biking -- how can it help running? (Read 1374 times)

Jill_B

I fly.

Anyone know how one can use biking to help running? Tips?

Bring it on.

Anyone know how one can use biking to help running? Tips?
      When one is injured and can't run, biking can help keep you from killing your coworkers. Yawn. Maybe someone who can actually sleep at night has some real advice. Wink

Dog-Love

Biking is great cross training and if you have any good hills where you live then biking up those hills will help a lot. Not as much for your legs as for your aerobic capacity. Even biking a straight away or using a trainer or going to a spinning class is great for aerobic capacity. You have to bike like you mean it though.
        Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
        Scout7

It has some benefit, in a cross-training sense. But it is not nearly as good as running to improve running.
          Jill_B

I fly.

I don't work, so biking won't prevent the killing of coworkers... but I do like the idea of increasing aerobic capacity.

Bring it on.

I alternate biking and running currently and find that hard biking workouts are easier to recover from than hard running workouts so I can do more total workouts... Biggest negative to biking, though is that you have to do it about 30% longer to get the comparative aerobic workout that you get from running. Biggest positive is that between the biking and running I can consistently work out 5-6 times per week without the knee/shin problems that were common to me when I tried to just run that much.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

I don't work, so biking won't prevent the killing of coworkers... but I do like the idea of increasing aerobic capacity.
                JB - When I do cross-stuff, I like to do the interval modes on the machines. So 2 minutes hard on the elliptical, 2 mins easy. You can also do this manually. You can adjust either resistance or pedal faster. Others like the growing\shrinking hill options, but I find the early hill is too easy, and the peak is too tough. If you want to ride a real bike, you are welcome to borrow mine - it needs excercise. My bike-rack fits on a mini-van and a station wagon, so it should work on yours if you want to go to the Trace, or a trail, or PWP, or somewhere.
                Jill_B

I fly.

Hey I don't drive a minivan!

Bring it on.

Isnt your car something between a station wagon and a mini-van? So if my bike rack fits both (as well as my tiny Corolla) it should work on your SUV. But if you complain to much, you can only borrow the bike, and will have to ride out to the Trace before riding there. Tongue
                    Jill_B

I fly.

My car is neither a station wagon, nor a minivan. It is a mid-sized SUV. I am personally responsible for destroying part of the planet by driving it. But maybe I will borrow your bike one day.

Bring it on.

My car is neither a station wagon, nor a minivan. It is a mid-sized SUV. I am personally responsible for destroying part of the planet by driving it. But maybe I will borrow your bike one day.
                        I always thought SUV's were something between station wagons and mini-vans. You know, big like a minivan, seats 5 like a station wagon. Family oriented like both. I think I have killed this thread. And you probably still dont think your SUV is between either. But I still think the bike-rack would work on your mid-sized SUV.
                        Jill_B

I fly.

All is well. How are you healing? when are we going out for drinks?

Bring it on.

All is well. How are you healing? when are we going out for drinks?
                            Lets go back to the bike conversation. It is less frustrating. Roll eyes
                              Depending on how hard you ride, it can, as stated earlier, increase your aerobic capacity. I mountain bike and spin 2-3 times a week and I end up working muscles that don't get as much work when I run (vice versa). I have a mild shin splint and the biking helps keep that from getting too painful. If you do ride, do a lot of hill work. I find my HR is much higher consistently riding up a hill than running. With riding you can't slow down to a crawl or else you quit riding.
                              Jill_B

I fly.

Thanks! I know just the hills to ride on...

Bring it on.