Creating my own custom training schedule (Read 134 times)

ckerr1999

I have looked online a several different training schedules and was wondering what is the best way to adjust them to meet my personal schedule or better yet how can I create my own custom training schedule. I am training for a fall marathon. So in any training plan I create I will need a weekend long run. Up till now my training as consisted of easy runs, and long runs. So I am missing intervals training and tempo runs. During the week I only have time for a 1 hour run (maybe a little more). So this would be 7 miles,(maybe 8 if I stretch it).

So what type of intervals should I incorporate on a weekly basis. For a tempo run I was thinking a 1 hour run at my goal marathon pace?? I typically run 6 days a week. In the past my weekly mileage peaked at about 45 miles. Would like to eventually work up to the 50-60 mile range.

If you look at my training schedule it hasn't been great. I did a marathon at the end of October. I was injured for most of November. I was getting back on track in December, then the brutal winter hit here in Canada. It is kind of hard to run in -30C wind-chills (-10F). Believe me I did try unsuccessfully. I finally put in a solid month in March, and have been building my base the last 4 weeks.

Thanks for your help.

GinnyinPA

Can you do doubles on some days?  Run 4 or 5 in the morning and another 5 or 6 in the evening?  Most marathon programs have at least one MLR midweek.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

One day for intervals or hills (alternate each week)

One day for tempo paced run (from 10K to marathon pace)

One day for moderately long run (about 1.5 to 2 hours if you can fit it in)

One day for long run (16-20 miles or so).

Easy recovery runs and/or rest the other days.

If the four "workout" days is too much, then the intervals/hills/tempo can be combined (but not run in the same week) and done on the same specified day, alternating so each is done every third week.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I simply create a training plan here on RA, working backward from the race date. Put in your appropriate taper days, then before that, your weekly long runs, doubles, speed work, etc., fitting them into your "real life" schedule. Base it on one of the packaged plans if you like. Just pointing out the excellent tool that's right here.

ckerr1999

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Believe

I hate hills.