getting a treadmill (Read 594 times)

DH just got a promotion which means he will not be home as much or working sane hours. For me this means I will no longer have someone to watch my 3 kids on a regular basis while I go run- so I have decided to buy a treadmill so at least I will still be able to run when I can't actually go out on the road to run. My problem is- I know nothing about treadmills- I don't want to spend a fortune, but I want a good one that will last. Does anyone have any recommendations for treadmills?

Half Fanatic #846

Hi - I've had my Pro-Form (C11i?? - models change all the time) TM about three years now, and have put a fair amount of mileage on it (I wish it had a mileage counter on it) - I'd rather run outside, but when it's 98 deg. outside, or cold and rainy, or I can't get out, it's really nice to have! One of the best features it has is a TWO SPEED FAN centered on the console - most TMs don't have this. I shopped around and ordered it off the Internet - it was low to mid-priced at about $700. Had to have it serviced last month & Sears came out and did this for $64, even though they don't sell this brand. I've used several different TMs at the gym which didn't seem to have much "give" or cushioning; this one has noticeable FOOTBOARD CUSHIONING that I like, and is probably not as hard on the joints as other kinds. Another thing that's important - make sure the WALKING BELT is wide enough; I'd say at least 20" wide. Don't get a TM - with a really small/cheap MOTOR either - it'll just wear out faster. Hope this helps! Smile

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Froggy the webby guy

For myself up here in Canada, I don't do winter running outside. Last year for Christmas I got a Bremshey trdml, made by Turnturi. I have run on all kind of treadmills and it the best I ever had, it is a real runner treadmill (meaning it has the feel of running outside but without going anywhere fast) fitness Depot used to carry that brand in Canada, I compare it with the Horizon t40 and did like the bouncy feeling of all that cushioning, pavement don't usual bounce back to much. So for around 1400$ canadian dollars, i bought that Bremshey one, and I have used it quite a bit. It is in the middle range price, Costco has an Epic one that my friend bought he likes it but he only use it for interval training when he can't use his bike.. That costco one was around 900$ can, just prior to Christmas. There is a sight call Dr. Treadmill, google it, and it gives review on price and all kind of Here's two links I used: http://www.treadmilldoctor.com/ http://www.treadmilltips.com/ Happy hunting Yves
        Great white north, not so great in winter

,I run cause I can, take care we care.

Yves
          My father has a Sole F80. It is very nice, I would recommend it to anyone. They may however be a bit pricey, I think around $1500 Check out the Treadmilldoctor.com site. I found the site to be very helpful when I bought my elliptical.