Running Safely (Read 1023 times)

I'm getting back into running and have been spending the past couple months on the treadmill indoors due to severe cold weather aversion. But as the weather's gotten nicer, I've started to take my runs outside again. I usually run about 5 miles a day, but every time I get about a mile from campus I get a nagging feeling that I'm not really protected. I always run in broad daylight, wear bright clothing, stay on main roads, etc., but the city that I live in doesn't have the best town/gown relationships, and the areas within running distance are fairly low-income. I haven't had any trouble in the past, but I feel like it's only a matter of time. I'd really like tips on what sort of things I should carry with me, and any other safety precautions that I should be taking. In terms of cell phone, pepper spray, etc., any tips on carrying it in warmer weather when I don't have a jacket with pockets to put things in? I absolutely hate to carry things in my hands when I run, usually I just stick my iPod and my ID card in a pocket (or sports bra, desperate times...) and off I go....
      Work on your speed! Smile Seriously, on your busy days just stick to the treadmill. On your off days take public transportation or your car, if you have one, and go somewhere you feel safe and comfortable. You could change it up and have a new place to try each week. You could also join a running group where there is safety in numbers. At least run with a friend when in dangerous areas. Ask that good looking guy you have been checking out to go run with you. Who knows what can happen! Cool Good luck

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

You should always carry your cell and pepper spray if you can. Take a local self defense class, they will show you the key zones to get away from your attacker. Run in a better area if you can or run with a friend. As far as carrying stuff, they make fanny pack type belts to hold stuff in.
        -Jen
        2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
          Glad I'm not the only person worried around here.(see PP about running fears) too bad we don't live near each other, we could help calm each other fears by running together.
            Dear Fancy footwork, I peaked at your profile and saw that you list yourself from Iowa/CT. I'm assuming that you're going to school here in CT. There are some pretty decent schools here that are in neighborhoods, that I certainly wouldn't run in never mind having a female friend run in them. Not knowing which school you're going to, it's hard to make a recommendation on where to run and I certainly don't want to discourage you from running. My first advise would be to look for a running group here inthe State. Check out Hartford Track club for starters. Even if it's not ocal to you, they may have some links to others near you and they do have members from all over. If you do run, then I would certainly advise carrying pepper spray, a cell phone and a whistle. if in trouble you can use the whistle to attract attention. As for self defense, okay advice but these days the criminals seem to be carrying weapons.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Hey, nice marmot!

... but every time I get about a mile from campus I get a nagging feeling that I'm not really protected.
              I'd wager there's a very good reason you're getting that feeling. You're probably not really protected.
              I always run in broad daylight, wear bright clothing, stay on main roads, etc., but the city that I live in doesn't have the best town/gown relationships, and the areas within running distance are fairly low-income. I haven't had any trouble in the past, but I feel like it's only a matter of time.
              If it's a bad area, it's a bad area. Time of day and your appearance mean very little. Evolution has conditioned people to get "bad feelings" when they end up in places they shouldn't be. Never ignore those feelings. If you feel like you shouldn't be somewhere, don't be there. I would encourage carrying a stun gun/pepper spray/whatever's legal where you are. I'd strongly encourage learning some form of self-defense or martial art. However, willingly running through an area you KNOW to be bad, even with pepper spray and a black belt, is as foolish as it is dangerous. The mind is the most powerful self-defense weapon. Used properly, it can allow you to avoid *most* conflicts altogether. As for tips, I have to agree with what AKFlyer said. Stick to the treadmill on busy days and travel out to safe locations on weekends. If you really want off the treadmill, consider working out routes that are small loops that allow you to stay on campus. If you campus is too small to make a 5 mile loop, then maybe work out a one or two mile loop and do laps. I'll also throw this out. While Ipods are fine for the treadmill, IMHO women running outside and alone really should leave the Ipods at home. Course I really think that for everyone who runs outside, but especially women. Too many weirdos willing to take advantage of a woman not completely aware of her surroundings.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

I live in a college town, and the surrounding village is very small, so I find myself doing a lot of country running, which is dangerous in itself because of the seclusion, the long stretches of fields and no houses, little traffic, loose dogs, etc. I try to do loops in the village or around the campus, but that gets very boring and repetitive. The best thing I've found is latching onto the women's cross country team. They follow a very particular route and run in a pack. I lag behind them, but still feel the safety of numbers. When you say "campus" I'm assuming it's a college. Does the college have a team? Just an idea, not always practical, and definitely not as much a consideration in the summer.
                Mr R

I have to disagree about the reliability of one's feelings about an area. We are culturally conditioned to have those feelings. It has nothing to do with evolution. When I first moved out of my parents' house, I was afraid of every neighborhood I ever lived in at first. Eventually, I learned that low-income doesn't necessarily mean dangerous. I lived in some expensive neighborhoods that were quite dangerous, and some dirt-poor neighborhoods where locals would stop and help you fix your car. That said, it's better to be safe... I agree about the ipods, though. I once passed a woman on a trail who was using her ipod. She screamed and pepper sprayed me. Fortunately, she only hit my shoulder (which still burned). I don't think a cell phone is a good idea. They've never been shown to increase personal security, and they have been shown to give people an unwarranted sense of security. It's really not going to help at all in a self-defense situation, and it requires some kind of a pouch, which only advertises that you have something to steal. In low-income, high crime areas, what you are mainly concerned about is motivated crime: people seeing something they want and stealing it. Most runners are not targets for this kind of crime, because they don't have anything to steal. I've run through areas, without incident, that I would never walk through in a suit. The other kind of crime (basically psycho-crime), can occur in nice neighborhoods just as easily as poor neighborhoods. In fact, neighbor of mine growing up was gunned down on a street of million dollar homes. The murderers "just wanted to kill someone to see what it was like." The final kind of crime to watch out for is gang crime, but you should know if you're in an area controlled by gangs. These areas can be dangerous to runners because random acts of violence are used to demonstrate dominance over territory.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

