First 50K (Read 902 times)

Runner

Did my first 50K trail run. Stump Jump in Chattanooga TN did it in 6:30:21. Suffered some but should have pushed it a little more at times. Good first experience with a good bit of elevation change.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

Run the race God set B4U

WOW Shocked I'm impressed, GREAT JOB!!!!!!
      5K's (11), Half Marathon (1), Relay Marathon (1), 15K's (2)
      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Gee, that's a long way. Congratulations.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I've done training runs of 29 miles, so I have given some thought to a 50K someday. The big difference is my runs have been pancake flat, don't think I"d be brave enough for the first to be a trail run with significant elevation changes. Well done, congrats!

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Nice work! My first one was last September. Couldn't fit it into my schedule this year though.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Wow!!! Congrats Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

Imminent Catastrophe

Race report please.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Runner

I just talked to someone who said this years race had somewhere around 3300 feet of climbing(according to most altimeters). Race posts 2200 but many confirm that the origninal mapping done was off a lot and this was before course was lengthenned. I started well knowing the first part of the course would bottleneck a lot of folks at around mile 6 I wanted to get closer to the front. I felt really good all the way until about mile 17 then started to slow quite a bit. I was passed by several friends at mile 26 that I couldn't believe I had been in front of for any of the race much less through 26 miles. The last 5 miles were pretty rough as there was a LOT of climbing and technical parts to deal with. I finished 64th in 6:30 and change. I think this race was pretty hard but I notices I wasn't nearly as sore as with a road marathon. The training was way different and nutrition was my main limiting factor IMHO. At mile 18 or so I was at an aid station taking in some Heed and food and the girl there their pointed out to me that I looked dry. I thought "no way" I alway sweat like a stuck hog so I looked down to my surprise no sweat on my arms any where. I knew then my pre-race days were not good nutritionally. I started drinking a lot more knowing if I didn't the last miles would be a true test. I started to have some knots in my quads near the end after a lot of up hill sections there. I had to stop and stretch to make it possible to run when I got to flat sections. This paid off because the last 2 miles I had recovered quite a bit to finish somewhat strong. Overall I think if I did another race my training was pretty spot on except for my attention to my nutrition. It being my first 50K I feel pretty good about future races.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

Congrats! STump Jump is over in my old stomping grounds...lived around there about 22 years ago. Glad to hear the review...the girl I ran my recent 50k with, is from Chattanooga and we were talking about doing Stump Jump some year...

Jennifer mm#1231