Coffee on race day? (Read 800 times)

This is a little last minute but I can't decide if I'll stop and get a cup of coffee on my way to the race tomorrow. I have an hour drive to get to the meeting spot and I'd enjoy some coffee for the drive. I never finish a whole cup anyhow so if I get it I'll just drink half. Is it okay to drink coffee right before a race. Actually I'm guessing I'll get my coffee at 6:30 and the race isn't until 9:00. Does anyone have advice on this? Pros/cons or will it really have no impact on my running. Any drop from the caffeine rush? I usually mix it half with decaf anyhow. I'm such a newbie to this big race stuff...sorry for the trivial question...I'm sure it's probably been discussed before. Blush

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm guessing I'll get my coffee at 6:30 and the race isn't until 9:00.
      Perfect! I'm a morning coffee drinker and on race days I try to make certain that I finished my coffee at least 1.5 hours before the start of the race...that way it's guaranteed to be, ahem, "through me," LOL! I say if you are accustomed to coffee, then you should definitely have it pre-race. Nothing new on race day! Big grin I also prefer the GUs with caffeine--little extra jolt midway through my long runs. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Oh yeah, that getting through part...FORGOT about that. Oh great, another thing I'll be worrying about. *sigh* Guess I can't really go into a race without eating or drinking before it! I'll make a pit stop along the way to the race....I think we are allowed to use the local YMCA to store our things and shower afterwards, maybe those bathrooms will be open and clean. I have a question...I want to bring jelly beans with to eat along the way. How am I supposed to do that? Any little secrets? I don't want to just carry them in my hand, they'll get icky...and leave colors on my hand I'm guessing. The only running shorts I have that are comfy don't have a pocket. Maybe I can tape them to the inside of my shirt (like candy buttons). A baggie would be annoying to carry but that might be my only logical option. I think I'm losing my mind and putting WAY too much thought into this. I should just go and run and then see how to do things the next time.

Michelle

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What length race and how many runners? Coffee is a good stimuland, but it will make you need to pee. Running also makes you need to pee. It is incumbant that you be able to empty your bladder before a run, and the coffee will make it more so. For a 5k, you may be able to wait if you get a last-minute urge. For a marathon, you can go on the run. For lengths in the middle, it is tough to stop and pee because the 2-4 minutes it may take will add a lot to your total time relative to that time.
            Speaking as a functioning caffeine addict I'd say if you normally drink coffee in the morning, then drink coffee in the morning. As Trent points out, you will need to make plans to visit the little girls room before the gun, but you probably will anyway with a long drive and I'm sure you'll be drinking something regardless. Without coffee I'm pretty sure I would cease to exist. If running is the first thing I do, then I can go with no coffee--I don't drink coffee before my early a.m. training runs for example, but I do drink coffee and lots of it, as soon as I'm done. But if I'm going to be awake for any length of time first, then I NEED coffee. Before a morning race, I will get up extra early if need be just to make sure I have time for coffee, breakfast if needed, and the subequent bathroom visit(s) to make sure I'm ready to race. Modified to add: Oops, I see I'm a day late in responding...I hope your race went well!

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have a question...I want to bring jelly beans with to eat along the way. How am I supposed to do that? Any little secrets? I don't want to just carry them in my hand, they'll get icky...and leave colors on my hand I'm guessing. The only running shorts I have that are comfy don't have a pocket. Maybe I can tape them to the inside of my shirt (like candy buttons). A baggie would be annoying to carry but that might be my only logical option.
              click Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

What a neat idea! As I found out in today's race there is a runner's belt with handy pockets...Who would have known (not me)?...AND...the jelly beans you buy at the running stores are sold in little packages...again who would have known!! I am much too new to this.

Michelle

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What length race? The sports beans will make you very thirsty, BTW.

Imminent Catastrophe

I have a question...I want to bring jelly beans with to eat along the way. How am I supposed to do that? Any little secrets? I don't want to just carry them in my hand, they'll get icky...and leave colors on my hand I'm guessing. The only running shorts I have that are comfy don't have a pocket.
                    Have you tried RaceReady shorts? lots of pockets.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Smile I now know that I need new running clothes, especially shorts with a pocket or two!

Michelle