Forums --> RSS Feeds / Notification (Read 791 times)

Adam

Don't know if this is the first time the idea has been mentioned (I'm guessing it's not) - but I think there would be a large benefit from some kind of notification when a forum is updated.  I'm in multiple groups that vary on when people respond to the forums - some time critical (like training plans that need to be seen by next week) and some non-time critical (like who likes what beer this week).  It's hard always having to check the website to see if things are updated instead of being notified when they are updated.  Possible ideas include ...

RSS Feed address for each forum - plug into feed reader of choice (I'm assuming private groups would have to be given "complicated" public forum RSS addresses to use - similar to Facebook notification RSS feed)

Email / text notifications - option to update any forum (public or private) you have participated in, or any forum in a group you're in, or customize which forums you want

Eric - you're so responsive on this stuff - how do you keep track of this "Suggestions and Feature Requests" forum so you know what is worth responding to?  Do you just browse and keep checking back?

LOVE RUNNINGAHEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IIRC: Eric wrote the forum software from scratch himself (just to demonstrate how awesome he is I'm guessing) and would like to add that feature when he gets the chance to update the forums.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Eric - you're so responsive on this stuff - how do you keep track of this "Suggestions and Feature Requests" forum so you know what is worth responding to?  Do you just browse and keep checking back?

He has an RSS feed.

eric :)

I've been meaning to add RSS for a long time now.  Every time I go through my list of requests, RSS is past up for one reason or another.  For a while, I was considering adding email notifications instead because that could be less demanding on the server.  It should not be hard to add it.  I just need to find the time for it.

eric :-)

The shirtless wonder

I've been meaning to add RSS for a long time now.  Every time I go through my list of requests, RSS is past up for one reason or another.  For a while, I was considering adding email notifications instead because that could be less demanding on the server.  It should not be hard to add it.  I just need to find the time for it.

eric :-)

There is a possibility that RSS would be less demanding.  If you assume that Google Reader would be the most popular reader (and I know that's a big assumption to make) then it probably wouldn't be that bad.  I think google hits a site RSS feed occasionally and then caches that for all of the Google Reader users that subscibe to the feed.

So, based on two assumptions RSS feeds would be better than email alerts!

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

I second the request for an RSS feed.  Sometimes I have a hard time finding the forum I visited two days ago, if it no longer in the right-hand column of the main forums page. 

That, or some notification function - such as on Facebook or on Daily Mile - that shows me that there have been comments made on an an item on which I had commented.

I'm new here, and really like all the technical/data functionality of the site.  A little more social functionality - such as notification for updates or responses in forums - would be just perfect.  Thanks so much.  This site is wonderful.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

Email notification has my vote over RSS ....  considering that not everybody if using rss - not that it is difficult to install a reader , but ...

I suggest that the notification includes the content of the post as well as a link to the topic ( or post  what ever you prefer).

I hate it when I receive a notification and that I need to click and get authenticated and all to read a comment which is not THAT valuable

( like mine you may think Smile )

So.. if you're going to code notification to new posts in threads that people have posted then you might as well have that available through the web site too. Arguably this is more useful than the current sidebar showing the threads with recent activity, although there could be both.