Anyone else disappointed with Hansons Method? (Read 576 times)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

One thing to add to the discussion of easy pace from a few pages back: I really think that if one is doing enough volume in terms of mileage, the easy pace sorts itself out with less thought. The trouble I see with the lower mileage plans is that fatigue isn't accumulated as significantly, so there is the temptation to run easy runs in that kinda purposeless zone. With higher mileage totals, I found I ended up looking forward to the easy runs and had no trouble keeping them at about 1:15-1:30 slower than MP. I also did some much slower, recovery paced, runs and thought they really helped keep me healthy.

For what it's worth, I used Hudson marathon level 3 with added mileage for the training I'm referencing. I averaged 70 mpw for 20 weeks, and twice went over 100 (had a couple weeks of illness that took the average down a bit). I didn't do a whole lot of faster running, but focused on the volume and took 16 min off my PR with a 2:56. Needless to say, I now have a lot of faith in just running miles. Still, I'm trying to incorporate more speed this cycle to really grasp the differences between training emphases.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Ready to race!

Now that is as impressive as anything I've ever seen on these boards, especially for someone with a full-time job!

Thanks, I appreciate that.  I didn't really put that in there to bragg or anything, I just think every training plan has it's target runner and everyone's race plan is different.  It's critical to find the right one for what you are doing.  I'm racing over 400 miles a year, I need to train a lot of miles.  Yes, it is challenging with a full time job, I'm also a volunteer coach, web master and school board member with a wife and 2 kids.  I think that plays into it.  You have to find one that fits your life style.  Being 47 years old, I don't recover as well as younger runners either so there's that.  So many variables.  It's an ongoing experiment, but a fun ride.

Mescal