More miles than degrees (Read 1384 times)

xor

I don't know how you folks do it.  I'm amazed.

I would have had to run 46 miles this morning.  That did not happen.  The closest I got was a 4.5 miler earlier this week in the midwest when it was 20 (windchill in the single digits?) and I thought I was going to die.

keeponrunning

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

You'll ruin your knees!

I managed to do it twice recently, once on 9/25 and again on 10/31... (not the winter, but still...)

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

dorunrun

It was -20F yesterday when I did 5.5 miles. Really was not that bad, my feet were VERY cold the first mile. The part that scares me is if you would for some reason need to stop running, I don't think you would last long in those temps.

I just wish the snow was gone. Running on these surfaces is very hard on my Achilles.

You are smart to be concerned! A few years back, while on an 8 miler on a -2F very dark early morning run, I stepped on a beer can at mile 4 and twisted my ankle. Didn't go down, but it slowed me down for a few minutes. Then, 1 mile from home (all this was out on country roads mind you!), I stepped on a chunk of ice. ...same ankle! This time I went down. What do you do? Couldn't crawl a mile! Jogged/walked back home, showered, and went to work. Found out later that evening I had broken a bone in my foot.  Could have ended MUCH worse!

xor

I managed to do it twice recently, once on 9/25 and again on 10/31... (not the winter, but still...)

ha. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I've never managed it. I came close today -- ran more miles than the degrees was when I started. But the stupid day heated up, robbing me of my chance...    I think 22F at start, 29F at end, and abt 26mi (two separate runs).

But I don't miss accomplishing this enough to want to run in the really cold, cause I'm not as tough as you northern lunatics.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Perry, the day is not done.
                AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Perry, the day is not done.

Good thing I didn't have any fluid in my mouth or I would have spit it all over.

Good thing I'm not stupid enough to go... Hmm....

Sept 25, 09 it was 87 degrees and I ran 100 miles... though I think you're going for low temps.  jlynnbob ran the same race. 

jeffdonahue

Sept 25, 09 it was 87 degrees and I ran 100 miles... though I think you're going for low temps.  jlynnbob ran the same race. 

Now that's hard core.  You win.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Now that's hard core.  You win.

+1

jfa

If I remember correclty, windchill didnt count.

windchill is an invention of the man

xor

Stick it to the man!

what are lions?

yeah, after today's 10 mi at <20 deg's (wind gusts up to 50 mph), i have renewed respect for those who train over winter mo's for spring marathons. cut my run a little shorter than planned b/c of frostbite worries (opted not to wear balaclava- bad decision). 4 layers. felt like an onion. but needed them all. i also do worry about 'what happens if you fall, twist ankle, etc'  when it's cold out...carried my cell today, but even that's no guarantee.

ymmv

I've never managed it. I came close today -- ran more miles than the degrees was when I started. But the stupid day heated up, robbing me of my chance...    I think 22F at start, 29F at end, and abt 26mi (two separate runs).

But I don't miss accomplishing this enough to want to run in the really cold, cause I'm not as tough as you northern lunatics.

i think that the temperature when you start is the number you use.  i've managed to score points only once here in maryland. last winter. 16 miles when it was 3 degrees at the start.