? about Hal Higdon training plan... (Read 1291 times)

I'm doing Hal Higdon's 15K training plan (currently on week 6). For the strength training, he suggests low weight/high reps for runners. Anybody know what "low weight" really means? I know its depends on the person, but I'm confused about how much I should be working towards. NOTE: I'm female, 32, 5'5", about 125 pounds. I've been running since November last year and I strength train about 2 times per week. I'm no body builder- just looking to firm up a little. Right now, I'm doing an average of 30-40 pounds on the circuit training machines at the Y. THanks for any advice! --Anna
    jeffdonahue

I would pick a set number that you consider high rep first and that will really determine what weight you are going to use. I personally like to set a range of reps, like 12-15 reps per set. I use a specific weight and when I can lift it 16 times I up the weight and can usually get myself into the 12 with the next higher weight. High reps could be 12-15 or 15-20, anything higher than that and I am not sure you would really be getting much benefit out of it as far as strength training goes.
      invisible

Anybody know what "low weight" really means?
        A weight that you can do 15-working up to- 20 reps with, with moderate effort.
        90 percent of the game is not giving up.
          Thanks! Based on your advice, I think I am right on target. I'm already doing 2 sets of 15 reps. Maybe I'll bump up the reps a little and see how i do.
          invisible

Thanks! Based on your advice, I think I am right on target. I'm already doing 2 sets of 15 reps. Maybe I'll bump up the reps a little and see how i do.
            You have to. The whole point is progressive overload. When you can do 20 reps, you add enough weight to bring the reps back to 15 and work up to 20 ad infinitum. Smile It's not really for pure strength, although you necessarily must get stronger by doing it. It's more for tissue building. When you have the mass that you want, you should lower the weight and up the reps to 40 working up to 50. When you get to 50, add enough weight to drop the reps down to 40 and do it again. That rep range fills the muscles with capillaries. So, you have mass (not a lot, but enough) with optimal blood supply. Strength training is 1- 6 reps as above. ...but I digress. Smile
            90 percent of the game is not giving up.