Ringmaster

Just something to think about: if you carry mace, don't put it in a pouch. You won't have time to unzip it, find it, aim it . . . if you feel like you need it, keep it in your hand. How about a personal alarm? Pull the pin and it scares the daylights out of anyone within earshot . . . and cannot be used against you. I don't run alone early in the morning, and I live in a lovely suburban neighborhood. Safety in numbers!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                    Mile by Mile

Glad I'm not the only person worried around here.(see PP about running fears) too bad we don't live near each other, we could help calm each other fears by running together.
                      I feel your pain! Though we actually have the opposite problem...I'm from a rural area originally and I've always felt incredibly safe running around on gravel roads where there's no one around. Of course, I was familiar with the area, knew all the neighbors and where to watch for dogs. It's those people potentially lurking around dark alleys that give me the creeps....
                        Dear Fancy footwork, I peaked at your profile and saw that you list yourself from Iowa/CT. I'm assuming that you're going to school here in CT. There are some pretty decent schools here that are in neighborhoods, that I certainly wouldn't run in never mind having a female friend run in them. Not knowing which school you're going to, it's hard to make a recommendation on where to run and I certainly don't want to discourage you from running.
                        Thanks! You're right, I'm going to school in Connecticut, New Haven to be exact. I'm not sure if you're familiar with that area, but most of my runs tend to take me out toward West Haven and some of the parks out there. I try to stay north of the Oak Street Connector, though there's a really nice route around the harbor that's tough to stay away from. The safest area would probably be around Science Hill and Prospect Street. I do this one sometimes, but it gets repetitive and frankly is not a run that I particularly enjoy to begin with. I will look into running clubs. Hartford is not a viable option since I don't have a car, but I'd think there are probably clubs around New Haven.
                        The best thing I've found is latching onto the women's cross country team. They follow a very particular route and run in a pack. I lag behind them, but still feel the safety of numbers.
                        This is a really great idea. As a beginner, I worry that I wouldn't be able to keep up with the team, but it's worth a shot, I'm definitely going to contact them.
                        When I first moved out of my parents' house, I was afraid of every neighborhood I ever lived in at first. Eventually, I learned that low-income doesn't necessarily mean dangerous. I lived in some expensive neighborhoods that were quite dangerous, and some dirt-poor neighborhoods where locals would stop and help you fix your car.
                        Mr R, I do think there's some truth to this, which is why I'm reluctant to rule out running in the city altogether. Campus police does a good job of sending out emails to the student body whenever an assault occurs (which is relatively infrequent). Everything I've heard has been students walking alone at obscene hours of the night, and I've never heard anything about a runner being targeted (and there are a lot of runners). And in truth, no one seems to pay me much mind, and I never get leered at (at least not that I've noticed). That said, I know it only takes one incident for something really bad to happen. Unfortunately, none of my friends are runners, but I do intend to look into the XC team and running clubs in the area, and I'm definitely going to invest in some pepper spray. I also think I'll start leaving notes with my route drawn out and when I intend to be back so that I'll be accounted for. (I always tell my roommates when they're around, but a lot of times there's no one in the room when I leave). Thanks for the comments everybody!
                          Dear Fancy, Yes, I'm fairly familiar with New Haven and the area. My daughter and her husband just moved out of North Branford. I hate to tell you this, but I consider New Haven one of the unsafest towns in the state, right up there with Bridgeport. Unfortunately, we do have to run don't we. Hartford Track Club has members from all over the state and is probably the largest club in the State, so do look it up. Not having a car certainly restricts your options Otherwise, continue to look for places like parks etc to run , wide open areas and try to pick times when more people might be around. Again, I would suggest mace or pepper spray as a little protection. How many miles are you running at a time? I guess this also imposes restrictions unless you want to keep doing repeats and that gets real boring. I'll try to look for other track clubs in the area, but off the top of my head, I don't know of any. Good luck

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

AnneCA

Given what you've said, and as someone who moved from Southern Indiana to the upper west side of NYC for college Wink, I'm going to say I agree a lot with Mr R. Although he left out the type of crime I suspect you're more afraid of, which is opportunistic physical and sexual assualt. My NYC running days were in the late '80s -- the Central Park Jogger days -- so I'm definitely familiar with that fear. Please do leave the iPod at home. It's not only a theft target, but also makes you less aware of your surroundings. I completely agree on the questionable utility of a cell phone, since it's not going to help you at all to stop an attack once it starts, and I don't know how it would deter one in the first place. By all means, run with some pepper spray in your hand if it will make you feel more comfortable. But I bet with time, and as you establish your routes, you'll start to feel it's less necessary. The midday running has pros and cons: it's daylight, which is good, but there are likely fewer other joggers and other folks around on a lot of streets/routes. As an urban female runner, I rely mostly on common sense and awareness, and also on either the visibility that comes from safety in numbers (mostly other runners, walkers, etc., but traffic can count too), or the fact that most bad guys are asleep at 6 am. Wink Have you checked out this site's route finder and the USATF site for New Haven routes? That might give you some ideas for routes too. I know you said the Science Hill route doesn't appeal to you, but if it's the one that's safest (I've no idea; I don't know the area), you might want to get over that and live with a little repitition (think of it as a fun way to track your progress over one route). I like your idea of leaving route information, that's always a good idea. Your school likely has a running club, doesn't it? Oh, I just Googled, and here's what I found: http://www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/9422. There's probably a community based one too -- here's another Google find: http://running.meetup.com/164/.