didn't run a 5K before tearing my hamstring (ran 3000m in 9:36, mile in 4:46) on a period when I steadily had 60 mile weeks for 3-4 straight months and no intervals. I don't have time to do that now. I also am 30 pounds heavier but stronger mentally. I do no intervals now - I play ice hockey and that gives me the same attributes of interval training along with the fun of crunching other skaters. I can run 27-28 in a 200 any day of the week - speed isn't an issue (plus I HATE intervals). I am thinking high 18's for an early June 5K but I'm improving steadily enough this may be conservative. I would be looking at Sept/Oct if I zeroed in - so wondering folks' general thoughts on the approach...?
                              Mishka-old log

Mishka, will your race be carried live on Universal Sports? I didn't see it listed, that must be an oversight.
                                Has to be an oversight. I'd just check in the morning.