Olympic Marathon Trials Predictions--who do you like? (Read 1191 times)

Bruno

Just wondering what people here think the finishing order will be.

My predictions:

Men

1. Hall

2. Ritz

3. Meb? (I thought Rupp, but I guess he withdrew?)

Women

1. Flanagan

2. Davilla

3. Goucher

I am wondering if this thread can go half as long as the "Tebow" thread.

Yeah Rupp withdrew. So for the men at least Hall, Ritz and Meb look like shoe-ins for the three slots. Not necessarily in that order - they know that coming in the top three is what matters here, so it might be that nobody is that bothered about actually going for the win.

It would have been interesting with Rupp - because then you would have had four obvious contenders for the three slots (although Rupp is of course untested at this distance).

KvnJns

For the women I am betting that Desiree Davilla will win the womens. I gotta say that since she's from Michigan and had an outstanding Boston last year.

1.Davilla

2. Flanagan

3. Goucher

Kevin

Women:   1) Desi Davilla

2) Amy Hastings

3) Shalane Flanagan

Men:           1) Ryan Hall

2) Meb Keflezighi

3) Mo Trafeh if weather is warm, Jason Hartmann if weather is cool. (He is a big guy and more affected by heat.)

I see in my crystal ball Ritz pulling out injured, Kara Goucher pushing hard but beaten in the last few hundred metres. Kastor, Rhines, Russell and Boulet,  I am guessing, are simply not going to be able to stick with the lead group beyond 20-22 miles.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Men

1. Hall

2. Trafeh

3. Meb

Women

1. Flanagan

2. Davilla

3. Kastor

vegefrog

Women:   1) Desiree Davila

2) Amy Hastings

3) Shalane Flanagan

Men:           1) Ryan Hall

2) Meb Keflezighi

3) Brett Gotcher

I like Amy Hastings, I think she's due for an awesome race Saturday. I also like Davila, that article about her in Runners World this month was great.

Desi Shalane Amy Hastings Hall Jason Ritz

Kalsarikännit

What a start to racing.  This woman ran a 3:06 marathon two weeks after her first race.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

MoBramExam

Just wondering what people here think the finishing order will be.

My predictions:

Women

1. Flanagan

2. Davilla

3. Goucher 

Impressive.

Shows what the rest of us know!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Bummer.  One of my HS classmates was to run this as her last trial.  She ended up sidelined due to tendinitis in her knee.  I believe she still holds the school record in the 2 mile (and maybe the mile, I'm not sure).  She led our girls' XC team to state every year in HS.  She was an amazing runner as far back as I can remember.  Having seen her dedication and training gave me some significant insight into the lives these runners have led since before they even reached their teens.  I can remember Wendi running doubles all through HS...year-round, in all weather.  I was in awe of her then and I'm in awe of her, now.  She's already looking ahead at her career as a master's runner, as she'll be 40 in about a year.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

Impressive.

Slightly more impressive: Davila (one l)

vegefrog

I felt so bad for Ritz and Hastings...4th place is heartbreaking and they both were so close! Looks like a good team going to London for the USA though!!

Heartbreaking for Ritz.  He's quoted as saying "Maybe I'm not made for the marathon. Maybe I'm forcing it. Everybody wants me to be a marathoner, and I want to be a marathoner, but right now maybe it's not in the cards. Maybe it's just not there.  Maybe I've just got to turn my attention back to shorter distances." Never mind that this was a PR for him and the first time (as far as I know) that more than one guy ran sub-2:10 in the Trials (4 did!).  This was a big defeat and I hope he does well in the 10k.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles