Foam Rollers and their Life Expectancy (Read 808 times)

I've had a basic, run of the mill foam roller for about a year.  It's made of closed-cell foam and wasn't particularly expensive.  My question is whether the foam would (ever? in a year? in 3 years?) break down to the point where it isn't effective anymore? Or is a cheapie less effective than a better quality product right from the start? 

I've looked a the TP roller that has several different density zones and even a couple that have some pretty intimidating knobs which I guess provide a deeper massage...

Thanks!

-m.

xor

I can't give you a great answer, except to say that the generic foam rollers (aka "the white ones") that have been at my gym for a few years don't seem to do much for me.

I bought the TP roller called "the grid".  The knobs aren't as intimidating as they seem; honestly I can't tell the difference between the various zones.  HOWEVER... the thing utilizes much denser foam material and is built around a PVC pipe core.  Knobs aside, it is vastly more effective than the old white foam rollers.  Versus a new white foam roller?  Dunno.

My gym also has a different kind of generic foam roller (aka "the black ones") that seem sturdier than the white ones.  I will use those sometimes. They definitely have lasted longer.

Mind you... over the course of a few years, a whole lot more people have used the foam rollers than you'd use one at home.  No idea how that impacts durability, but it seems obvious it would.

There's supposedly a difference in density between the white and black foam rollers.

The PT I go to has black rollers encased in cloth sleeves.  They've been well-used, and I can see a depression form after I use one (rolling on more or less the same place on the roller as I go along).  I also have a Trigger Point Therapy roller, and that baby does not crush.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

xor

My Trigger Point roller ("The Grid") looks the same. Except it is orange.

Hobby Jogger Especial!

Yes, the white or low density ones will break down. 

I replaced mine with a high density foam roller and have been very happy with it. I haven't noticed any change in density or effectiveness with the high density version and I use it a lot.

A piece of PVC pipe will last forever. 

L Train

That's a mighty long time.

A piece of PVC pipe will last forever. 

A 2 litre coca cola bottle doesn't last forever but does last long enough (or long enough for it to be 5 years out of date and still going strong).

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."