Free Boston Marathon pics - Where's Waldo meets Heartbreak Hill (Read 2244 times)

Jim Rhoades is a very good local runner, who often hits race courses with camera in hand.  The Marathon is one that he always shoots, you can find a ton of pics from 2011 (and all the way back to 2002) at http://jimrhoades.com/11/boston/

If you post the photo, he just asks that you give credit, you can just copy and paste this:

Photo courtesy of Jim Rhoades of Coolrunning

E.J.
    Greater Lowell Road Runners
    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I kept hearing "Go Elmo!", now I know why.

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

TMorin

I kept hearing "Go Elmo!", now I know why.

Thansk for posting this. I kept imagining a guy in a full Elmo suit right over my shoulder.

xor

Hey, for the peanut gallery, can y'all identify the WHO in these fancy pictures you are posting?

I don't know what most of you look like in real life.

Had I not met mikeymike once upon a time, I'd still think he was a very large, happy black man.  Old Grand Papi.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'd still think he was a very large, happy black man.  Old Grand Papi.

He is

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

xor

See now, I was fully expecting an immediate followup joke like "Roger Daltry didn't run Boston" or "the people in this picture are from My Ge-generation" or even "We can run for miles and miles".

But no.

Old Grand Papi for the win.

Imminent Catastrophe

Which one of these is Trent?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

Not sure, but I can guess which is sruiz. 

Which one of these is Trent?

I'll tell you what. Expecting him to look like one those, I stared right at Dr. Trent and had no idea it was him.  It was a busy sidewalk. 

xor

You should have been looking for me.

He looked like me for awhile.

Hey BadDawg, I was volunteering at the Mile 10 water stop, and I shouted at you as you ran by.  Just in case you were wondering who that random guy was who knew your name.  Smile

Hey, for the peanut gallery, can y'all identify the WHO in these fancy pictures you are posting?

I've only found a couple of known characters so far, I posted the first one because it has a Dirigo singlet front and center.  Pretty sure Blaine (RunToWin) runs (or maybe did once upon a time) in their colors.  The second pic is one that like tmorin, I'm glad I found.  He was near me for much of the race, I kept hearing "Go Elmo" all along the course.  The last thing you want is to get your ass kicked by somebody in a costume, so it's nice to see it was just a shirt.  I also love the HFC Striders singlet in the pic, it stands for Hurtin For Certain which is pretty appropriate for Boston.

Hey BadDawg, I was volunteering at the Mile 10 water stop, and I shouted at you as you ran by.  Just in case you were wondering who that random guy was who knew your name.  Smile

It's hard to imagine the din of the crowd on the course, it's awesome.  I think I fist pumped for about 75% of the "go Lowell" that I heard, and at least gave a smile for the rest.  I'm sure there were plenty that I didn't hear.  Then there are the shout-outs by name that cut through, and they're the best.  I can't recall seeing you since Mikey's FORR race (which is coming up again) so I was a ways down the road before I could place the face.  For me at least it really does give a boost, so thanks!

The Swamp's dnephin (1521), it's a pity the bib covered up the skull and crossbones on his singlet.

E.J.

You should have been looking for me.

He looked like me for awhile.

Let me know the next time you're in N.Y./N.J. I'd be glad to. 

xhristopher