Best marathon training? (Read 1090 times)

meislesd

I'm guessing this has been discussed before, but who has a recommendation for good marathon training plans? I have run about 7 half-marathons, and am ready to run a full marathon this spring. I'd love to hear people's feedback on their favorite training plans!

I've been using Pete Pfitzinger Advance Marathon plan. My first marathon is Jan. 13, 2013 and I hope the plan helps me have a great first marathon experience. The training wasn't too bad, but not too easy. He took me to the brink of injury a few weeks, however there would be a rest or recovery day when this happened.

I haven't been injured during this cycle, but I had sore quads that cause IT pain. It was resolved with a fews days for deep massage. Also, my right calve was really tight last week. My wife massaged it and I took an extra day off and I'm 100% again.

Regardless of what plan you choose, listen to your body and if it is asking for a break then comply.

If you are use to speed work (tempo and intervals) this plan might work for you. if you're not use to speed work, I would stay away for now.

It's really hard for someone to recommend a plan without knowing your running history (weekly mileage, years), your PRs at other distances and your marathon goal. And even then you'll get a lot of recommendations just based on what each person likes.

The popular plans include Pfitzinger, Jack Daniels and (new flavor of the month) Hansons. But you'll find the basic common theme to all of these (and just about any other successful marathon plan) is: run a lot, mostly easy, sometimes fast.

Which specific plan is best for you will depend largely on your own temperament and what motivates you.

Runners run

I use Brad Hudson's "Run Faster From the 5K to the Marathon." Not quite as well known as Hansons, Pfitzinger, etc. but very well regarded. Simply outstanding if you want clear, practical guidance on how to create effective training plans. It's criticized sometimes as being too much for beginners to digest, but I think the dividing line for Hudson is your level of seriousness about improving, not your experience/skill level.

Check out the Amazon page for some good reviews/details.

zonykel

I use Brad Hudson's "Run Faster From the 5K to the Marathon." Not quite as well known as Hansons, Pfitzinger, etc. but very well regarded. Simply outstanding if you want clear, practical guidance on how to create effective training plans. It's criticized sometimes as being too much for beginners to digest, but I think the dividing line for Hudson is your level of seriousness about improving, not your experience/skill level.

Check out the Amazon page for some good reviews/details.

Although I like the book, I think it may be a bit advanced for someone doing their first marathon.

You can also try the running wizard: http://www.running-wizard.com/

Nobby is one of the authors (and he posts regularly here). I've been using the program for a few weeks, and I like the plan, the variety of workouts, the gradual progression (and it integrates with Running Ahead's training log). Granted, I'm training for a half marathon, but the ideas are similar.

You can also try the running wizard: http://www.running-wizard.com/

+1. I like Pfitzinger too, the technical content of the book more than the plans themselves, but I think GoingPostal's experience is typical:  it is a hard plan to follow.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

It's really hard for someone to recommend a plan without knowing your running history (weekly mileage, years), your PRs at other distances and your marathon goal. And even then you'll get a lot of recommendations just based on what each person likes.

The popular plans include Pfitzinger, Jack Daniels and (new flavor of the month) Hansons. But you'll find the basic common theme to all of these (and just about any other successful marathon plan) is: run a lot, mostly easy, sometimes fast.

Which specific plan is best for you will depend largely on your own temperament and what motivates you.

+1***BQ or finish

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

NHLA

Hansons plan helped me. It will train you to run MP.

I joined group that trained together for my first three marathons and we had a coach.

Mabe you can find a group like that.

meislesd

Thank you everybody!

kevinballen

A lot of beginners have success with Hal Higdon plans.

Kevin Allen

Dream Maker

I'm guessing this has been discussed before, but who has a recommendation for good marathon training plans? I have run about 7 half-marathons, and am ready to run a full marathon this spring. I'd love to hear people's feedback on their favorite training plans!

I prefer to do my own thing and not follow a plan... but I pull the why from Daniels Running Formula.  I know some people who did their first on his plans and did very well if you are the type who enjoys a plan.

Why is it sideways?

I used Squires' Speed with Endurance for my marathon PR. Not the most well known or marketed book, but talk about a master coach! I liked the workouts.

Mostly harmless

Stay faaaaaaar away from the plans at http://www.marathonrookie.com/  I used that for my first because I'm stupid. I got across the finish line but just barely.

I'm using Pftiz 18/55 training for my second and already feel more prepared with still 8 weeks to go.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

DoppleBock

I believe there is the "Best" marathon training for you - Not the "Best" one size fits all

I tend to gravitate toward Daniels.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I used Squires' Speed with Endurance for my marathon PR. Not the most well known or marketed book, but talk about a master coach! I liked the workouts.

He's had a great deal of success over the years. I wonder why he isn't mentioned more often on the marathon forums.

For the OP - avoid the beginner plans even though this will be your first marathon. They don't have enough mileage and to much is regated to the long run.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.