Finally a diagnosis... Hallux Limitus. Time to retire? (Read 3289 times)

Bugs

Anybody got this? Did you keep running?

Took 7 months to figure out why my feet, shins, achilles, knees, pelvis and back all hurt and would not heal even though I was not running. I saw podiatrist twice, 30 chiropractic visits, 3 acupuncture visits, 1 family doctor (+many emails) , was referred (but never went) to rheumatologist  because surely all this pain means I'm autoimmune, and referred (but never went) to dietitian because clearly not eating enough protein, and then put on Lexapro because clearly this pain is all in my head. 

Many days I just ached and would crawl into bed and cry while my husband tried to comfort me... alcohol worked too.

Only to say hell with the chiropractor, physical therapist and my family doctor (who wasn't offering any advice)  I'm going to a different podiatrist and he knew in about 10 seconds I had Hallux Limitus, pain in the big toe and my gait (walking and running) was adjusting for it. So that is why my ankle was shaking, couldn't balance on one foot, and would fall... cancel the neurological referral I don't have the disease my sister has. 

The podiatrist put special pads under my inserts and said you need to bike and swim more, which I love.

I've hurt everyday for the last 7 months and spent thousands of dollars trying to fix me. I'm just not sure I even want to run... Would love to know if someone got this, learned to protect that toe joint and ran on happily for years. Right now I'm worried if I keep running I want me able to walk when I'm 50. I don't want to run, but miss my running friends..

Bugs

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I have nothing of value to tell you in terms of running, but just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you. This obviously has been an incredibly difficult journey thus far. I hope you find peace in whatever ends up being the end result.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Bugs, on one hand I'm sorry to hear about the diagnosis. But, at least you finally have an answer and can stop with all the other treatments that were causing you all sorts of stress. I'm site you can buy lots of cool biking gear for a fraction of what you were paying the chiropractor, etc. Hopefully you'll get a good answer. But my general advice is do what feels right--running, biking, swimming, whatever should be enjoyable. Don't force it.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'm confused. Hallux Limitus simply means "stiff big toe". It is a description, not a diagnosis.

MTA: Ahh. Simply a fancy word for toe arthritis.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

wasn't that the name of the horse in LOTR series?

• Black Canyon 100k
            • RRR
            • Zane Grey 100k
            • High Lonesome 100
            • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
            • The Bear 100
            • Javelina Jundred (?)

Bugs

I'm confused. Hallux Limitus simply means "stiff big toe". It is a description, not a diagnosis.

MTA: Ahh. Simply a fancy word for toe arthritis.

Yes, that is true.. I paid big bucks for the fancy word.

One of my metatarsals is a little too long and when my big toe bends it jams into metatarsal. Creating arthritis.  It is genetic, and more than likely no matter what I do will want surgery one day for the arthritis. The surgery to fix the metatarsal doesn't make sense for me, not making the Olympic team at my age.

Bugs

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I was wondering if surgery might be an option.  Olympics or no, it's making you miserable.  In any case, hope you find a good way to deal with that bad boy.

evanflein

Sorry to hear this, Bugs, but it's good to have a diagnosis. The constant searching for answers was wearing you down. But foot problems suck. I've had metatarsalgia for years and it's in maintenance mode now. I sure hope you can get back to running soon, even though biking and swimming are good too. You're a talented runner; I hope you can find the joy in it again.

danworley

Well, I have this diagnosis also. I had problems due to this. This causedlantar fascitis and I missed quite a bit of running to this. The best thing I did was go to a podiatrist who works with athletes. He helped me out big time. Obviously you can't cure flexes limit us (osteoarthritis of the great toe), but you can do things to control the symptoms. I was told to continue running, training for marathons because doing less may not "save the joint for later in life". One of the best things he recommended was using rocker shoes throughout the day. They are also called tone ups I think. Skeechers makes the tennis shoe but you can also get dress shoes. Basically your feet roll on the shoe so you don't have to flex or push. Off with your great toe. So I save all my toe bending for running. I have flare ups at times that need ibuprofen, ice, rest, cortisone shot if needed etc. The podiatrist also recommended to try a graphite insert in shoe to limit toe moment during running. Just to be put in shoe of affected toe. I haven't needed to try this yet. I know there is info out there maybe even on this site. Hope some of that helps. Good luck!

Bugs

Led,

There is a surgery to fix but is not recommended, painful, months off 1 foot at a time, and not always successful. When I read about people that have the more serious condition Hallux Regidus?, it is sounds awfully painful.

