Help! My Garmin won't transfer data? (Read 3241 times)

ConfusedI need help! I just got a new Garmin Forerunner 50 last week, and have yet to be able to transfer my data to Garmin Connect! I've downloaded the software, installed the ANT+ wireless stick. The ANT+ seems to recognize my watch because I see it say 'connecting with Cyndi's Garmin'. My watch then says 'upload' - but then on the PC it says 'transfer failed'? I'm not sure where the breakdown is? I work in the IT department of a major law firm, and I consider myself fairly tech savvy, but this has me stumped? I read some of the troubleshooting info on the website, and there is mention that the first time you upload data, I will be taken to the login page of Garmin Connect to 'verify' the upload. I don't recall that step even happening...it just says 'transfer failed'. I guess if I don't figure it out I'll have to uninstall and re-install everything all over again. I found the set up instructions to be very vague and simplistic, and missing information - so the whole set up piece felt sort of clunky from the beginning. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be so grateful!
    Cyndi One Hour Running, Finishing by Jan 3rd! www.brokenscale.blogspot.com
      I don't have a 50, but with the 305 and 205 series, upload problems are sometimes resolved by doing what is called a "soft reset". You can find instructions around here for that and other Garmin tricks with the Forum Search button.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Have you looked in the motionbased forums? There is a decent base of support there for the garmin watches. Search through the forums -as the answer to your question may already be there. If you can't find the answer, post your question and you should have at least one answer within the day. I've had some issues with my 405 and found the best information on troubleshooting at that site.
        ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer

Imminent Catastrophe

Do you give it plenty of time? My 405 does the same thing, It goes through that cycle and says "Transfer Failed", then after about 30 seconds it goes through the whole cycle again and that time it works. Of course the next time I start Garmin Training center software the workout has disappeared, but that's another subject. Welcome to the wonderful world of Garmin software.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

If all else fails - call them. It takes a little bit to get through the phone lines, sometimes, but I have gone that route a couple of times and had great success. Their staff has always been great to work with.
            TJoseph

I have been getting upload errors recently with my 305 to Training Center. I think if the contacts on the bottom are still damp from the run it has problems. If I dry the contacts, close the program, and then try again it usually works. I also upload the data to SportTracks. I haven't had a problem with that, but I do the SportTracks upload after Training Center. Tom

Life is Good

I have had problems with the garmin program,I switched to motion based and have had success every since..I do know that with the garmin program if I had more than 3 or 4 workouts on the watch it would not upload them, so I had to delete alot of my runs..which sucked but all in all I love my Garmin 305 and the staff at garmin are very helpful and friendly.

Run 1000 miles

bike 500 miles

finish a half Ironman triathlon

Warrior dash 2012

Chickamauga battlefield half 2012

and a few small races in between