Garmin Alternative HR Strap (Read 166 times)

bjoiner

Hey Guys,

So I have a brand new shiny (for now) Garmin 910xt.  (Actually I've had it for about 3 months.)  The problem is the strap is tearing up my chest so badly that it looks like I got into a fight with a set of kitchen knives.

I've tried band-aids, which work but are expensive in the long run.  I've even tried DC Rainmaker's idea of putting the band-aid on the strap itself, but to no avail.

I used to have a Polar and I LOVED the strap, but unfortunately it's not ANT+ compatible.  Anyone have a suggestion for a comfortable/reliable strap that works with Garmin?

zonykel

You can use a hybrid: use the polar strap and garmin HR transmitter. Check DC rainmaker's site for the specific strap.

the only thing I had to do is clip off a little bit of rubber on the strap to make sure everything fit right.

bjoiner

You can use a hybrid: use the polar strap and garmin HR transmitter. Check DC rainmaker's site for the specific strap.

the only thing I had to do is clip off a little bit of rubber on the strap to make sure everything fit right.

That's awesome. I will definitely give that a go.  Thanks zonykel!

Try this one.

The one that DC RAinmaker describes is one that I had anyway and was having trouble with my Polar.  However, I found a later comment about the strap I listed above. I've only had it a little under 3 months so far. Time will tell in the long term. Yes, the rubber around the snaps definitely needs to be cut away slightly for a snug seating of the transmitter in the strap.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Loves the outdoors

I had heaps of problems with the first style of Garmin soft strap. It only worked for a couple of months and then gave crazy numbers constantly. I also would get rubbing and ended up having permanent grazes on my chest which I ended up covering with band-aids and that did help a bit. However, because I couldn't fix the issue with the strap giving shonky numbers I bought one of the old style wide plastic HR straps. Since then I've never had an issue with either the strap damaging my skin or the numbers. So my vote is to go old school. You wouldn't think the large awkward looking strap would be more comfy, but for me it is.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

DDXD

Slower than I look

I can attest to the fact that using the polar strap (their newest soft strap model) with the Garmin transmitter is the way to go.  I had the exact same problem with the Garmin strap tearing up my chest.  I didn't even notice it until one day I got in the shower and blood was all over my chest.  My last watch was a Polar RC3 GPS though so I decided to see if that Polar strap would work with my Garmin trasnmitter.  It worked perfectly without tearing an extra hole in me.  I sitll have a damn scar from that stupid other strap.

fellrnr

Note that there are two types of Polar strap - Wearlink and Wearlink+. The Wearlink+ lasts longer than the Wearlink, but I've had chaffing problems with the Wearlink+.If you're having problems with chaffing, then make sure you get the Wearlink not the Wearlink+.

More details, including pictures at http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Garmin_Heart_Rate_Monitoring

bjoiner

http://www.bing.com/shopping/purelime-maximum-control-wire-free-sports-bra-compatible-with/p/F6453D0DB1CD71035020?q=heart+rate+monitor+bra&lpq=heart%20rate%20monitor%20bra&FORM=HURE

Thanks Ileneforward,  but I'm afraid that link doesn't help me very much.  (I'm a dude) :-)

I actually tried my old heart rate strap last night with the Garmin transmitter.  Works perfectly.  Well, mostly - I've had the polar strap for a long time and I think it's finally giving up the ghost.  Which is the reason I bought the Garmin in the first place.  But I think I'm going to buy a replacement polar strap because until recently, I've had no issues with it.

toallero

spam

I've been using old style Garmin HRM straps for a long time now.  I've gone through one transmitter and several elastic straps.  I have never liked the strap around my chest, the need for goop to get a good connection, or the narrow range of tension between too tight and falling down.

I bought a Scosche Rhythm Plus HR transmitter three weeks ago, and have been using it since with good success.  It did not work in the suggested location, it did not work on my wrist, but it's been working just fine on the inside of my upper arm just above the elbow.