Madison Marathon canceled (Read 1551 times)

#artbydmcbride

I know I would prefer them to do this, than to try to prevent me from crossing the mat after running 26 miles.

But I wouldn't want the marathon medal or the marathon t-shirt for a canceled race.  Smile

Runners run

everyone is running the half now.

I feel bad for those who could have run a 3:15 time but cannot now.  They would have been off the course when it was getting dangerous. 

But they can use this as a tuneup half.  Or they can drive 1.5 hours to Rochester MN and run...

http://medcitymarathon.com/

MTA:  I am noticing marathon sponsors now.  I see med city sponsors include Pepsi, McDonalds, and Frito Lay.  Heh. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I know I would prefer them to do this, than to try to prevent me from crossing the mat after running 26 miles.

But I wouldn't want the marathon medal or the marathon t-shirt for a canceled race.  Smile

I think I would saw my medal in half.  One could get creative with the tshirt, too. Smile

xor

It is annoying to have a race canceled, especially if you've paid out big bucks to travel.  But they made the call.

Here's the puzzler to me:

=====

"Based on race organizers' 2010 numbers, when high temperatures overwhelmed many runners and overtaxed the race's medical team and city emergency resources, only 1% would complete the marathon in Sunday's predicted heat," said race director Keith Peterson.

=====

1%.

1% ?!?!

Oh come on now.

It would be a bad day, but stating that number is 1) super dumbass and 2) irresponsible.  It shows exactly what the vibe is in that part of the country and it also feeds the herd mentality of OMG! OMG! OMG! IT'S HOOOOOOOOOOOT.

I'm out on road races in Wisconsin.  That's pathetic.

nextyearcubs

everyone is running the half now.

I feel bad for those who could have run a 3:15 time but cannot now.  They would have been off the course when it was getting dangerous. 

But they can use this as a tuneup half.  Or they can drive 1.5 hours to Rochester MN and run...

http://medcitymarathon.com/

MTA:  I am noticing marathon sponsors now.  I see med city sponsors include Pepsi, McDonalds, and Frito Lay.  Heh. 

Go! STL had the Missouri Beef Council http://www.mobeef.org/

I guess if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.  Not a bad strategy if you're Mickey D's to be associated with marathons.

5K 20:20 9/17/11 13.1 1:36:58 6/12/11 26.2 3:34:19 9/23/2012

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Go! STL had the Missouri Beef Council http://www.mobeef.org/

I guess if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.  Not a bad strategy if you're Mickey D's to be associated with marathons.

Wrong thread Smile

nextyearcubs

I was supposed to run this race, now I'm deciding if I want to try to race the half, or run the course once before the race starts to get in 26.2 that way.

My feeling is, if you've had problems before and couldn't handle things, why keep doing this race Memorial Day weekend, when high temps aren't unheard of.  Why not start early?

From what I've read on their facebook page, and the answer to a few comments I made, they know they have a lot of "newbie" runners and basically didn't trust people to run smart out there.  I don't really like that attitude of, because some people will have problems, nobody will get to run. 

I'm not the worlds fastest or more experienced runner, but I would have liked the chance to run, and wouldn't have become someone else's problem if things went south. 

nextyearcubs

Wrong thread Smile

Ha!  I didn't even see that other thread, I was so distrught over being shut down this weekend. 

That must have been a gut wrenching decision for them.............but as much of a disappointment as this is for all, its still better to error on the side of safety.....

It look like they did as much as they could for the runners and I'll bet they will have a good turnout next year.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Kalsarikännit

It is an absolute crap call if you are a runner who is experienced, well trained, and accepting of the fact that you have to modify your pace on difficult days.  It is even worse when you consider that there is a good percentage of people that paid for airfare, rental cars, hotels and race registration fees.  

I'll bet they will have a good turnout next year.....

