Half marathon 8 days before Full marathon? (Read 455 times)

old woman w/hobby

-I'm running a marathon on the 18th of Nov.  

-My training plan calls for a 5k or 10k or TT  on the 10th.

-DH wanted to run a half marathon on the 10th so rather than spectate I signed up too.

My thought was that I could warm up for a few miles then do a garmin 10k TT then cool

down till finish.  Yes, I'd line up farther back than if I were racing it.

My questions are:

Does the milage difference between a 10k and a half make that much difference?

If I were to race the half how detrimental would it be to my marathon?  If at all.

Not a PR type marathon... it seems that there will be lots of hills.  

But I do want to do as well as I can under the circumstances.

MTA:  Probably over thinking this.

steph  

OCD  If you don't laugh...   

I think your plan is fine - just don't try and do the whole HM full effort.

Black-Toe-Nailed

The last time somebody told me it would be folly to run a marathon and 2 weeks after that a 10K race I did a PR on the marathon and on the 10K.

Even conservative trainers like Bob Glover wouldn't pose any objections to your plan. Your mileage seems high enough and I think you will be able to do both. Shouldn't be a big deal.

Thus: Success!! and above all Enjoy!!!

--

"If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years,
        then will power is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter.
        I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to."

Emil Zatopek

old woman w/hobby

Thanks!  I've come to my senses.  

I will keep my self under control and just do a TT in the middle some whereSmile

steph  

OCD  If you don't laugh...   

I personally would not recommend a 10K time trial 1 week before your marathon while in a taper. You did a 10K race on Oct 27.  I just think you need to dial in on your marathon pace. Take 6-9 miles and tune into your marathon pace. This is more of an "event specific" work out. The rest of miles comfortable during the 13.1 miles. You can probably get away with the 10K time trial but I don't see the need and you risk beating yourself up during a taper. I would prefer the 5K if fixed on doing it.

Those who try, fail! Those who do what it takes to succeed, succeed!!