Use iPhone to maintain running logs (Read 1018 times)

Hi, Does anyone think that the iPhone can replace the garmin or other gps devices for logging our runs. The new iphone will have a built in gps and with the appropriate software, I think this would be possible. I am bored at work and just thought that could be one justification of getting the new iPhone. The only downside would be that it is not as easy to carry as the gps watch devices. But it could serve multiple functions by acting as a gps and mp3 player. Anyone else think that this would be a good device for us runners or am I thinking crazy right now!!!!!

I see a few problems for me personally: 1. I'd have to buy an iPhone, which I consider to be overpriced and which locks me into a cell phone contract that I don't want. 2. It isn't as convenient to carry as a watch. 3. It isn't as convenient to use while running as a watch to see distance or pace or duration. 4. It doesn't have a heart rate monitor feature. 5. It's heavier than the latest models of GPS watches. 6. It doesn't have any features that I would use on a run that my GPS watch has, and the only advantage that I can think of is that if I am running somewhere and need help and have cell coverage, then I can make a phone call. 7. I would have to remember to turn the ringer off before going running. I don't want people to be able to reach me and bother me while I'm working out. (Not that that would actually be a problem; I always leave my ringer of since I never want people to be able to reach me and bother me. The cell phone is for my convenience, not theirs.)

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

R2W, you could use the iPod Touch and not be locked into any service contract. It has most of the other functionality. But I agree, I would not want to carry such an fancy and expensive piece of equipment with me on a run.

R2W, you could use the iPod Touch and not be locked into any service contract. It has most of the other functionality. But I agree, I would not want to carry such an fancy and expensive piece of equipment with me on a run.
          But since I don't listen to music when I run, I don't see the need for that. I use a $50 timex watch that I bought 5 years ago most of the time and it suits me fine, and the rest of the time I have a GPS watch so that's another reason I wouldn't bother with something else. (I didn't feel that was a valid reason for somebody considering one over the other though. And my watch is back at Garmin right now getting repaired.)

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Right. I would see it as a computer replacement. When I finish a run, I would pop up my iPod Touch or iPhone and enter my data instead of waiting the 10 minutes until I get home.
              I think it's a good idea as you would hit a different customer than those of us with Garmins. It would be essentially the same person who uses a Nike+iPod system. Shouldn't cost too much either since you wouldn't need to provide maps; just take a GPS reading every few seconds and store the data, calculate the distance traveled, etc.
              Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Wouldn't the touch need constant WIFI access to map accurately? The iPhone has this connectivity built in by way of the phone contract.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Phone-based running programs have been around for a while, ever since phones started doing GPS and psuedo-GPS functionality (see, e.g., Bones in Motion). I don't think the reviews have been very good. Runners complain about the GPS inaccuracy, the bulkiness of the phone, and the non-user friendly software. The iPhone 2 doesn't do anything that would fix or lessen any of these issues. In fact, based on the specs I've seen, the iPhone 2 would be in the middle, at best, of the GPS-phone performance range. So while you are free to try using the iPhone to replace a real GPS device like a Garmin, I would be prepared to be underwhelmed.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Imminent Catastrophe

R2W, you could use the iPod Touch and not be locked into any service contract. It has most of the other functionality.
                    Did they add GPS to the iPod Touch?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Did they add GPS to the iPod Touch?
                      I dunno...I think it does the WiFi pseudo-GPS.
                        iPod Touch uses wi-fi to calculate your location, but its accuracy seems iffy for something like logging miles. iPhone 3G has a real GPS chip but it uses cell towers to get a fix quicker.
                        Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

What if you are running in an area with no WIFI? Wouldn't that make the Touch useless?

TRUST THE PROCESS

What if you are running in an area with no WIFI? Wouldn't that make the Touch useless?
                            Correct. I'm not sure if Trent was kidding by suggesting the Touch, but in reality its not a reasonable option.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Berner, thanks so much. I was beginning to think I missed something!

TRUST THE PROCESS

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Correct. I'm not sure if Trent was kidding by suggesting the Touch, but in reality its not a reasonable option.
                                Smile