Newbie 5K: Observations, Questions, Suggestions (Read 844 times)

Beatin' on the Rock

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, so forgive me if not. Being a newbie, I think other newbies might appreciate it; you veterans can get a good giggle! I had serious anxiety going into this - my second 5K, 4th race overall. I did my other races with my pals; but this time alone. I tried hard to calm down; but the race was a bit disorganized, had to park forever away and wait another forever in line for my packet. I hurried back to the car to dump my bag ... got to the start with less than a minute to spare and realized I forgot my number! My heart rate was elevated way before the whistle blew! Consequently, I got a touch of heartburn. (Could be the toasts and hb egg with light coffee 2 hours before??) I'm so grateful for all the good advice here, and I took much to heart. I wore a "disposable" sweatshirt, which came off early on. (I found it again later Smile) I started at the very back of the pack; this was MUCH better than starting in the middle last time, being passed like crazy. This time I was the one doing the passing! Big grin I started out nice and slow as per all your admonitions. And, a bit past the halfway point, I remembered Long Run Nick's post about just having fun with it. I started smiling. Felt better. Joked with the volunteers, stuck my thumbs in my ears and wiggled fingers at the photographers, and I felt MUCH better! (Thanks Nick). My time improved by over 4 minutes since last race, even though I took it really easy til the very end. Way cool! Question: I am still afraid of not being able to run the whole thing (one of my goals), so I don't push too much. The last 100 yards, I sprinted all out, and found it very easy. Is this a sign I didn't push hard enough? Suggestions for Race Organizers: 1. Get your parking situation worked out. That extra distance to the car matters a lot. Cry 2. Course Volunteers - Please smile as I slog by; frowning, turning away to whisper to your mate - not cool. And think of something encouraging to say, if you're going to say anything; DON'T yell things like "Keep Going!"??? (What am I going to do; stop?) Confused And PLEASE, don't tell me I'm "almost there" if I have more than 1/4 mile to go! I enjoyed hearing "You're doing great!", "Go YOU!", and especially the handsome cop who said, "You're looking GOOD!". Wink (He might have been talking to the 20 something hottie next to me? It still made me feel good Blush) I'll forever feel like a noob for forgetting my number! Roll eyes Sheesh.
    Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
      Great report! I think you did a fantastic job! I've only run one 5K, but I can already see that every race will be different and present it's own challenges. I found, too, that in my race, I took it pretty easy and sprinted at the end. When I stopped running, I wan't even winded and felt like I could run it again. I think I didn't give myself enough credit for how prepared I really was. I think once we've trained for the race, our bodies, mixed with the adrenaline and excitment of the race are WAY more prepared than our minds are. Next race, I'm gonna "put hte pedal to the metal" and just see what happens. Big grin Worst case scenario is that I have to slow down halfway thru if I don't think I'll make it. Maybe that would work for you too. As for forgetting your number, I did something really embarrassing too. I was late to check in, and I pinned my number on as I was doing my warmup jog. When I got back near the start, my husband looked at me and said " did you mean to pin your number in your armpit?" I was so nervous and in a hurry, I pinned it on crooked and TOTALLY in the wrong place! DOH! I looked like an idiot Roll eyes Big grin Looking back, it was pretty funny.
        Great job. Thanks for the kind words. I am glad you had fun--that will keep you running and doing more races. Please know that I am not against pushing to your limits--when racing--once in awhile. You may over do it early and be reduced to a slog or walk.That will be a lesson learned. With over 400 races I have experimented in a lot of them:sometimes it worked--sometimes it didn't. I tell myself if I knew exactly what I was going to run race day--I probably wouldn't run the race. That is what makes it fun for me. In life, as well as running, it is important to find out what works for you as well as what doesn't work for you. Keep in motion. Nick

SMART Approach

Thunder, Good job. You are getting better and continuing to PR. You can probably run faster but you are doing things the right way by not starting too fast. Most people run too hard early on and are fried. SO, you are racing well and finishing strong feeling good. This makes a great race experience. With that being said, in the future, you will want to push yourself. It is a race and with a race race comes discomfort. Most of us experienced racers will tell you that a 5K isn't necessarily a pleasant experience because you are working into your anaerobic energy system which means pain. The goal is to develop your aerobic system so you can get faster and hold a faster pace longer and withstand the intensity. Of course, race specific work outs will help with this but you may not me ready for this yet. For me, I know if I can consciously hold back a bit the first half mile I will run a solid race. Holding back consciously generally will have me right on pace. We all feel great and hyped at the start and just go hard feeling great until about 2-3 minutes in you say, "Holy ........ I have to slow down". You don't want this. If in phenomenal shape, you can recover from this. If not, your race will be a bad experience and more painful because of early anaerobic overload. Just try to progress and continue to improve conditioning and your racing experience will help you continue race faster and race smarter.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

And PLEASE, don't tell me I'm "almost there" if I have more than 1/4 mile to go!
            That is my biggest gripe with people who watch you run/race any distance. Don't tell me at mile 18 that I'm "almost there" (this happened to me in my marathon). To me it's the most terrible thing a person can say to someone who is running.
            Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
              Sounds like you've caught the racing bug!!! Your approach to slow and steady is great, this will allow you to really have fun and not be sidelined with injury. Were you late off the start because you had to turn around and get your number?? That would suck! I ran my first 5k last year and loved it SO much! I did four 5k's last year and am training for my first HM in March. I still get really nervous before the races start but I love the energy surrounded by it all!! I've not had any problems yet with unfriendly volunteers, I can imagine what a turnoff that would be though. Angry
              ---- Cynthia
                glad you had a good race (after the parking problems anyway) as far as the volunteers go - most of them are runners. they know what you are going through. they are giving up their morning for you. so be nice. say thank you. and try not to criticise. if they weren't there (even frowning and whispering to their mates) then you wouldn't have a race to run. by the way they are probably frowning/whispering about the person running in their race who hasn't paid their entry fee and got a number (yes that is what they'll be thinking if you ran without a number)
                Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

That is my biggest gripe with people who watch you run/race any distance. Don't tell me at mile 18 that I'm "almost there" (this happened to me in my marathon). To me it's the most terrible thing a person can say to someone who is running.
                  At mile 20, not only did they tell me I was almost there, but they told me I was lookin good. Liars
                    " And PLEASE, don't tell me I'm "almost there" if I have more than 1/4 mile to go! " Right on! Nothing screws me up more than giving it everything I've got just to find out I have another leg of the race to go! What were they thinking? Roll eyes

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.