2013 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 601 times)

lagwagon

So I guess for the time being, just so I don't forget to make a choice by the end of this month, I'm taking the bus from the Meadowlands at 5 - 6 am, which I guess means I should leave my house at like 4 am?!

dbilenkin,  I havent made my selection yet, but I'm leaning towards doing the same (coming from westfield).  its counterintuitive for me b/c I'm pretty close to staten island, but with the SI expressway closing at 6:30, I think the meadowlands bus might be a safer play than a car service.  

hope you are getting out on that towpath for your long runs...may see you there at some point.  

TakeAHike

Week 3 is now done.  I live in the NYC suburbs and the heat and humidity were pretty rough all week.  I ran early and late to avoid the worst of the heat, but I still had to adjust my pace.  My LR today was a confidence booster.  It was hot and humid and I ran 15 @ 8:55.  This was my longest run in 10 years and I felt strong.  I could have pushed the pace a bit, but I thought it was prudent to just get the miles in. Tomorrow is a rest day, so I end the week with 43.

I hope everyone else is having a good week.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

Julia1971

TakeAHike, Congrats on finishing your longest run in 10 years.  Wow, that's really great.

Week 3 is in the books for me, as well.  Overall it was a great week - I felt like I was really adjusting to the heat and my paces were coming down.  I ran one of my medium runs indoors on the treadmill and it was nice to be able to do some quick running.  I also did some strides on Friday and my legs just felt amazing.  Things are really looking up and then...  My long run today was pretty much a disaster.  So bad that I walked in places and then just decided to end my misery after 13.7 miles.  I can't wait for tomorrow's run so I can put this last one behind me.  The week ahead looks like base building workouts, which clearly I need.

Happy running, everyone!

P.S.  Not sure how many of you have "liked" the NYCM FB page and saw this already but I thought this picture from the first race was pretty neat:

TakeAHike, Congrats on finishing your longest run in 10 years.  Wow, that's really great.

Week 3 is in the books for me, as well.  Overall it was a great week - I felt like I was really adjusting to the heat and my paces were coming down.  I ran one of my medium runs indoors on the treadmill and it was nice to be able to do some quick running.  I also did some strides on Friday and my legs just felt amazing.  Things are really looking up and then...  My long run today was pretty much a disaster.  So bad that I walked in places and then just decided to end my misery after 13.7 miles.  I can't wait for tomorrow's run so I can put this last one behind me.  The week ahead looks like base building workouts, which clearly I need.

Happy running, everyone!

P.S.  Not sure how many of you have "liked" the NYCM FB page and saw this already but I thought this picture from the first race was pretty neat:

Yeah, tough day in our area. Had a "special" 14th mile as well.

Drink up!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

lagwagon

Yeah, tough day in our area. Had a "special" 14th mile as well.

Drink up!

Great week TAhiker, Julia.  Cooler weather is inbound (high 80s is sounding great.)

I can sympathize with long run agony today...I took to the trails for a long run, easy pace, but hamstring gave up after long downhill at mile 15.  Slowed pace and finished.  Some novel and painful chafing today too.  

A nice belgian ale and tomorrow off.  Moving on to week 4....good running everyone!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Finished Week 3, a cutback week, with 14 miles and the last 4 @ MP.  It was 92F and 77 dewpoint by the time I did my MP miles (7:30am) so they were somewhat slow (still within the range, though).  44 miles for the week.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Another week completed! Brutal weather, slow paces, but got the miles in. I do have the option of using a treadmill at the Y, but running outside in 90 degree weather with 85% humidity still seems like a better option. I admire you treadmill folks; the longest I've ever gone on a treadmill was 4 miles and I hated every minute.

Hoping for better weather this week.

Julia1971

Week 4 is dunzo.  And, it ended in triumph - I completed my first 20 miler of this training cycle today!  Apparently, you can run really far if you just slow down a little. Shocked  That, and if Canada sends you some colder air to lower the temps and dewpoints.  Thank you, Canada!  Things get serious next week - I'll have my first double tomorrow followed by a tempo run on Monday.  Then, mostly bread and butter stuff until an MP run next Saturday...  Things were pretty uneventful this week.  I did a treadmill/outdoor hybrid medium run that was pretty interesting.  It was good because I got to mix in some faster miles but bad because it was kind of a pain transitioning from one to the other.  I also had another sports massage.  Once again, the masseuse said everything seems good so I'm going to wait a little longer for the next one.  He really worked my hips and lower back this time and I feel like I've been running with better posture this week.

