I am sitting on Costanza's wallet. (Read 245 times)

Chris Pinney

This is what it feels like when I am driving. A dull achy feeling that seems to be coming from below and behind my hipbone. I hardly feel it when running. I have been following the torn hip labrum thread and this has got me pretty concerned, although I never feel anything on the inside of my thigh.I have noticed it for a month or two and don't think it has gotten any worse. I am registered for my third marathon in late October (MCM), and I really want to start building base miles now but if rest is whats required now would be the time. A bit of background- 100+ miles per month this year. Most of those are probably run too hard. Male 38,6ft.,163lbs.Any advice ?

RunNow

No idea brah, but maybe the dingo ate yer baby.

Chris Pinney

I am trying real hard right now to not turn this into a Seinfeld thread but my hip feels fine at the moment

I'm no medical professional, but I can get you in to see Mayor Dinkins' doctor.

Dave

#artbydmcbride

piriformis syndrome?

Runners run

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I bet you have some good coupons in there.

Hip Redux

There's another fairly common symptom for labrum issues and that's the "C sign" - see Fig 3:   http://www.aafp.org/afp/2009/1215/p1429.html

Is it anywhere near there?

Feeling the growl again

There's another fairly common symptom for labrum issues and that's the "C sign" - see Fig 3:   http://www.aafp.org/afp/2009/1215/p1429.html

Is it anywhere near there?

First off, thanks for the link.  Informative.

We've had a lot of people around here the last few years with various hip issues.  The problem is, apparently, there are a lot of them.  I lost parts of 2012 and most of 2013 to a hip injury  that could have been FAI as described in that thread.  However, as mine fully resolved after deep muscle massages away from the joint before recurring a week or more later I decided it was more likely sciatic nerve adhesion.  An X-ray ruled out major structural issues or arthritis.  Now I am fine running, although I feel a dull ache any time I sit much and especially when I drive.

I'd recommend you inform yourself as much as possible and talk to a doctor about it.  After watching how much it took for many to get a diagnosis I elected to put off spending the money unless I couldn't get over it any other way...and I got luck...for now.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Chris Pinney

Thank you oski, spaniel . This seems to be at exactly I will pull out the marble rolling pin and go to work

Chris Pinney

I bet you have some good coupons in there.

I have a two for one earlybird. Also one for a free tennis lesson.

Chris Pinney

piriformis syndrome?

this could be it as well as the pain does radiate downward sometimes and I have lower back pain occasionally usually when running in the early morning Google is a dangerous thing

Feeling the growl again

this could be it as well as the pain does radiate downward sometimes and I have lower back pain occasionally usually when running in the early morning Google is a dangerous thing

The radiation may mean nothing, but makes it more likely to be nerve-related.  Mine first arose in 2006 and I could cure it by going out and doing really all-out fartleks at ~4:30 mile pace for a few hundred years yards.  It would hurt like hell but apparently would rip the adhesion loose.  It would happen about once a year until 2011, when the frequency began to increase.  I linked this to trying to train for ultras, doing longer, slower runs with less range of motion and less speed training.  Basically the nerve would get irritated, the muscle around it would inflame and contract, and shortly the right leg would cease functioning at the hip.

I learned that if I had my wife do a tearfully painful deep tissue massage on the affected area, a couple days later I would be running pain-free.  This repeated weekly for 2-3 months until it was not needed anymore.  I think the scar tissue just needed to be fully broken up to prevent further adhesions.

Keep working on the area.  There is a lot to do in terms of stretching, strengthening, and freeing up the nerve before resorting to surgery.  But depending on your insurance there is imaging to help narrow things down right now.

MTA:   Heh.  If I could run 4:30 pace for a few hundred years I'd rock every WR above HM.  DMN auto-correct.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

SubDood

If it is piriformis syndrome, I have some recent experience. Google led me to suspect a piriformis issue in February/March, and a very good physical therapist confirmed it (as well as a physician's assistant -- referral needed to get insurance to cover the PT visits).  In lieu of Spaniel's wife, I used a lacrosse ball to get into the affected area; I sat on it and rolled around with all my weight focused on the tissue. Hurts like hell, but provided me with relief. The PT had me do a series of stretches and exercises, and the improvement was gradual -- several weeks of diligently doing the exercises before I really felt that the issue had resolved itself. In my case, I also found that running hard seemed to "shake things loose" a bit, although I am not able to do anything close to 4:30 mile pace. The stretch that helped most was the pigeon stretch. The exercises that helped most in my case were clamshells and monster walks (resistance band around ankles, step sideways). Google might be helpful in finding video and descriptions of these. ymmv.

-- Art Vandelay

Chris Pinney

The pigeon stretch definitely is helping me.Just taking my time easing into it. Feelin it in the right spots. Thanks

RunNow

I don't know how you people walk around with those things.