average running time in a 5K for a 49 year old woman (Read 28240 times)

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I agree that the 50% time looks slow but then again I'm not a 49 yr old woman.  The median time in that division for local races seems to be close.  Division winners are in mid 20s.  Note that the OP appears to be somewhat new to running.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

48 y-o chiming in.  My best this year was 24:08 (good enough for 2nd or 3rd out of 10 or so in my age group in that particular race). 

But today, I chose a teeny tiny race, and came in first female overall with a pedestrian 27:20.  Small races are GREAT!

I agree that the 50% time looks slow but then again I'm not a 49 yr old woman.  

Right, but part of the idea with age grading is it's supposed to be a way of comparing performances across different ages and the sexes. In theory a 50% age grading should be just as hard (or easy) irrespective of age or sex. So to get a feeling for what it should feel like look up what time a 50% age grading means for you.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Right, but part of the idea with age grading is it's supposed to be a way of comparing performances across different ages and the sexes. In theory a 50% age grading should be just as hard (or easy) irrespective of age or sex. So to get a feeling for what it should feel like look up what time a 50% age grading means for you.

Yeah, I know.  It was a bad attempt at humor.  For me, 50% = 27 mins.  My season best is 73%.  Interestingly, my BIL can just about run 30 mins for the 5k (43%tile) yet he's an Ironman... some folks are just slow and steady.  

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

I think you may be looking at the tables incorrectly.  A 50% means that you run at 50% the speed of the baseline time, which is roughly the world record for that age group.  For example, if you score an 80%, this doesn't mean that you are in the top 20%, you would be much higher than that.

If you want to take the average 49 year old woman, then the correct average is DNS.  So anyone who starts the race is above average.  If you want to know the average among people who enter races, the best way is to look up race results for the race you want to run.

Thank you for taking the time to read my signature!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

If you want to take the average 49 year old woman, then the correct average is DNS. 

So true.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Queen of 3rd Place

48 y-o chiming in.  My best this year was 24:08 (good enough for 2nd or 3rd out of 10 or so in my age group in that particular race). 

But today, I chose a teeny tiny race, and came in first female overall with a pedestrian 27:20.  Small races are GREAT!

Yay, Econo!! 

Ex runner

+5 for Hufflepuff.

Just watched Harry Potter #4- they are getting scarier.

philibusters

Hi, I'm trying to get some idea of what the average running time should be for a 49 year old woman in a 5 K race. I know that it's hard to generalize but I need SOME idea and something to shoot for. I haven't yet run a race and I am just breaking the 2.5 mile mark of my running. Your fedback would be appreciated... thanks, Claudia

27 to 30 minutes for a woman who runs regularly and is in decent shape, though a lot of people who run 5k's are weekend warriors and don't necessarily run regularly.  The time range I picked was off the top of my head, I gave you my estimate because I think you wanted a time range, but there are lots of people who are faster and slower than that range.

If you are just breaking the 2.5 mile mark for a run, you still have a ways to go in training though.  When you can do four or five mile runs  routinely and you can do an occasional longer run of six or seven miles then you will have a nice 5k base.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Pedestrian.  Heh.