Easy runs pacing (Read 817 times)

I've been having problems slowing down on my easy runs. Could be because till just 2-3 months ago I did most of my running on a treadmill and got used to a steady pace of whatever I set the machine for. Anyway, any time I go out now my legs forget to slow down. I found a solution. I take my 11 year old son with me on the slow runs and since I am still much faster than he is, he is my pacer. I am hoping that by the time he is able to outrun me I'll learn to pace myself. He gets some good exercise also so we are both happy. Ewa
    I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill

Now that was a bath...

I think that's a fab idea!!! My son asked if he could run with me the other day and I wasn't so warm to the idea, but he is only seven. I figured either he would slow me down or i'd slow him down - and the latter would have annoyed me even more Big grin What a cool way of pacing yourself and maybe you'll encourage a future long distance runner to be! Claire xxx
    • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
    • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
        Claire - you could try taking your son with you if he likes to bike ride. He may be a bit faster than you (how fast do 7 year olds ride these days???) but it would probably work out well.
          I read this thing that during a warmup around the block a mom would take her son out, then while she ran he would prepare a game they would play like football or something and just moving around that way worked as her cool down...that's such a great idea!
          Kate ;) "The pain of regret is greater than the pain of self discipline."
          Scout7

How much faster are you running than what you think you're supposed to be running?
              How much faster are you running than what you think you're supposed to be running?
              About 1 min/mile. Checking my HR monitor does not seem to be helping much. I need to run with my son more often. Smile
              I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
              Mishka-old log

If you have a recent race result...try this link. It has recommended paces for all aspects of training based on your most recent race. The pace designated on the "easy runs" line is the pace to do most of your miles. http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/rununiv/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

madness baby

Mishka, that's so helpful and concise. Thanks for posting that site! I can't slow down on my easy runs, either, unless they're runs longer than 7 miles or so (then I don't seem to have a problem slowing down). I seem to be that "pacer" helping my husband take his easy runs slower, but I don't have anyone helping me pace myself. It's great that you have a little buddy, Ewa!
                  deb