PR's - rules for claiming or stating a PR? (Read 1382 times)

Feeling the growl again

I have found many certified race courses with horribly placed mile markers.

Hell the year I ran Las Vegas Marathon - I hit Mile # 25 marker in 2:53 and mile # 26 in 2:55 ... Finished in 255 and some change - So I suppose I ran that mile in a sub 3 minute range ... 

Certification does NOTHING for mile markers...seems at least 1/3 to 1/2 of certified races I have run have at least some obvious error in mile markers.  Even if they are off, I'd never use GPS for PR purposes though...guaranteed to be off.

If the race is obviously long or short, there's not rescuing it, it's just ineligible for anything.

I've used splits for PRs if they seem reliable.  My 10-mile PR is the split from a HM.  My 5K, 8K and 10K PRs are all from the same race...on the track, so intermediate distances are reliable.  Of course my 5K PR is from the second half, so I had a flying start...technically that means it shouldn't count but since it is my PR and the first 5K was only 2sec off my 5K PR at the time I don't think the flying start conferred an unfair advantage.  I should probably go back and figure out what I ran the last 8K in...that is the only way I could log a PR this year....I know my slowest mile was the first but I never thought to add the splits up that way.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Marathon Maniac #3309

Last December I ran a trail marathon and because of the weather they had to alter the course the morning of the race. The course was clearly at least two miles short... at least. Afterwords I heard people talking about it saying "I don't care if it was short. It's going in the record book as a PR." 

Oh yeah Tecumseh was short...bout forgot about that. Hated that there and back nonsense, but we will run it the point to point way this year....the way it's going, may be a muddy mess tho  Smile

My finish time was just that - a finish time....I did not count my time as being accurate.

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

DoppleBock

I choose to not take the interim - Even if accurate as I like more chances at PRs -  

Certification does NOTHING for mile markers...seems at least 1/3 to 1/2 of certified races I have run have at least some obvious error in mile markers.  Even if they are off, I'd never use GPS for PR purposes though...guaranteed to be off.

If the race is obviously long or short, there's not rescuing it, it's just ineligible for anything.

I've used splits for PRs if they seem reliable.  My 10-mile PR is the split from a HM.  My 5K, 8K and 10K PRs are all from the same race...on the track, so intermediate distances are reliable.  Of course my 5K PR is from the second half, so I had a flying start...technically that means it shouldn't count but since it is my PR and the first 5K was only 2sec off my 5K PR at the time I don't think the flying start conferred an unfair advantage.  I should probably go back and figure out what I ran the last 8K in...that is the only way I could log a PR this year....I know my slowest mile was the first but I never thought to add the splits up that way.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !