Sub 25 minute 5k - Woohoo (Read 1250 times)

Now that was a bath...

One of my goals for 2007 was to run 5km in under 25 minutes but I guess I will have to make that my goal for 2006 as today I ran 5K in 24:36 at a 7:56 pace! That's three minutes faster than two days ago! Ok, I have to admit that my breathing was difficult at that pace but my legs were great and I really enjoyed it. I think that tomorrow I will up the distance and slow the pace again with the aim of running longer distances throughout January and February with some speed improvement worked in to March. My poor husband - i got back from the run and woke him up to tell him my news. Under the conditions I think he did very well to look impressed! I'll have to think of a new 5K goal for 2007 now! Claire xxx
  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Claire!!! REST, girl!! Remeber your poor knee?

Roads were made for journeys...

Prophet!

Superstar!!! Way to Go.
          Wow! Excellent work!
          I think that tomorrow I will up the distance and slow the pace again with the aim of running longer distances throughout January and February with some speed improvement worked in to March.
          Great idea. If I were you, I'd pick a few 5K's in the April-June timeframe. Take the next couple of months to run easy mileage with occasional strides. Then in March add some tempos/tempo intervals. Run the first of the spring 5K's off of just mileage and tempos, then add a few 3-5K pace workouts on sprinkled in on the weeks you are not racing--aiming to peak for a 5K in June. You could still run your race in January as it is long enough to be a good workout for your goals. Just my .02, whatever you do, best wishes and congrats on the progress in such a short span!

Runners run

Wingz

Professional Noob

Great idea. If I were you, I'd pick a few 5K's in the April-June timeframe. Take the next couple of months to run easy mileage with occasional strides. Then in March add some tempos/tempo intervals. Run the first of the spring 5K's off of just mileage and tempos, then add a few 3-5K pace workouts on sprinkled in on the weeks you are not racing--aiming to peak for a 5K in June. You could still run your race in January as it is long enough to be a good workout for your goals. Just my .02, whatever you do, best wishes and congrats on the progress in such a short span!
            's true. I was only reacting to your plan to go run longer tomorrow after running faster today. Roll eyes Runners. Claire, how does the race season go, down-under? Do they still have 5Ks going on in the middle of winter (June)? You could do a lot worse than listen to Mikeymike... Wink

Roads were made for journeys...

va

That is awesome! You have some serious natural ability.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Dayum, gurl! Now, be careful! You just got yourself all better...don't turn around and do something to really mess yourself up. Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Congrats Claire! That is just awesome progress! It's definitely "woot" material, so woot! Big grin Remember to rest!
                  RunningHammer

One of my goals for 2007 was to run 5km in under 25 minutes but I guess I will have to make that my goal for 2006 as today I ran 5K in 24:36 at a 7:56 pace! That's three minutes faster than two days ago!
                    Congrats me ol' china - that is bloody good going....but you got to wotch out for doing too much too soon....surefire way to get a long-term injury - not that i want to temp fate or anything or cast a black cloud... Wink Well done!! Cheers Davey

Now that was a bath...

Well so far I am doing exactly what my physio advised. Started with 20 minutes on day one and she said over the course of seven day to get myself back up to the distances I was running prior to the knee problem. She said that as long as the knee feels fine then I can keep increasing distance but not to add hills immediately and to introduce them slowly. So I am not being entirely naughty! Blush I have actually had no issue with my knee at all since running again although my right ankle feels a little strained after taking on my weight whilst I limped around - but it doesn't feel like something I shouldn't run through and I ice both ankle and knee after every run. Today I ran/walked because I wanted to go easy on myself and yesterday's run left me not wanting to push hard today. Tomorrow is a rest day and the next two days after that I am going to run slow and steady again. Then I will have been running one week so i should be looking at resuming normal schedule minus the hills. My immediate thought is that I will run up the hills and walk down them for a while as it is downhill that probably caused my injury. I've almost come to the point where I miss my hills! They make the run more fun and more of a challenge too! I can't remember who it was on here that said 'Hills are your friend' but I now have that for my hill mantra! Claire xxx
                    • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                    • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                        WOOHOOOOOOOO WTG Claire!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

WOW! Look what a 'little' rest can do! BTW, how is 2007 on your side of the world? Happy New Year! Ewa
                          I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
                          JakeKnight

You're officially starting to scare me. And now I really want to see the results of a drug test. You're a freak. So, freak ... are you running that 12-k, or what? Or is that too wimpy for you now? Cool

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

WOW...I can only dream of that pace! I'll take a sub 29-min to beat my PR for now. Great job!!!

Finished!

holy smokes! Well done! and do remember to take it easy Big grin you've got that 12k coming up Wink
                                Walk + Jog = wog.
                                I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
                                I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry