iPhone / Android apps (Read 718 times)

Hangin' with Hal!

Runners,

I seem to remember a couple of years ago, there was some discussion about creating a RunningAHEAD iPhone app.  That being said, I don't know if the project is still around.  Since I'm battling the everlasting ITBS that has lingered since August, I was thinking I could put that down time to good use by developing an iPhone and Android app, if there's enough support, and of course, with Eric's blessing (and database interfaces).  Sorry, but I think BlackBerry's out for now...maybe in the future.  Any thoughts/interest/ideas?

eric :)

You got my blessing.  I'll send you a PM.

Hangin' with Hal!

Thanks Eric Smile For the community...need to know what features you want to see in the initial release. I hope to begin production within the next week or two, but that depends on the feedback I get. Thanks!

Basically... run!

I use the Handy Runner app regularly on my android, which has good basic features using gps.  The best part is being able to automatically upload your run to this site (much more convenient than manually mapping out runs).  I usually just put my phone in my pocket, but if I were to look at it while running, it's nice to have the time, distance, and pace easily visible.  Maybe there's a way to be able to look at where you are on a map during your workout...  Also, after I'm done with a run, it might be nice to be able to edit details (shoes, weather, notes, etc.) within the app - right now I edit all that info on the website.  I'd be very interested in trying out your RunningAHEAD app!  Smile

The feature that I use the most is just the summary page with the graphs.  I like to look at my 30 day moving average and my 7 day moving average.

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

Loves the outdoors

I'd just want the ability to log a run and to review some basic stats and check out the calendar for any planned runs. 

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

giddy-yup

I use the Handy Runner app regularly on my android, which has good basic features using gps.  The best part is being able to automatically upload your run to this site (much more convenient than manually mapping out runs).  I usually just put my phone in my pocket, but if I were to look at it while running, it's nice to have the time, distance, and pace easily visible.  Maybe there's a way to be able to look at where you are on a map during your workout...  Also, after I'm done with a run, it might be nice to be able to edit details (shoes, weather, notes, etc.) within the app - right now I edit all that info on the website.  I'd be very interested in trying out your RunningAHEAD app!  Smile

+1. Also, I've noticed HandyRunner crashes on runs of ~4 hours, and if google maps is opened.

Chasing the bus

I'd like to be able to upload run data from another app. I use Runmeter, and can upload TCX files with a computer, but not mobile. If I could do that mobile, and edit my training calendar, I'd be more than happy, and willing to pay above average for an iPhone app. John Edit; getting the TCX file to the app via mobile is the problem. I can export the data to a URL. If I could upload run data from a URL, that would work, or if you can convince the OS to let you load straight from an email attachment...?

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
                  Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

Hangin' with Hal!

Thanks for the input, everyone!  Fortunately, it looks like most of these can be implemented, although a real-time map may not be do-able on iOS.  As for importing the data from other apps (John, I think you mentioned TCX), it can be done...I just have to figure out how to convert to a format I can upload. Smile  This gives me a good place to start...thanks again!  I'll keep y'all posted.

TedsHead

Team Me, Myself & I

I used Handy Runnerfor awhile, but the GPS on my phone was waaaay off.

It was also pretty easy to just use my phone to log my runs via the main webpage.

I tried the Runtastic app (for andriod) and that was pretty cool, but it doesn't automatically upload here, so it really doesn't help me.

But, I really liked the potential of that app, I only used the free version, since I couldn't directly use it w/ RunningAhead.

good luck.

npaden

I use the Runkeeper app to record my runs.  It's a pretty solid app IMO.  Pros are the ability to setup custom interval workouts, coaching where it tells you your target pace, etc., audio cues for about everything you can think of, you can change the timing of the cues to as short as 1 minute to 10 minutes and even longer if you want, you can edit your map after the fact if you GPS threw in a false reading off the path right in the map, nice HRM intergration, intergrates with the GymPact app and pays me a whopping 50 cents or so per run, etc.

Drawbacks are that the minimum interval you can set is 250m.  I would like to be able to do 200m intervals but the minium is .25KM.  I would also like it to automatically upload to runningahead, but it is a simple matter of saving the GPX file from runkeeper to my computer and then uploading that to runningahead.  Everything uploads great thanks to Eric, HR data, GPS data, etc. 

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Maniac

I have a Garmin 305, so uploading my runs to the site is taken care of.

However, an iPhone app that allows for better interactions in the forums/user groups would be very useful to me.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

pmichaelsny1961

spam

Skooter 3.0

Any news on this?

Goals?

BillO

Any updates?  I'd pay for this app?