Running watch for middle aged runner (Read 832 times)

While my arms are still long enough so I don't need reading glasses, my eyes aren't what they used to be.  Even if I did, I wouldn't want to wear glasses while running unless absolutely necessary.  I find that it takes me a couple of seconds to focus on the display.  I do have a Garmin but I only use that when going long or running an unfamiliar route.

Does anyone have experience with an affordable watch with a reasonably sized display?  

The Nike GPS watch has a pretty large display.  I have used my wife's a time or two.  It is a bigger display that the Garmin that I normally use.  As far as I know, the biggest display on a GPS watch is Timex Ironman GPS.  It has a pretty big face.  Jokingly, you may have to swap which arm you wear it on to keep from building up to much muscle in one arm.  All jokes aside, I hear it is a good watch, but I don't have any personal experience with it.

C. Glover

an amazing likeness

RIchmill,

One option which you can explore, if haven't already, is to setup the main screen so the Garmin only displays one or two info items. The display gets fairly large, especially in display area 1.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

For both the FR305 and FR310XT, the font is the same large size whether you display one or two data fields.  Either is MUCH BIGGER than what you get in the smaller fields of 3-4 data field layouts.

I'd configure for 2 fields.  If you want to see more data, set up a second screen with the additional data fields you want, then either auto-scroll them or manually swap between them.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

dennrunner

Several of the Timex Ironman watches have big digits.

Here's an example:  http://www.amazon.com/Timex-T5E231-Ironman-100-Lap-Watch/dp/B00093CZV0

While my arms are still long enough so I don't need reading glasses, my eyes aren't what they used to be.  Even if I did, I wouldn't want to wear glasses while running unless absolutely necessary.  I find that it takes me a couple of seconds to focus on the display.  I do have a Garmin but I only use that when going long or running an unfamiliar route.

Does anyone have experience with an affordable watch with a reasonably sized display?  

Not sure what you want.  If you're just interested in a watch, as other posters mention, the Timex Ironman watches have big displays.

I have had two in the last 10 years.  And used them almost every day.  One lasted about 7 years.  I'm on my second, and expect it to last another 5 or so years.

They're inexpensive, and they work.  I've had to replace the batteries every year or so.  I was able to do it myself.

Having said that, I know nothing about their HRMs or GPS watches. 

Jeff