Core work is key (Read 1576 times)

I just threw my back out again.  Changing the bird bath, like I do everyday.

Between my hips and back, I have had enough.  I talked to a client of mine, who is a doctor, ( not sure what kind, but some type of medical doctor )  and he just reminded me to never forget how to bend the right way, and never stop working your core.  He recommened really hitting the abs hard to strenghten and prevent future back injuries.

If this was 2 weeks from now, I'd be boarding a plane to Spain for my honeymoon. 

I am taking his advice, and doing whatever I can do, to prevent this from happening again.     Never let your guard down, it can  happen any time.  Always doing the most stupid little things.

I am just greatful it's only on the right side of my back, not the entire thing.   Now, if I could just lift my right leg.... 

- Anya

Queen of 3rd Place

Bummed for you, I've been there. Isnt' it fun trying to, say, put on your pants? Angry Quick question: do you have a sitting job? If so, I've recently started doing more of my sitting work at a high table so I'm forced to stand. This one change has done more than all the stupid, boring core work I've done. You might still throw out your back (like I did last year, unloading the dishwasher, of all things), but your recovery might be quicker. Good luck and best wishes. 

Ex runner

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Quick question: do you have a sitting job? If so, I've recently started doing more of my sitting work at a high table so I'm forced to stand.

Even sitting on a yoga ball might help.  I've done that and considered getting one of these:

My son's classroom has a couple and they still give the core-strengthening instability of a balance ball, but the ability to roll around in an office setting.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

qwerty85

I have a super weak core and Pilates is helping so much... I spend most the time thinking, I could be running, but my core is getting stronger after a weak core related injury.
            ... I spend most the time thinking, I could be running... 

You can only spend so much time in a week running before you start breaking your body down. So you don't need to think as doing this kind of stuff as *instead* of running, rather it's *in addition* to your running.

Yes, I sit all damn day long. 

In fact, I was just  at the Healthy Back store yesterday, and bought a lumbar support pillow for my chair.  It feels much better using it, but I can't help but feel my posture is just so bad, even using it.  

My desk is not one that allows standing.    But, I may seriusly consider getting that stability ball, and use that at least part of the day.

My fiance had his employer redesign his work area, to include a standing area.  He stands much of the day.  I wish I had his employer.  :-)

- Anya

SMART Approach

I need to find a way to drive while standing Smile  When I was in fitness industry and on my feet more I never had issues. Now I have chronic upper hammy issues. Can't shake them. I just ordered a kneeling type chair for my office. Sitting is killing me despite all my core work. Sucks!!!!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Even sitting on a yoga ball might help.  I've done that and considered getting one of these:

My son's classroom has a couple and they still give the core-strengthening instability of a balance ball, but the ability to roll around in an office setting.

This chair is awesome.  I need one of these!

- Anya

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I believe Target has the chairs...or at least Target.com sells them, IIRC.

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Here is the link to the chair:  http://www.target.com/p/gaiam-ergonomic-balance-ball-chair-black/-/A-10611806

time for my obligatory link to my favorite article on "core" training. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm a big fan of deadlifts (when I actually do them--they just feel good and seem to both stretch and strengthen the entire back-side of my body), and get bored really fast doing "core work," so I like this article.

The benefit I see to sitting on a ball, rather than a chair, is not having a super-supportive "ergonomic" chair doing the midsection/spine support for us.  Sitting on an unstable ball forces a person's body to support itself to stay upright, rather than having a cushy back do all the work.  Stand-up desks are probably still the best solution to the back issues that desk-bound folks are prone to, though.  DH is lucky to work for a major office furniture mfgr.  He's had a stand-up desk for years.  He does have a tall chair for times when he needs to sit, but he doesn't use it much.

~ Sarah Kay

If you have linked to that before and I have not read it, then shame on me. That was excellent.

"Do you not see that an athlete with a 200 lb. press, a 300 lb. clean, a 400 lb. squat, and a 500 lb. deadlift has a stronger “core” than your runner who can just manage to do a Standing Reverse Wood-chop with a 2 kg medicine ball? Where did you manage to find a 2 kg medicine ball anyway?"

Now if I could only find time for some barbell work...

Runners run

xor

"Standing reverse wood-chop".

That sounds dirty.

Man, I don't think I could ever use a barbell and do squat lifts. 

Yikes.  My back hurts just thinking about that.

Although, I liked that article.  It goes to show you how clueless I am.

But, looks like I'm not alone. ;-) 

- Anya