Erika,

Yes I'm very glad to know why and with the podiatrist orthotic I'm feeling better.  It has been seven months of chronic pain and I'm just not ready to sign-up for more yet. You recall my first injury training for Grandmas was feet. I saw this same doctor then, and apparently he told me all this, but at the time I was young and seemed everybody was saying, "don't run" and I blew him off. 7 months of pain has my attention.

Dan,

Thanks for advice and Dr. name. Your doctor is limiting motion, mine went with pad, that basically goes under pads of other toes, so the big toe joint has a place to drop. 

I see the podiatrist in a month, and will be able to ask more questions then. 

Bugs

djtaylor

I had hallux limitus by age 24 or so and now have hallux rigidus ten years later.  It is sometimes painful but by far the biggest problem is compensation injuries due to overusing 2-5 metatarsals.  I saw a PT several times last year while fighting an awful synovitis/capsulitis issue in my second toe and she was amazed to see that I walked without using the big toe at all.  I had somehow devolved into a gait that only used my smaller four toes.

I now spend an inordinate amount of time each day doing the following:

• Stretch my calf (standard wall stretch and runner's stretch)
                        • Space my toes out with a finger in between each toe and wiggle them trying to keep as much motion as possible in the big toe
                        • While finger-spacing my toes with one hand, massage the ball of the foot with the other hand, working out the "crunchies" as my masseuse calls them
                        • Wear Correct Toes most of the day and while sleeping (but I don't run in them).

My foot has continually improved each month since I began this obsessive regimen late last year.  I'm actually somewhat optimistic that I have a handle on the problem now and knocked out an 80 mile week a few weeks back.

Wear Correct Toes most of the day and while sleeping (but I don't run in them).

My foot has continually improved each month since I began this obsessive regimen late last year.  I'm actually somewhat optimistic that I have a handle on the problem now and knocked out an 80 mile week a few weeks back.

Are the Correct Toes one unit , or individual toe spacers?  Can you really sleep in them?  Do they hurt like Yoga toes?  Do they fall off easlily?

Thanks,

I have a mega bunion and have been trying all sorts of splints, etc. 

- Anya

djtaylor

Are the Correct Toes one unit , or individual toe spacers?  Can you really sleep in them?  Do they hurt like Yoga toes?  Do they fall off easlily?

Thanks,

I have a mega bunion and have been trying all sorts of splints, etc. 

The Correct Toes are one unit.  I have previously used FlexTastic, which is a cheap Yoga toes knock-off, and the CTs are superior in that you can walk around in them without even knowing they are there.  The CTs do not fall off like the Yoga toes tend to do, aside from when I get out of the shower (which is also when I clean them) and they sometimes need to be pushed back in due to the moisture.

It took me 2-3 months before I consistently slept the whole night with them on.  While my toes were still getting used to them it was common for me to wake up in the middle of the night in some (fairly minor) discomfort that was alleviated by taking them off and going back to sleep.  I have to wear crew socks while sleeping because otherwise the friction between the CT silicone and my sheets is annoying.

I have a mega bunion too on my hallux rigidus toe (I think it comes with the territory), and I highly doubt the CTs will fix it, but I'm hopeful that it will not get worse.  I've bought a lot of crap over the past couple years trying to fix my feet (including two $$ pairs of custom orthotics), and Correct Toes and a green theraband for calf stretches are the only things I believe to be worthwhile.  They are pretty friggin expensive though.

Meghann915

I'm 28 year old marathon runner (including Boston!) and I was diagnosed with bilateral hallux rigidus 4 years ago. I continued to run through it until the pain in my feet, hips, back, and glutes was so severe it was effecting every aspect of my life all day long. I have been seeing a surgical podiatrist who speciailizes in athletes... even has some Olympic track runners in his client pool Smile Not to mention he was a collegiate runner himself. We were very conservative for a long time... but 2 weeks ago today, I had a bilateral cheilectomy. It was one of the hardest, scariest decisions I have ever made. All I wanted was some one to talk to who was a runner and had been through the surgery before. Because of this... I am blogging about my progress on my nutrition blog. If you think this would be helpful, check it out!

http://www.eatingwelltofeelwell.com/?cat=15

Bugs

Meghann915,

Thanks for posting. I admire your ability to gut through pain. I look forward to following your recovery. 

Since the change in orthotic I am pain free for walking and daily activities. I can now swim, lift weights, etc.. without worrying about injury, which I could not before the diagnosis/pads added to inserts.  I am letting my hallux joint rest now as I get shin splints from even a little jog, and hopefully I will be able to run 2 x week and focus on triathlons in the future. I admire the mega-marathon runners that posted... that kind of running is just too much to think about right now.

For those of you that have this, what type of running shoe do you find helps the condition? Do you use a stiff shoe that reduces the bend in toe? 

Bugs