Entering Distance for Splits Recorded on Garmin w/ GPS turned off (Read 110 times)

joescott

I can possibly add a useful fact here.  The Garmin records distance in metric.  It is only converted to miles for user presentation on the watches or on Garmin Connect if that is what the user has chosen for his preference.  But coming across in the FIT files it is *always* in meters.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Interesting fact, Joe. I also was just playing around with importing some dummy workouts and entering meters. It appears that when the log changes the display to miles, it is only for presentation also. I just imported a dummy workout and changed the intervals to 200 meters and saved it. When I saved it, the units displayed as .12 miles, but then if I hit "Edit" again they would show as 200m. I feel better knowing that the correct distance was saved and it's just for display purposes that it's changing to miles.

Runners run

eric :)

RA stores the original imported data unmodified.  It would also populate the intervals list using this data.  When you modify the intervals list, you're not modifying the imported data.  When it is displayed, RA prefers the imported data over the intervals list, which is why you're seeing the data reverting back.  I need to modify it so that it's the other way around.  I was planning to do this when I upgrade the log but haven't gotten to it because of other projects that get in the way.

kcam

The issue that Mikey brought up is one that I would like to see 'fixed' as well.  I always record my track intervals using my GPS just so I don't have to enter them in individually but I don't like seeing .24 or .26 or 408meters etc.  I change them and then next time I look at them they've reverted back.  I've just learned to live with it over the years.

The issue that Mikey brought up is one that I would like to see 'fixed' as well.  I always record my track intervals using my GPS just so I don't have to enter them in individually but I don't like seeing .24 or .26 or 408meters etc.  I change them and then next time I look at them they've reverted back.  I've just learned to live with it over the years.

The display reverts back to miles as the units, but the distances stay corrected, right?

I did a workout on the track last night with GPS. 3 x 2400 / jog 400. When I uploaded the workout, the intervals were all in miles but each one was a little off like you get with GPS, and the total distance was something like 5.18 miles. Something like:

1.55 mile

.26 mile

1.55mile

.25 mile

1.53 mile.

So I edited them to the actual distances I ran:

2400m

400m

2400m

400m

2400m

I hit the "auto sum intervals" tick box and it changed the total distance to 8000m, then I hit "save".

Now when I look at the workouts list it shows that workout as being 8000m but if I open the workout it says 4.97 for the total and it displays the intervals in miles as well. The distances it shows for the intervals are:

And if I hit "edit" suddenly the distances of the total and intervals are in meters again. I would rather it display in meters also, but the fact that the underlying distance seems to be correct is most important to me.

Runners run

HermosaBoy

I did a workout on the track last night with GPS. 3 x 2400 / jog 400. When I uploaded the workout, the intervals were all in miles but each one was a little off like you get with GPS, and the total distance was something like 5.18 miles. Something like:

Sorry for the hijack, but what GPS are you using?  This is the smoothest map I have ever seen of a track workout!!!

Track workout

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

joescott

I wish that were his GPS, but I bet he drew it on RA.....

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

eric :)

I wish that were his GPS, but I bet he drew it on RA.....

That's real data.  You can tell because the workout has a graph tab, which is only available with GPS data.

DaBurger

That's real data.  You can tell because the workout has a graph tab, which is only available with GPS data.

I thought the map was attached to the course (RMHS Track) not the workout, if it was actual data the map would be ~8k long.

Know thyself.

I thought the map was attached to the course (RMHS Track) not the workout, if it was actual data the map would be ~8k long.

Correct. Eric may be able to see the GPS map from the workout, but the rest of you are (were) seeing the map for the course "RMHS Track", which I drew just for laughs a long time ago.

I just made the map from last nights workout publicly viewable. It's not as smooth but still pretty good for a $200 watch that's communicating with satellites orbiting the earth in space and tracking the position of a runner making turns around a 400m oval.

hermosaboy, my watch is a Garmin FR 210.

Runners run

HermosaBoy

I just made the map from last nights workout publicly viewable. It's not as smooth but still pretty good for a $200 watch that's communicating with satellites orbiting the earth in space and tracking the position of a runner making turns around a 400m oval.

hermosaboy, my watch is a Garmin FR 210.

Still looks pretty good to me -- I have never had mine look so clean using FR 205, 210, 305 or 310.  I must be zigging and zagging a lot...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob