Raccoons seek revenge on jogger (Read 709 times)

AnneCA

They always looked angry to me.  Suspicions confirmed.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2018653734_raccoons11.html

xor

That happened in a place that I run rather frequently.  We do trail races in there occasionally too.

Crazy stuff.

Julia1971

Glad the jogger was okay but...

1.  I agree with Animal Control that her dog instigated the whole situation and then couldn't back it up.  I've never heard of an "American dingo" but it sounds like a toy poodle to me.

2.  How do you get knocked down by raccoons?  That has to defy the laws of physics.  (I'm suddenly remembering another thread where I mocked the "lady running away from a monster and falling" meme in horror movies and someone said they could see how it could happen.  And, here's a real life example!  I shouldn't be so judgey).

3.  "Once they come to see humans as a meal ticket, they tend to become increasingly bolder just see humans as a meal."

xor

I don't know about where you live, but the raccoons here are not tiny.  They can weigh like 30-35 pounds. No, also not bear sized, but I can see someone getting knocked over by one (or four) that's pissed.

This is the American Dingo.  Toy poodle, no, but also not a match for a pissed off family of raccoons.

Julia1971

I don't know about where you live, but the raccoons here are not tiny.  They can weigh like 30-35 pounds. No, also not bear sized, but I can see someone getting knocked over by one (or four) that's pissed.

This is the American Dingo.  Toy poodle, no, but also not a match for a pissed off family of raccoons.

I know they're not small but they are low to the ground, aren't they?  How do they knock you down vs. freaking out from encountering the pack and falling down?  I get the latter since I was admonished previously for not getting it but don't get the former.

American Dingo is pretty impressive looking.  This one started something it couldn't finish.

xor

True, true.  Raccoon/dog fights don't always go well for the dog.  Lady should have been in better control.

Raccoons are kind of low to the ground, but the big ones are knee-high (on me) easy.  I can see something knee-high and 35 pounds moving with force, knocking me down.  Especially if I'm on an unstable surface. Double especially if it 2-4 of them are working together.

Maybe they climbed on each other's backs in a big raccoon stack and pushed her from chest level.  Saying nyuck nycuk nyuck.

Then again, I can also see getting flustered and falling on my own ass and claiming "the raccoon did it".  Heh.

I wasn't there.

Raccoons still creep me out.

Here's the lady and the dog.  Rabies shots are in her immediate future.

Julia1971

Maybe they climbed on each other's backs in a big raccoon stack and pushed her from chest level.  Saying nyuck nycuk nyuck.

That's what I was picturing in my head - raccoons jumping on each others backs to get leverage.

And then you show the picture and now I feel bad.

Okay, new rule: no mocking animal attack victims - real or imaginary.  Probably a good rule to have before now but better late than never.

Kalsarikännit

This would have never happened if she was a runner.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

#artbydmcbride

This would have never happened if she was a runner.

correct!

Runners run

Sees-the-Ground

barefootin'

Scary raccoon story

ACT ONE. THE HILLS HAVE EYES. 

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/play_full.php?play=319&act=1

Bill Wagnon / stl