I hope not.  This marathon has been cancelled during the race or before the race three of the last six years.  At this point I would say it is foolish to register and truly expect this race to be held.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

KMB

I don't really like that attitude of, because some people will have problems, nobody will get to run. 

My mother always told me: "Don't you for one second believe that the majority rules in this country."

nextyearcubs

OK, so I ran the stupid half...

I didn't really want to do a half.  This would be my second full in six weeks, so I wasn't really pushing it in training.  If I'd wanted to run a half, I'd have maybe put in more miles to try for a PR.  I didn't feel sharp enough to run a PR effort type half.

I decided to get up early and run 13.1 miles, then do the race.  I saw maybe a dozen other runners with their marathon bibs on who were doing the exact same thing.  I ran from the hotel west to the UW campus, found a path around Lake Mendota, and had a nice easy run.  I wasn't feeling great, but I hadn't slept very well the past few days.  I work midnights, and sometimes its hard to change schedules, so I kind of chalked it up to that.  The temps were in the 60s at 5:30, but kind of humid.  Pretty good running weather.  My pace was slower than I wanted, and I misjudged where 13.1 miles would end.  I was still running when the actual half started, and when my Garmin hit 13.2, I stopped it and made my way to the start.  I ran 1:52 for the first half.

I started the race about 9-10 minutes after the gun, and may have been the last one across the start line.  I caught the pack after a half mile and was in heavy traffic the rest of the way. It was an odd way to run a "marathon" because all the signs said half as much mileage.  I wasn't exactly going about things in a hurry, so I stopped for water most of the time (although I don't think I'd have been able to grab a cup and go very well anyways).  It was disappointing that the race was cancelled, but I just tried to make the most of it and have fun.  The weather stayed pretty decent the whole way and I finished the second half in 1:56.

I was hot over the whole situation, because they tried to spin it like it was some certain doom situation, with the whole bizarrely absurd 1% comment by the RD.  Reading between the lines, it seemed more to me like they were not ready to put on the full in these conditions.  Out on the course, volunteers at the aid stations were working very hard, and staffing seemed light.  They said on the facebook page that the volunteers for the full would be there to help on the course for the half, but it didn't exactly seem that way. 

So I ran 3:48, and probably would have been under 4 hours if they had proceeded with the actual race.  I feel like in some way I earned that marathon medal, even though it wasn't on their course, and was done earlier in better weather.  I'm not bitter about it anymore, which is probably the best thing.  I did the best I could given the circumstances.  If they ever get their act together (maybe move the start to 6am), this could be a very good race, but for now, I'd avoid this one.

DoppleBock

There are some races well worth doing

Early May - Journey's Marathon - Eagle River (100-150 people well run, nice area)

Mid-August - Paavo Nurmi - Hurley (100-200 - well run, will be hot and hilly) 

Easly November - Rails to Trails - on Elroy / Sparta Bike trail - (100-200, go through 3/4 mile rair road tunnel twice) unique and great Chicken BBQ post race

Mid January - Ice Breaker indoor in Milwaukee

I would like to try a few of the newer races ~ I think we are almost up to 30 marathons now.

The top 2 are both a fun experience

I'm out on road races in Wisconsin.  That's pathetic.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I ran 6 or 7 miles in Madison that morning.  It was 72 when I finished at a little after 7 AM. 

I think it was low 80's when the top runners would have finished.  There is no doubt that 5+ hour runners would have suffered though.  It was 90 by noon.  Does that justify nobody can run?  I don't know.  I'm glad I'm not in charge of it though. 

The fact that this was Madison means the 1% comment was an obvious lame slap at the rich.  There are probably a lot of people in Madison who blame the rich (ie 1%) for the marathon being canceled.  I'm not even kidding.  I tend to vote Democrat but Madison is like a whole other world of extreme thinking.  If your mind is so inclined, the dots can be connected... the race was canceled due to heat.  It's hot due to global warming.  The Republicans are responsible for global warming at the behest of their puppet masters... the 1%.