Acid Reflux, foods to eat? drugs to try? (Read 1365 times)

Not sure if anyone else has this, but the more and longer I run the worse my reflux gets.  I take Prevacid for it however even doubling the dose lately has not been working.  I've got sores on the inside of my mouth from the acid coming up.  Anyway, there are tons of lists of what to avoid, but I can't find any lists on what to eat to make it better - aside from my steady diet of tums.    Also, after Prevacid what is there?  Is Nexium stronger? Zantac and Priolosec do not work for me. 

I will make an appointment with a Dr as soon as I get back from vacation, so I'm looking for help for the meantime.

I refuse to stop running, I've given up coffee and all but the very occasional glass of wine. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You need to see a doc right away.  I question the diagnosis if you have mouth sores.  In the mean time, avoid all coffee, caffeine and alcohol as you have done.  Do not stop running.  Do not eat anything up to about 3-4 hours before going to bed.
        the mouth sores are new, i attributed them to the reflux because it gets so bad that i can taste the acid so I know it reaches my tongue.  Ran 9.5 miles today without a serious issue, had tums and Prevacid about an hour before.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Tums are fine.  Over the counter prevacid is fine, and you can probably take double the over the counter dose.

Go see a doc.  Keep running!  Good luck.

Intentionally Blank

No advice, but sympathy.  I suspect my last pregnancy gave me a whatchamacallit, haiatal hernia, because I get acid reflux more than I used to.  Just as you refuse to give up running, I refuse to give up my twice yearly trips to Prince's Hot Chicken.  Sometimes you have to suffer for what you love. Smile
            shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

I had acid reflux and was prescribed Prevacid and other anti-acid reflux pills.  They worked for acid reflux but caused other GI issues.  I started eating oatmeal in morning and now no more acid reflux and no more prescriptions.  I don't remember why I started or if I read somewhere but it worked.  I still have occaisional indigestion but rarely any of the acid reflux issues.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

that's interesting, I used to eat oatmeal every morning except this summer I stopped in order to reduce calories.

i did an experiment this weekend.  Instead of my normal glass of wine at parties, I had 2 beers - Corona light and no reflux.  I'm not much of a beer drinker and prefer wine but since wine has such a negative consequence, Guess I'll have an occasional beer vs occasional wine.   

Thanks everyone - I am still going to go to the Doc. 

BeeRunB

apples

Not sure if anyone else has this, but the more and longer I run the worse my reflux gets.  I take Prevacid for it however even doubling the dose lately has not been working.  I've got sores on the inside of my mouth from the acid coming up.  Anyway, there are tons of lists of what to avoid, but I can't find any lists on what to eat to make it better - aside from my steady diet of tums.    Also, after Prevacid what is there?  Is Nexium stronger? Zantac and Priolosec do not work for me. 

I will make an appointment with a Dr as soon as I get back from vacation, so I'm looking for help for the meantime.

I refuse to stop running, I've given up coffee and all but the very occasional glass of wine. 

You really do need to see a Dr about this. I have acid reflux and took prevacid, but I can't imagine reflux this bad. I actually stopped taking any medicine. I am able to control my reflux by drinking plenty of water. I also eat oatmeal, but I am not sure that did anything. I even eat spicy foods (on days that I am not running or after a run). Any how, you really need to go to a Dr.

Please, do not take any of the advice above except going to the doctor.

Here is what you are suppose to avoid:

Acidic Food, Spicy Food, Alcohol, Caffeine, and Carbonated Beverages.

BeeRunB

Do you eat before runs? I find it to be a good policy to not eat closer than 3 hours before running. Allows the stomach to empty out. I also got rid of acid reflux by eating a few apples a day and switching to black organic coffee.

drrbradford

You need to see a doc right away.  I question the diagnosis if you have mouth sores.  In the mean time, avoid all coffee, caffeine and alcohol as you have done.  Do not stop running.  Do not eat anything up to about 3-4 hours before going to bed.

I need to vent about acid reflux. Last night I was out on a steady run and had to stop after 5M to vomit (although the run after that was fantastic). I had my dinner about 5h before the run and then a plum about 3h before it. The vomit was just fluid, probably thanks to a small glass of water I had just before I went out. But I get acid reflux all the bloody time, it's getting worse with age and it's annoying me. There's hardly anything I can eat without getting it except savoury Japanese/Chinese noodle dishes. I'm sure if I kept a food diary I'd see that I eat too much fruit which metabolises to form acidic products at the wrong time of day but fuck man, I don't want to have to mind everything I eat and drink all the time. Seeing a doctor about it in about a week. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I always see blame placed on acidic and spicy foods, but it's greasy food that causes it for me, not the former two at all.  Yogurt seems to make it subside, but it may take a week after a single greasy meal.

I once had it bad. I've woken up choking on reflux in the middle of the night----scary.  After the second time, that was enough. Cured it by changing my diet to include more fruits and veggies, and almost zero processed food, sugar, flour and drinks. I cut out wheat all together.  All I drink is organic black coffee and water.  I enjoy meat, poultry, and fish. I never run with food in my stomach. It's best not to eat too much too close to bed. Sometimes running makes me hungry at night and it hurts my sleep. A piece of fruit is okay. I also drank aloe vera juice for awhile to help heal any damage I might have done to my esophagus. Haven't had reflux in many years now. My esophagus never bothers me. I know alcohol drinkers who have given up drinking, and that was the cure. Get rid of it one way or the other, or you risk the fate of Hendrix and Bonham. It's a nasty problem.