Heel pain, Stone bruise? (Read 835 times)

AnneCA

I've been having pain on the bottom of my foot, at the bottom of my heel, outside edge. Google research Wink tells me it doesn't really sound like PF. Certainly the morning pain isn't there, and it doesn't seem like quite the right location either. It's just sort of a constant dull ache. The best way to say it is that it feels like there's a bruise there, and the symptoms I've read of a stone bruise match it most closely. Running doesn't seem to make it any better or worse. I don't remember any injury to the area. Ibuprofen and ice? Anything else? A couple of days off? Thanks for any advice!
    Chris UK

I notice you have two pairs of shoes active - one is advertised as a "neutral" type whilst the other is listed as suitable for a "moderate to severe overpronator." Has the pain come on since you started using these and is there a particular reason why you changed?? I recently overused a pair of shoes and paid the penalty with some pain in the ball of my left foot. I took 3 days off and since then I have been able to run through it. 3 weeks later it is nearly gone but still gives me a little reminder after my runs.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

finney

Resident pinniped

I really doubt it's a stone bruise. When you injure your foot, especially by means that involves trauma, you almost always feel it. My money is on PF or inappropriate shoes. MTA - Try stretching your foot GENTLY. If the pain feels a bit sharper when you just start to stretch or when you relax the stretch, but stretching improves it over a few days, it's almost certainly a mild case of PF and you should rest for a bit.
        AnneCA

I wear an Rx orthotic for overpronation in the neutral shoes. That particular pair of shoes has about 187 miles on it, so I don't think it's too old. I do 90%+ of my running in that pair with the orthotics. The overpronator shoe lives at my office, so is only used on those occasions when I'm doing a run from the office/gym, which is not that often. I don't have a second set of orthotics for that shoe, which is why I got the pronator model, although I admit I was making that up as I went along, hoping that since it would be low mileage, I'd get away with it. At any rate, the start of the pain doesn't correlate at all with a run in those shoes. Stretching doesn't seem to have any impact on it. Doesn't make it feel any better or worse. Ice is definitely helping, but that doesn't tell us much. Thanks for the feedback. My orthotics themselves are years and years old, so I've wondered if their age alone meant I needed new ones. But since there was nothing broke -- i.e, nothing hurt, which was huge progress from my prior ITBS issues -- I wasn't inclined to fix it, you know? But maybe in solving that one problem, this new one has cropped up. Hm.