Hope everyone's holding up well!

ymmv

I finished my first week over 60 miles in quite awhile. I used to do many more longer slower runs, but now I'm working on more quality mixed in. Hard to tell, but it feels like it to me!

I ran my first ever 1 mile track race last Saturday. That was tough, and my pace was not much faster than what many of you need to hold for 25 more miles and a BQ. Humbling!

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  I finished Week 4 with 18 miles.  It was horribly hot and humid so they were not my best but they were done and not too slow.  Finished my week at 55 miles.

Great job, everybody!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

TakeAHike

Training continues to go pretty well for me.  I finished up week 4 with a strong 16 mile LR, which capped off a 45 mile week.  Temps were much better this week, so I was able to hit my paces in the LR. (first half: MP + 20%, second half: MP + 10%).   I felt good during and after the run, but I suffered a bit during today's tempo run, so it may have taken more out of me than I realized.  Next weekend is my next MP run, with 10 miles at MP.  I will be out of town, so I'll be running an unfamiliar route.  I plan to map something out this week.

Julia - congrats on the 20 miler.  Let's hope the cooler temperatures last a bit longer.

ymmv - Track races can be humbling because there are always people who are much faster than we are.  I really enjoy mile races, but I have come to prefer straight road miles.  I will probably skip the 5th Avenue Mile this year, which is my favorite, because I just can't make it fit into my training schedule. Good job with the 60 mile week.  I have never hit that level with quality or without.

D_R - Way to get it down despite the heat and humidity.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

meaghansketch

Thanks to the cooler temperatures, I had a great training week, and am feeling pretty great (though ready for a cutback this week!)

Tuesday- 10x400 @ 3K pace

Friday- 3x 1-mile repeats @ 10K pace (though I pushed the pace a bit and managed 7:46-7:53... My 10K PR is really soft but I was estimating 8:00 for my session last week on the TM)

Sunday- 16 mile long run in 2:41 (10:01 pace)

I have a race on Saturday, so I'm taking this week as a bit of a cutback week.  I'll try to get a halfway decent number of miles, but I'm planning on skipping my long run, which will cut into my mileage a lot, and I'm going to take a taper day before the race and just do an easy 4 miles or something.

Julia- Nice 20 miler!

ymmv- Great job on the 60-mile week!

Damaris- Nice miles and great job on the warm and humid long run!

TakeAHike- The weather's giving us a break, isn't it?  I love the 5th avenue mile but will probably skip it this year too.  Nice miles, and good luck on your MP run next week.

lagwagon

I also made it through another week!  Decent quality week with a great 18 mi fast finish trail run.  The week came up a few miles short due to a 5k on Wed night.

Aerobically, I'm feeling pretty good, and almost back to form.  However, my calf, which forced my out of my spring marathon, is acting up a little bit.  Felt fine during a 14 mi run today, but a little tight tonight.  One day at a time, if its not better by the weekend I'll take a few days off.

Two tweets from INGNYC today struck me as interesting:  97 days to go, and a cryptic announcement that I decipher as "Ryan Hall is running NYC this year"....

Docket_Rocket

They should've added the "unless he does not" at the end.

I also made it through another week!  Decent quality week with a great 18 mi fast finish trail run.  The week came up a few miles short due to a 5k on Wed night.

Aerobically, I'm feeling pretty good, and almost back to form.  However, my calf, which forced my out of my spring marathon, is acting up a little bit.  Felt fine during a 14 mi run today, but a little tight tonight.  One day at a time, if its not better by the weekend I'll take a few days off.

Two tweets from INGNYC today struck me as interesting:  97 days to go, and a cryptic announcement that I decipher as "Ryan Hall is running NYC this year"....

Damaris

Fundraising Page

meaghansketch

Less cryptic, now:

"We're so excited to announce that these three amazing U.S. pro runners—Meb Keflezighi, Kara Goucher, and Ryan Hall—will be joining us for this year's ING New York City Marathon! "

(Damaris, your 'unless he does not' re: Ryan Hall is definitely on point.)