Is sub 3 possible for me in 9 weeks? 16 weeks actually (Read 624 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I can time trial better when I have company or someone to chase. I tried and failed, but came close, to running a PR once, chasing a friend on the track (who was running her tempo run).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

As another wannabe sub 3'er. I'm absorbing all of this.

No more time trials for me. Chasing or being chased only works during a race, not when it's only a couple other guys. (for me anyway)

Fast finish long runs and big mileage got me the closest to thinking a sub 3 was possible.

I'd say the OP needs more miles, but it'd be cool to see him pull it off.

Get off my porch

Feeling the growl again

OK re time trials, let me put it another way -- even if one sucks at time trials, if you lay one down in sub-39 that would be a great indicator, right?  If you can time trial it you can race it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

bhearn

No way in hell would I have been able to do that before my first (or any subsequent) sub-3. OTOH, I seem to recall the OP is decent at time trialing.

Feeling the growl again

No way in hell would I have been able to do that before my first (or any subsequent) sub-3. OTOH, I seem to recall the OP is decent at time trialing.

That's kind of my point.  If you can't do it...well, you know you suck at time trialing, so no big deal.  But if you CAN do it, then it is one heck of a positive indicator.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

bhearn

OK, having reviewed the thread and David's log, I think I'm less pessimistic than most of you. I wouldn't rule out a sub-3. But I don't think we have enough info. Reasons: (1) I seem to recall (though could be misremembering) being impressed with the 3:09 given the lead up. (2) 1:28 on a pretty hilly half, before the goal marathon training, is a decent indicator. (3) Relatively new and still improving (says the guy who went from a 3:12 debut to a 3:43 at #2 on better training...).

Is the marathon Erie? That looks fast.

I note that we haven't heard from David since suggesting a 10K / 5mi / time trial this weekend. I'd still think that would be the best indicator at this point. If he wants to go for it without an indicator, fine, but if it were me I'd head over to Berwick for that 5 miler, and look for < 31.

drifter

I like how we carry on about a 10K two weeks out as if David is going find one no problem.

I like how we carry on about all those race performance indicators as if David is going to adopt one

I like how we carry on about all those race performance indicators as if David is going to adopt one

And winning the "zinger of the day" award is....

Thanks guy. I am going out for a time trail in 10 minutes. I am not sure that I can do it in sub-39. Thinking about a 6:10 pace for 6.2 miles is scary. I will be back to report.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Feeling the growl again

And winning the "zinger of the day" award is....

+1.  I guess we should take our ball and go home, this thread has obviously been worthless...

Feeling the growl again

Thanks guy. I am going out for a time trail in 10 minutes. I am not sure that I can do it in sub-39. Thinking about a 6:10 pace for 6.2 miles is scary. I will be back to report.

Don't think.  do.  Wink

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

g'luck, David.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Goorun

Predictions ?

41:03

Slow and steady never wins anything.

bhearn

40:30

xhristopher

Back to back 5K PRs? Go David.