Attempting to talk the spouse into a race (Read 1093 times)

An Email exchange between myself from work to my wife at home: Me: Talk about true once in a lifetime events!!! http://www.npmarathon.com/ http://www.marathontours.com/antarctica/index.shtml Wife: No you can't go!!!!!!!!!! Me: But that would be THE half marathon to run!!!! And about 3/4 of a year's pay I would think Wife: Not to mention I would probably never see you again! (Side note there is some confusion as to which race is being discussed here) Me: Why? I couldn't stay nor would I want to! The SUMMER temp is 25 degrees!! Burr Cold!! While the North Pole Marathon is ACTUALLY AT the North Pole, the South Pole is NOT. With the North Pole run there are 2 major problems (OK more than that) 1. About $12k to enter. 2. There is Only about 6 feet of ice between your feet and 12K feet of water. 3. VERY COLD!!! 4. A very beautiful white animal that thinks anything running is fast food and on the menu!! 5. It IS a marathon. I DON'T run marathons. Wife: You answered the question, you would be bear poop!!!! Me: But you forgot the miner’s code for picking partners. I don't have to out run the bear!! I just have to make sure I'm not the slowest!! Wife: It's a race!!!!!!!! Everyone has run before, you would be bear poop!!!!! End of exchange Now of course I will be called Bear Poop. On my side I have had one close encounter with a Griz, but was unaware at the time the encounter even took place. Had I known and he charged I’ll bet my pace would have been better than a 4 minute mile while I ran right through a group of people. Nothing against anyone in that group, it just that I prefer that the bear NOT choose ME! (Note to self: Self next time take that hand cannon with you!!) Still it would be a run to remember the rest of your life!! Signed Bear Poop

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Scout7

Hey Bear Poop, I find that sometimes, glossing over certain....."Details" when talking to the wife is better.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...what kind of life insurance policy do you have? Maybe money would talk... Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

RunningHammer

I'm with Scout on this one. While you should never tell a bareface lie to your missus, being economical with the truth until it's too late to do anything about it is almost compulsory !! And Bearpoop sounds like a good forum name to me Wink
            I agree about the screen name. Is there any way to change it? As for the details: My wife is very aware of bears. Tim Treadwell, the bear guy eaten in Alaska in 2003 was distantly related to me on my mom's side. And that close encounter with the giz int the OP actually did take place. I had my back to him and could not hear the guys accross the river screaming at me to trun around. A good thing I think as I had a FLASH camera in my hands at the time. FLASH!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr "OH CRAP!!!" How fast can one run in hip waders? NOT the time nor the WAY to find out!!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

You'll ruin your knees!

I'm with Scout on this one. While you should never tell a bareface lie to your missus, being economical with the truth until it's too late to do anything about it is almost compulsory !! And Bearpoop sounds like a good forum name to me Wink
              ahhhh yesss...... the LIE of omission! Know it well Me: "Hun, I'm going to run in the mountains while I'm out in Southern California" Her: "You're not planning on going by yourself, ARE YOU?" Me: "I talked to another runner about meeting me there" (unspoken, "but he can't make it"). Her: "OK, you guys be careful" Me: (unspoken: "it's a night run in bear/mountain lion country and I'll have a summer sausage and crackers in my pack") ..Forgive me, Lord... "Tim Treadwell, the bear guy eaten in Alaska in 2003 was distantly related to me on my mom's side." - yes, but could YOU outrun Tim??? Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Scout7

ahhhh yesss...... the LIE of omission! Know it well
                "Hey, hun, there's this race that I was thinkin' about." "Oh yeah?" "Yep. Nothing fancy, pretty low-key, really..."
                RunningHammer

I agree about the screen name. Is there any way to change it?
                  Options (top right of the site) then My Information - haven't tried but it looks like you could change it there. I think you could do with Lynn's avatar too !!! Big grin
                    ahhhh yesss...... the LIE of omission! Know it well Me: "Hun, I'm going to run in the mountains while I'm out in Southern California" Her: "You're not planning on going by yourself, ARE YOU?" Me: "I talked to another runner about meeting me there" (unspoken, "but he can't make it"). Her: "OK, you guys be careful" Me: (unspoken: "it's a night run in bear/mountain lion country and I'll have a summer sausage and crackers in my pack") ..Forgive me, Lord... "Tim Treadwell, the bear guy eaten in Alaska in 2003 was distantly related to me on my mom's side." - yes, but could YOU outrun Tim??? Lynn B
                    The problem is my wife and I have known each other too long for that!! We met when I was 15 and she 12. In less than a month I'll be 53 Well I can out run Tim today, no problem. But I am not sure about 2003 and before. BTW my Alaskan mining partner is horrible at running!! I have talked to him about running the Indy HM but he says he can't. He did sign to walk it however.

You'll ruin your knees!

...love what you've done with your name. Another forum I frequent is focused on trail running and a petite, female friend from N Calif in the mountains goes by the name Cougarsnack. Shocked

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Scout7

...love what you've done with your name. Another forum I frequent is focused on trail running and a petite, female friend from N Calif in the mountains goes by the name Cougarsnack. Shocked
                        Nice. Is that RWOL?

Now that was a bath...

Coincidently (very funny story by the way) - I was doing some running research online yesterday and I came across some information that made me stop and exclaim 'WTF - why would any runner need that!' I obviously hadn't factored in you. Polar Bear Poop Prevention Strategies Bear Poop Prevention Strategies Claire xxx
                        • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                        • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.

Now that was a bath...

I come back to you because I have recalled a useful tip when travelling near bears. Don't go when you have your period, apparently that increases the possibility of poop-factor occuring.
                          • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                          • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                              YEP!! And don't carry food in your pocket! One young lady had a roll of lifesavers in your pocket in her sleeping bag ON a known bear trail in Glacier Park MT. She was alive when they found her, but she didn't make it. I started this thread because when I went to delete emails this AM I just found that one funny and thought it might lighten some hearts. I am happy to see it did. If my Screen Name change offends anyone let me know as it is easy to change back or to something un-offinsive.

It doesn't offend me. I remember a buddy of mine showing me a brochure about traveling in Grizzly Bear country out west. If a grizzly bear charges you don't run. You should stand your ground because he might just be trying to scare you. Running only encourages him to think you might be a tasty morsel.