Easier Running With Others? (Read 686 times)

joescott

For example, if I'm running a 10K sponsored event and I'm with a few hundred others, I'll find it easier to run those six miles than if I was running them after work on the weekday alone. Does anyone else experience this?

For the same pace, yes, absolutely.  In fact, I can't touch the same pace running by myself.  This is what I like to call "race day magic", although I'm sure it's not original with me.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

DoppleBock

I run 98-99% of my runs alone.  I find it much easier to run on my schedule the distance and workout I want to do ... I guess I am selfish.  I do understand the committment idea and I have set up a run with a friend a few times and would have never run outside in those conditions, but do out of the feeling of committment.

Actually during the run - The time usually feels like it passes faster with other people, but I do not mind time passing slow.

All that being said - I am trying to get to a point where I run close to 10% of my runs with other people.

Is it just me or does it seem easier to run if one is in a group? For some reason I find it much easier to run if I'm involved in a event and I'm surrounded by other runners. When I'm running alone it sometimes can seem rather tedious. For example, if I'm running a 10K sponsored event and I'm with a few hundred others, I'll find it easier to run those six miles than if I was running them after work on the weekday alone. Does anyone else experience this?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Snowdenrun

I almost never run with others. I'm always worried, am I running to fast, to slow, can I move ahead of them, hope they aren't holding back just because of me, is my pace staying even? I also hate holding a conversation while running, and it seems like most people who run in groups like to socialize(which is just fine). There is always that awkward "okay, lets start running... now". Really just not my thing. When I run it's my time and I'm selfish about that.

I absolutely see the benefits of running with others. You get to run new places you otherwise might not. The group or running partner can push you to new levels or you can help someone else out, there is someone there in case of injury.

Its just not really my thing. I would be up for occasionally running with another person where its a trail I haven't been on, or during the salmon run when bears are everywhere! But for the most part I like to be alone during my runs. I'm slowing trying to build my dog up to running but she's a much better hiker.

Why is it sideways?

I think  stadjak's thread (and his racing results) speak volumes about the benefits of a good training group. Worth a read for any runner looking to take their running to new places this year.

Not dead. Yet.

I almost never run with others. I'm always worried, am I running to fast, to slow, can I move ahead of them, hope they aren't holding back just because of me, is my pace staying even? I also hate holding a conversation while running, and it seems like most people who run in groups like to socialize(which is just fine). There is always that awkward "okay, lets start running... now". Really just not my thing. When I run it's my time and I'm selfish about that.

You could have taken the words out of my mouth.  I kind of keep the same demeanor for most activities, though.  I just can't stand holding myself to someone else's pace; whether it's faster or slower or different.  I guess it could be called selfish, but to me it's more just about having differing priorities.  It's just not worth it to me to change my training so that I can be with someone else, and I don't have any problem motivating myself to run alone.

Sometimes I wish I was more social, but I've come to accept life as a loner.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

DoppleBock

Some of it is the availability of running partners.  I have 3 that I might be able to match up with that are similar to slightly better ability level.  The only time we would be able to run together would be either Sat or Sun morning for a longer run with some pace at the end.

I could not match up with them for true road speed work - But could go to the track I suppose.

I have a couple of people I can do longer technical trail runs with.

Once downhill ski season is done (Weekend activity) I will try and run with the group Saturday mornings.  It will mean re-arranging my training week to make sure I am fresh enough to keep up with them in the 2nd half of run.

I think  stadjak's thread (and his racing results) speak volumes about the benefits of a good training group. Worth a read for any runner looking to take their running to new places this year.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Better I Leave

Well, I suppose I get wrapped up in the "excitement of the event" that gives me that extra...push perhaps. I always run solo except for at races. I can't find anyone around here who wants to run! They all think I'm nuts when I talk about how great it is/feels.

RSX

I ran with neighbors for 10 years which was great, but moved so do it less often. I am less likely to slack off in groups, plus if there are any aches and pains I can ignore them for a while. I tend to mix up my runs solo, but in a group we did the same daily ones which never felt routine.

I found a new running club, and love when a bunch of us go on a run. If I start off too fast I can hang back and run with a smaller group. The last few miles fly by.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

For the same pace, yes, absolutely.  In fact, I can't touch the same pace running by myself.  This is what I like to call "race day magic", although I'm sure it's not original with me.

Those are some Big, Hairy, Impressive goals!  Good luck working towards them.  I totally agree about the race day magic.  HMP during a race feels a heck of a lot more realistic than it does during training.

Generally I use my group runs to keep my pace in check.  I also like to use group runs as days for me to run doubles.  I wouldn't say it's easier, but getting a chance to train with others for the first time this year has really energized my running.  Part of that is being with the running group has given me a chance to do new things, like serve as a pacer or run obscure trail runs, and the other part is just getting to be around others that enjoy the same activity.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn