Official Time versus Garmin Time (Read 1269 times)

When I lost the satellite signal on my Garmin, the time kept going.
    Well the last race I ran my garmin showed I ran 35 seconds quicker than my chip time. I used my chip time for my records. The garmin also showed the race at 9.7 km not 10. I attributed both discrepencies to a loss of the signal. But there may be another reason.......I don't know. MTA for time I use total time running, this is different from the clock feature.......I think. I'll have to look later. It makes sense that if you lose the signal the device doesn't know you are running. If you are using "Time" as a watch than it may well keep ticking.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

A Saucy Wench

If you are using a true watch I would use it as your official time. The thing about the Garmins and other GPS devices is, if you lose the sat. signal it pauses until it picks up the signal again.You wouldn't notice this pause and it scews everything, time, distance and pace.
      This is an optional setting on your Garmin. (on the 301 it is under Training Assistant - Auto Pause/Lap ) You can have it stop timing if you drop below a certain pace. If you turn this feature off it works as a backup timing device. I never use this setting, even on training runs. If I want to stop timing, I hit the button.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I think this thread has gotten a little convoluted by the use of the term "Garmin time." I think the original poster was referring to the time she measured on her stopwatch (which happened to be a Garmin) as compared to the race's non-chipped gun time. In that case, it's really up to your discretion how to record it, but obviously, the inclination is to use your watch's time if it takes you a while to get to the starting line. I don't pay any attention to the "Garmin Time" you get from the GPS and see on MotionBased. I only use the (Garmin) stopwatch time and gun time. (But I haven' yet run a race where I had a long trip to the starting line).

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Yes, Jeff, that is exactly what I meant, just stop watch time versus the official time. I do happen to have a Garmin, but I meant the time I looked down and hit stop. Not the uploaded "Time moving" or any of that stuff. I have the auto stop shut off because I hit STOP when I want to stop. Thanks everyone for your posts!!

http://www.runningnotes.net

TRIing to beat the heat!

I use the official time. When I ran my very first 5K, I started in the middle to back of a pack of nearly 2,000 people! Bad move! My Polar stopwatch time and my chip time were nearly 30 seconds apart (the race was only timed at the finish; there were no starting mats). Still, I logged my results in my RA log using Chip time. For my second 5K (with over 1,000 people), I started 4 to 5 rows from the front. Yes, I put myself up there with the speedsters and let them go around me. Again, there was no starting mat... just a finishing one. My Chip time and my Polar time were mere seconds apart this time. That, I can live with. Cool

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL