perfect running partner (Read 604 times)

What makes the perfect running partner?  I've had a number of different running partners and as I look for another, I feel like I'm holding auditions.  Here are some of thing that I think make a great running partner.  I have had many of these traits in running partners and yes, I know I've been lucky.

Consistent pacing

Doesn't whine

Great story teller on long runs

Quiet when I feel like I'm going to die on long runs, super hot weather, just not feeling it

Significant other who will put out fluid out for long runs

Pushes you and wants to be pushed too

Shows up regardless of weather

Can put up with this interview process

What about you?

dirtroadrunner

Mine meets all of those except the talking part Smile she does bark occasionally though Smile

sugnim

Perfect running partner:

• Doesn't stop to pee on every tree
        • Doesn't bark at others
        • Doesn't stop to sniff everything
        • Is good on or off leash
        • Is always ready to run in any weather conditions and in all terrain
        • Looks tough enough to intimidate others but is actually super sweet.

This is my running partner & I after running up a mountain in the snow last Sunday.  It was her most challenging run yet.

I run alone.  No running partner, ever (Type "B" overall personality I guess.

On occasion I do get interested in hearing a little story or 2 though, so I will match my pace to a couple folks who are  telling stories and having discussions as they are running.

--- Some of the things y'all ladies talk about in the open (relationshipwise, "what the gynecologist said about the latest test", or other such topics, are a bit much though!)  --- Time to pick up the pace again and move out ahead...... Approve   (In all fairness, some of the guys can be just as candid with the stuff they talk about mid-race)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

• Doesn't bark at others
            • Looks tough enough to intimidate others but is actually super sweet.

i regularly fail each and every of those criterion.  guess it's why i jog alone...

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

Perfect running partner:

• Doesn't bark at others
              • Looks tough enough to intimidate others but is actually super sweet

That pretty much describes my perfect running partner too.  Unfortunately neither of my two running partners lives up to all those criteria...they're definitely on-leash dogs, wouldn't trust them otherwise (part of it is the nature of the bike path we run on too), and one of them has the unfortunate desire to pee on everything she sees after giving it a thorough sniffing as well as wanting to "herd" every bike or faster runner who goes by us.  But she's only 18 lb so I've gotten pretty good at not letting her stop all the time or charge after the bikes & joggers.  My 2nd running partner is much better unless we run into another dog.

ShotNixon

This Space For Rent

i regularly fail each and every of those criterion.  guess it's why i jog alone...

Jog?

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

I rarely run with anyone and for a while I actually avoided it. Now days I run with my Sister every once and a while and it's really nice. My BF is also pretty good about slowing WAY down to meet my pace and entertain me on our runs. I've really grown to enjoy the company but mostly I run in solitude.

I think your list is what I would want if I were in a position to ask those things of someone. I'm afraid I don't have much to offer as a running partner! lol!

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

Consistent pacing

Doesn't whine

Great story teller on long runs

Quiet when I feel like I'm going to die on long runs, super hot weather, just not feeling it

Pushes you and wants to be pushed too

Shows up regardless of weather

I'd take these, adding:

Able to run at the pre-agreed pace (I.e., "around 8:30's" doesn't mean 7:45 or 9:15)

Has the same competitive outlook

As for ...

Significant other who will put out fluid for long runs

Reading this makes me feel dirty.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I don't necessarily agree on consistent pacing but I may not be totally understanding it.  My running partner is a noticeably faster racer than me (my 5K is in the 20's, hers is in the 18's).  When we do a workout or a tempo run, we don't run side by side.  She gets a little longer break between intervals, I get a shorter one.  We still grow and get better together, though, and push each other.  On easy runs, my "easy" pace is pushed a little bit above what I'd probably run alone, and I discover that's actually fine and I can carry on a conversation.  Her easy pace is probably a little closer to recovery pace than easy pace.  But we don't run together every day, so it all works out.  We also accept that we're two different paces, so we don't have to every run together or, like I said, run side by side the whole time of a workout.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54