What weather limits your runs? (Read 684 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

...If any? Monday I was able to fit my run in while it rained very lightly. There was lightning not too far away, though, so that made me a bit nervous. Today is similar weather, only the rain is a bit heavier (and it's not even 60º and the temps are steadily dropping), so I am planning to postpone my run until late afternoon, when DH is home. I've already waterlogged my shoes twice in the past week, so it might be nice to let them have a few "dry runs." Is there any sort of weather that you refuse to run in? I'm actually looking forward to running in the snow, just so long as it isn't windy or too dreary (dreary is a major issue in these parts--we have record cloud-cover in MI during the Winter months and LOTS of people suffer from some pretty bad cases of SAD). A cold, sunny, still day sounds really pleasant. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

My dogs are fast, not me

So far, the only weather that has limited my runs is the torrential downpouring thunderstorms we get here in Memphis. My biggest weather problem is the high temps combined with high humidity. I try to run early in the morning to beat the heat. Here it is October 4 and they're calling for temps in the 90's. Dead

Robin

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We don't get super high temps (generally not much above 90), but I hear you on the humidity thing. It can feel like a rainforest around here during the Summers. I will admit that by the end of Summer I really seemed to be pretty acclimated to running in 80º+ with high humidity...but I did make my runs in the evening as much as possible and along shady routes. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Ice or a ton of snow will tend to mess with my running and send me scrambling to find access to a treadmill.

Runners run

I would have to say lightening...if I see even a flicker, I am done Shocked. I have been caught out in several storms that came up fast and every time I see a flash I find myself ducking Confused; like a lot of good that would do! When it comes to forecasts of high temps and humidity, I either run early or late. I love running at night in the snow Big grin!
            "It is very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runner. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants to quit." George Sheehan
              Black Ice , TONS of snow or lightning! Mofified to add flash flood since the area ( at least the old running grounds) tend to flood easily.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

JakeKnight

What weather limits your runs? ...If any?
                None. So far. Nuclear winter might. Depending on which way the wind was blowing.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

The only weather that will limit my running and make me reconsider heading out..well really it's temperature. If it's below 15 F then I'm less likely to go out, below 0 F and the odds of me going out are pretty slim. I'm more likely to go running when it rains and such though rather than less. Not really sure why, maybe because it helps cool me down and I don't have to worry about salty sweat running into my eyes or such.

~J

Here in the desert, I tend to avoid running when the temperature gets over 108 degrees or so. If it's over 100, I just tend to go reeaaaaally slow. It doesn't get cold enough to warrant a bottom temperature, but when I was in Boston I'd stop biking at about 15 degrees. Rain isn't much of a factor - it's either torrential (won't go outside!) or not at all. If there is an ozone advisory regarding toxic stuff in the air, I will generally run on a treadmill rather than go outside.
                      Only when there is snow and / or ice on the roads in Central Park. Risk of injury is too high in those conditions.

You'll ruin your knees!

Lightning will definitely keep me from a road run, but trails???? That's a completely different animal! I did this race last spring (think it was my last race)...hailed for over an hour with huge lightning flashes and significant flash flooding. This picture was taken AFTER the water level went down...several stretches of 40-200 yards of mid-calf to mid-thigh rushing water! (no, I'm not in the picture) Love foul weather on the trails! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

I started running last January, and so far there was only one day that the weather kept me from running. A late snow storm last March that shut down the schools. The main reason I didn't run was because I didn't have a sitter though, not the actual snow. Hubby and I ran a 7 or 8 mile training run last winter in sub-zero temps. We dressed for it and it was actually a pretty good run. I might have reconsidered my run last week if I'd have know then, what I know now. Roll eyes Great day. Sunny, cooler than it had been. A few clouds move in quickly and within a quarter mile the rain starts pouring buckets, then the wind kicked up and it started to hail. Pea-sized and marble-sized hail. Luckily I was running through a park at the time and managed to get under a picnic shelter before the big hail started.) Next time hail will definitely keep me home. Big grin I like running in the rain though. Even lots of rain doesn't bother me if it's warm out. Fifty degrees and a downpour wouldn't be much fun, I suppose, but I like the rain. Smile Teresa

Sluggard

Like everybody else, probably, I cannot tolerate hot weather. On Monday night, I ran a very strong 3 miles and the weather was a pleasant 65-70 degrees or so. Wednesday, I ran during the late afternoon when it was 85-88 degrees. In anticipation, I drank plenty of water and stretched longer than usual. I even warmed up [briskly walked] a little longer than usual. The whole run was torture. I drug my hindquarters the whole way, huffing and puffing, stopping to walk about every 5th driveway. It was bloody awful. I had no strength at all. That's nothing new for me, so I am not surprised. I have a flavor of tachycardia, for which I take Verapamil, and since I've been on it [10+ years], I have been extremely intolerant of heat and sun. It sucks the strength out of me like kryptonite to Superman. Therfore, I try to avoid running in the heat of the day, but sometimes I have to snatch the opportunity to run when it presents itself. Otherwise, I find myself frustrated at the end of the day having not run.
                            JakeKnight

Lightning will definitely keep me from a road run, but trails???? That's a completely different animal! I did this race last spring (think it was my last race)...hailed for over an hour with huge lightning flashes and significant flash flooding. This picture was taken AFTER the water level went down...several stretches of 40-200 yards of mid-calf to mid-thigh rushing water! (no, I'm not in the picture) .... Love foul weather on the trails! Lynn B
                              Hoo-rah! Now *THAT* is what I'm talkin' about! This attitude is why my future is waiting in the ultras and on the trails. The best run I ever had was a 20-miler training for the Country Music Marathon last year. When I left, it was sunny and clear ... at mile 10, I got hit with one of the bigger thunderstorms I've ever seen in Tennessee. I was so soaked it was like I'd been swimming; the wind was blowing so hard it was raining sideways; the lightning was so close that the thunder was simultaneous - no gap between the bolt and the boom. I felt invincible. It was truly awesome. Sure, it was stupid, and a quick bolt of lightning might have ruined that whole "invincible" thang. But I can think of worse ways to die.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                              -----------------------------

Scout7

As a testament to the insanity that is me, when I was in HS, I ran a 10 miler in a blizzard. It was a St. Patty's Day race (not on St. Pat's, but there was beer and baked potatoes at the end). There were parts of the course that I couldn't see my fellow competitors 10 feet away, and I actually saw plow trucks that were on the side of the road. I think the deepest drift I ran through was around 3 feet. So....Not much weather changes my plans.