Anyone ever run in or around an airport on a long layover? (Read 924 times)

A Saucy Wench

Depends on the airport.  Kara Goucher did it at PDX once, but there is almost a mile of sidewalked boulevard between the highway and the airport and if you know where you are going you can get a nice river run in about1/4 mile.

if your hand is slid over on the keyboard mile becomes nuke. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

if your hand is slid over on the keyboard mile becomes nuke. 

Yeah...don't go typing that while at the airport. Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

Yeah...don't go typing that while at the airport. Tongue

"I'm gonna go run a nuke now"  

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

"I'm gonna go run a nuke now"  

Hopefully the TSA is gentle.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Best Present Ever

Unfortunately that's not possible in Denver, you have to take the train between terminals so that limits you to walking in just one.

No you don't have to take the train.You can walk from terminal to terminal. I've done it.

Run Wild

you know, I've had an idea for years now...   A business like Gold’s Gym or something like that that would open up little mini gyms in airports.  I’m a pretty dedicated trail runner and don’t have much use for treadmills.  But, if my connecting airport had a mini gym, I would certainly pay a few bucks and hop on it during the long layovers.

tomatolover

I recall reading an article sometime in the past 9 monts from  the nytimes about airport fitness centers but can't find it...did find this in USA Today about Airports w/gyms

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/story/2012-02-20/Airports-get-into-the-fitness-craze-for-stressed-travelers/53177398/1

I think it's a great & untapped airport idea & convinced it may soon catch on

I recall reading an article sometime in the past 9 monts from  the nytimes about airport fitness centers but can't find it...did find this in USA Today about Airports w/gyms

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/story/2012-02-20/Airports-get-into-the-fitness-craze-for-stressed-travelers/53177398/1

I think it's a great & untapped airport idea & convinced it may soon catch on

If I were a chiropractor, I'd open shop at an airport.

They have barbers.  Why not back-crackers?

I think it would need to be multi-airport service with proper medical records and proper background checks (x-ray's on file, ...), but for as much as some people travel, and sit in those chairs (plane or waiting), adjustments sound appealing.

Hub airports like Atlanta, DFW, Minneapolis, ... could use that service.
                  Likely, though, they're already there, and I'm too cheap to even notice as I'm looking for the Chili's Too to find a couple 20oz beverages.

Cheers,

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Run Wild

I think it would be really cool if I could run at an airport fitness center!

I would certainly do it!

npaden

Went ahead and did it. Beautiful morning, 70 degrees, 42% humidity, DP 46, South wind at 3 mph. Not sure what was up with my HRM, but it seemed to be reading higher than it should be the entire run, not sure if it was legit or if it was reading high. Ran in the west economy parking lot. Interesting run, lots of Subarus, Prius, etc., lots of ski racks, bicycle racks and bumper stickers on the cars and lots of bunny rabbits. Overall it was actually a pretty neat run. Glad I did it.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Went ahead and did it. Beautiful morning, 70 degrees, 42% humidity, DP 46, South wind at 3 mph. Not sure what was up with my HRM, but it seemed to be reading higher than it should be the entire run, not sure if it was legit or if it was reading high. Ran in the west economy parking lot. Interesting run, lots of Subarus, Prius, etc., lots of ski racks, bicycle racks and bumper stickers on the cars and lots of bunny rabbits. Overall it was actually a pretty neat run. Glad I did it.

Nice that you make the best of the scenery you have, even if it's cars and bunnies.

Could the HR be related to the rarefied mile-high air?

Imminent Catastrophe

No you don't have to take the train.You can walk from terminal to terminal. I've done it.

Hmmm. Maybe from the main terminal to terminal A. I was there once when the train broke down and we had to wait 45 minutes for buses. At least for terminal B and C. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

Yes, I too don't know how to get to B and C without the train.  (you can walk from main to A. This I do regularly.)

npaden

Here's the map of my run

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/17b912e64ad246e9bbe4a270366a97f6/workouts/b57ca1054a2849f3b4c93df7cc7b4a7f/map

It really went very smooth and I still ended up with quite a bit of time to kill sitting around the airport.  Security might have taken 10 minutes tops coming back through with no issues at all.

2 airport parking employees saw me out there in the parking lot (plus the shuttle drivers) and one laughed at me and the other just walked by.  I said hello to folks parking their cars as they walked by and most were very friendly although I'm sure they all thought I was off my rocker.

Worst part of the whole experience was a dude dropping a duece with lots of grunting and groaning in the stall next to me when I was changing back into my traveling clothes.

No one seemed to notice my B.O. or anything, my co-workers watched my bag while I was out running and they still let me sit by them with no complaints and I'm pretty sure they would have said something or just moved away if I smelled very bad.  I probably have had worse B.O. on quick turnaround trips in Texas flying in and out the same day during the summertime wearing a suit.

Thought this might be someone on the site's car:

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp13/npaden/8a659dbd.jpg

Typical view during the run.

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp13/npaden/765b8b05.jpg

The airport.

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp13/npaden/ad87f2f5.jpg

I don't know if I'll ever have that long of a layover again, but if I do I would probably do something like this again, especially if the weather was nice like it was this morning.

Age: 50 Weight: 224 Height: 6'3" (Goal weight 195)

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

npaden-you made me smile this morning.  Thought that you were crazy when you started this thread.

I'm glad that you were able to get your run in!

steph